Archangel: A New Era of Role-Playing

LeChris

https://habbo.codes/
Sep 30, 2013
Working on a ton of updates, most notably the settings area and another feature I'll share soon
You must be registered for see images attach

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
I removed the traditional pathfinder and clicking to walk. Movement is now done through arrow keys/wasd and you can toggle chat on/off by clicking tab.

Last edited:

LeChris

Sep 30, 2013
Implemented click to shoot which requires hitting the user for it to count, otherwise you will waste ammo. The intent behind the combat system of Archangel is to allow players to run and gun as they would on other games

A lot more work is being put into the combat system, this is nowhere close to complete

matotubol

Jan 7, 2021
Implemented click to shoot which requires hitting the user for it to count, otherwise you will waste ammo. The intent behind the combat system of Archangel is to allow players to run and gun as they would on other games

A lot more work is being put into the combat system, this is nowhere close to complete

Would be cool if there was a sound effect when shooting

LeChris

Sep 30, 2013
The source has been released . I will be continuing this development, but under a new name to reflect the transition from MS4 to Turbo.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
I'm going to continue maintaining the MS4 fork of Archangel. However, there will be major changes made to ensure it remains optimal in both performance and developer experience.

I'm refactoring all of the roleplay functionality to start with and will transition out to the rest of the base game, removing and refactoring functionality as needed to support a roleplay.

The new architecture is based around a domain driven design enabling better consolidating of code and reusability. Eventually, I will transition all of Arcturus to use hibernate entities, a context system and other goodies but that will take time.

You must be registered for see images attach

Silenos

Obsessed.
Aug 7, 2017
Great progress!

Does the WASD feel intuitive for an isometric game?
This depends on the type of movement mechanics and the camera perspective.

Habbo uses tile-based movement (not to be confused with grid-based movement) with point-and-click navigation - anything else would feel wrong/unnatural (in my opinion).

Directional mapping would be less straightforward than in top-down or 2D games.
Players often expect to e.g. move forward using "W", but in an isometric perspective this will not match with the visual layout (in most cases).

Diagonals are also allowed, so the isometric character has 8 directions in which he can look or walk.
This is not feasible with 4 buttons - well, at least not in a way that makes it fun.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
Great progress!

Does the WASD feel intuitive for an isometric game?
Yes because I reversed the traditional controls so up is left, etc.

I also coded it to allow overlapping controls so you can switch directions w/o stopping

This depends on the type of movement mechanics and the camera perspective.

Habbo uses tile-based movement (not to be confused with grid-based movement) with point-and-click navigation - anything else would feel wrong/unnatural (in my opinion).

Directional mapping would be less straightforward than in top-down or 2D games.
Players often expect to e.g. move forward using "W", but in an isometric perspective this will not match with the visual layout (in most cases).

Diagonals are also allowed, so the isometric character has 8 directions in which he can look or walk.
This is not feasible with 4 buttons - well, at least not in a way that makes it fun.
way better experience than click and push x

You can be the hawk or you can be the tuah.

Last edited:

Damien

Don't need glasses if you can C#
Feb 26, 2012
Wouldn't this also conflict with chatting, making that less seamless?
Currently you can just start typing on the keyboard, you'd have to implement a command to enable chat, or click the chat bar and back to the canvas (but then doesn't that beat the whole idea if people are already clicking the canvas)

Hopefully this is a feature that can be toggled, I don't see many people wanting to adopt WASD movement.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
Currently you can just start typing on the keyboard, you'd have to implement a command to enable chat, or click the chat bar and back to the canvas (but then doesn't that beat the whole idea if people are already clicking the canvas)

Hopefully this is a feature that can be toggled, I don't see many people wanting to adopt WASD movement.
I agree, if it is toggled 99% won’t even use it.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012

It changes focus based on the activity the user is completing. There are many elements at play and each one can bring or lose focus dynamically based on activity

That means the users use wasd or arrow keys for movement and when they click the chat they can type. It’s designed for combat players , so you can run and gun with actual accuracy instead of a boring “push x” to kill .

You can miss your shots, they may be blocked by furniture or you may hit a critical point on someone.

There are videos of the gameplay online
Post automatically merged:

I agree, if it is toggled 99% won’t even use it.
Voice chat is the long term goal.

Users who are viewing this thread