Is Jaden a retard?

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
Linux is nothing like Windows, however is still an OS. You can't just download "the" Linux OS, UNLESS you are referring to the source which it is built upon. However you can download pre-existing Linux operating system distributions.

Which of the two are you speaking of?
How is Linux an OS if you can't get it? That's like saying there is a God but we can't see him

Emily

Jan 30, 2016
wDPZJ35.png

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
How is Linux an OS if you can't get it? That's like saying there is a God but we can't see him
You can get it but it depends on usage.

You can download distributions of the Linux operating system or you can download the source which can then be used to build new distributions of the operating system. You can't just download the Linux OS.

Like the search results in the above post show, Linux is a operating system in simple terms, I don't understand why an argument about this is necessary as the original thread just wanted to know if users thought there would be a new OS in the near future.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
The kernel would be the source used to build Linux distributions or update the kernel of pre-existing Linux distributions.
The kernel itself is Linux. The distributions are the operating system, which uses the Linux kernel.

Suggest reading this

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
The kernel itself is Linux. The distributions are the operating system, which uses the Linux kernel.
I pretty much said that?

The kernel itself is Linux
The kernel would be the source

The distributions are the operating system, which uses the Linux kernel.
I am using the "Linux operating system" to describe Linux distributions as an whole which run the Linux kernel

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
So we're arguing because you like to use the wrong terminology to describe something?
I guess people just didn't understand what I was trying to say? Either way I wasn't the one which started the argument anyhow.

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Either someone has changed their mind because they stand corrected, or this was a useless argument

Hashh

adam
Apr 17, 2015
So since you're saying all UNIX based "operating systems" aren't actually operating systems, instead they are all the UNIX operating system, are both BSD and solaris not operating systems to you either?

Also, btw you pretty much went against your own argument an hour before you first posted in this thread complaining about using the "linux OS" term.

Cya
70% of Wikipedia is wrong.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Linux is an OS in simple terms.

We've already previously said we were basically saying the with different terms so why are you still here? lol
No, in simple terms Linux is a kernel. There are operating systems based around this kernel. The kernel is a very small portion of the operating system and is nothing really without the GNU portions (this is direct from the creator of the Linux kernel). People who have no knowledge on the subject are the ones who would want to call it Linux instead of GNU/Linux. The main components of a Linux based operating system is the contributions from GNU.

When you call Linux an OS, then no, we are not saying the same thing.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
No, in simple terms Linux is a kernel. There are operating systems based around this kernel. The kernel is a very small portion of the operating system and is nothing really without the GNU portions (this is direct from the creator of the Linux kernel). People who have no knowledge on the subject are the ones who would want to call it Linux instead of GNU/Linux. The main components of a Linux based operating system is the contributions from GNU.

When you call Linux an OS, then no, we are not saying the same thing.
Yes Linux is the kernel , it is referred to as an OS for simplicity sake.

Linux distributions run on versions of the kernel.

Users who are viewing this thread