Is Jaden a retard?

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
You want to disagree with my previous statement?
Linux is the kernel. Those who try and argue that Linux is itself an operating system (compared to GNU/Linux) don't know shit, or don't even know what a kernel is. If Linux was an OS, then Android would be called a Linux OS. But Android is only based on the Linux kernel whereas RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. are all based on GNU/Linux. If you don't know what the difference is between the two then you can just stfu

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Linux is the kernel. Those who try and argue that Linux is itself an operating system (compared to GNU/Linux) don't know shit, or don't even know what a kernel is. If Linux was an OS, then Android would be called a Linux OS. But Android is only based on the Linux kernel whereas RHEL, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. are all based on GNU/Linux. If you don't know what the difference is between the two then you can just stfu
I know this and I'm a pothead, come on guys.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012

Linux is an operating system, it's not even unix it's unix-like/nix therefore it only follows certain aspects of UNIX whereas other operating systems in the family such as OSX completely adapt around the UNIX model itself.

This thread is simply asking whether or not people think there will be a new OS in the near future , it's not asking for a full discussion on the entire history of operating systems. You wouldn't say "Oh, this game is supported on UNIX".

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Linux is an operating system, it's not even unix it's unix-like/nix therefore it only follows certain aspects of UNIX whereas other operating systems in the family such as OSX completely adapt around the UNIX model itself.

This thread is simply asking whether or not people think there will be a new OS in the near future , it's not asking for a full discussion on the entire history of operating systems. You wouldn't say "Oh, this game is supported on UNIX".
Right but that's not the point he's trying to prove, linux is a kernel. If you disagree with that, you're high.

Ecko

Nov 25, 2012

Linus Benedict Torvalds ( ; Swedish: ( ); born December 28, 1969) is a Finnish-American , who is the creator of the and for a long time, principal developer; that became the kernel for operating systems (and many of each), such as and years later and . He also created the system . He was honored, along with , with the 2012 by the "in recognition of his creation of a new open source operating system for computers leading to the widely used Linux kernel".

Calling Linux an operating system just shows your lack of understanding on the subject. Can I go and buy a laptop, completely wipe the hard drive and install the supposed Linux operating system on it? No. I could install a GNU/Linux operating system or an operating system based off of the Linux kernel, but I cannot install "the" Linux operating system because no such thing exists.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Linus Benedict Torvalds ( ; Swedish: ( ); born December 28, 1969) is a Finnish-American , who is the creator of the and for a long time, principal developer; that became the kernel for operating systems (and many of each), such as and years later and . He also created the system . He was honored, along with , with the 2012 by the "in recognition of his creation of a new open source operating system for computers leading to the widely used Linux kernel".

Calling Linux an operating system just shows your lack of understanding on the subject. Can I go and buy a laptop, completely wipe the hard drive and install the supposed Linux operating system on it? No. I could install a GNU/Linux operating system or an operating system based off of the Linux kernel, but I cannot install "the" Linux operating system because no such thing exists.

So since you're saying all UNIX based "operating systems" aren't actually operating systems, instead they are all the UNIX operating system, are both BSD and solaris not operating systems to you either?

Also, btw you pretty much went against your own argument an hour before you first posted in this thread complaining about using the "linux OS" term.

Cya

Last edited:

Jaden

not so active
Aug 24, 2014
For clarification purposes, I used to do a lot of low-level C++ so to my knowledge a:

Kernel - A prime component of an OS that is used to access the hardware and preform other low-level operations, so you will encounter functions such as "ReadProcessMemory" & "WriteProcessMemory".

OS (Operating System) - The software that manages the Kernel, along with many other processes such as Networking, Security, User Interface, Other.

I think 1 of you are mistaken, for the "GNU/Linux" (which is a bad name btw) for that is an Operating System, but the "Linux Kernel" is another project of it's own which happens contain the word "Linux". Get the confusion? However the "Linux OS" does use the "Linux Kernel".

Ecko

Nov 25, 2012
For clarification purposes, I used to do a lot of low-level C++ so to my knowledge a:
Kernel - A prime component of an OS that is used to access the hardware and preform other low-level operations, so you will encounter functions such as "ReadProcessMemory" & "WriteProcessMemory".
OS (Operating System) - The software that manages the Kernel, along with many other processes such as Networking, Security, User Interface, Other.
shut the fuck up

Jaden

not so active
Aug 24, 2014
shut the fuck up
Re-quote my statement because it's been updated, also, he does have you on what I would call a technicality.

The lack of specification does NOT mean someone is incorrect, so shut the fuck up, you.

I think 1 of you are mistaken, for the "GNU/Linux" (which is a bad name btw) for that is an Operating System, but the "Linux Kernel" is another project of it's own which happens contain the word "Linux". Get the confusion? However the "Linux OS" does use the "Linux Kernel".

Ecko

Nov 25, 2012
Why don't you link us to it? You see to know where to find it.
a linux OS vs the linux OS.

calling Linux itself an OS is simply invalid.

I never said Linux was an operating system btw, learn how to read, I D I O T.
GNU would be the operating system there genius boy

Users who are viewing this thread