How would you describe a successful hotel?

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
There is a clear difference between being salty and stating facts.

I have nothing to be salty about. I don't own a hotel.

This is my personal opinion. If you can't handle criticism, you shouldn't own a hotel.
Seems rather salty :p criticism usually includes what could be improved
Had you given me some pointers on how things could be improved, I'd gladly take it on board, but due to the rude and blunt nature of your response, it was taken as salt.. I mean, your next message basically says I should not take you seriously?
There are two sides.

Some users do this just to personally attack the owner.

If it's constructive criticism, then yes, the users' opinions matter and should be taken seriously.
I mean, it definitely wasn't constructive criticism.. would that make it a personal attack on the owner?

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Not everybody is interested in coding, in an actual tech company do you think most of the higher ups know anything about servers or programs? Nobody has gotten lazier, they just don't have to do as much because it's been handed to them. Most of us had to learn to do it ourselves because our only options were uber with all of its glorious security vulnerabilities and a copy of phoenix cracked or on license. I don't understand the money driven obsession with the new wave of "developers" in this community, if you're looking for money then go get a job at an actual tech/web dev company, start as a junior and work your way up or something. There's no good money in Habbo unless you're running a huge scale hotel. This is and was always a hobby.

I think the biggest issue with this community when it comes to actual developers is that no matter what you do, people will try to shut you down, it's been like that for a while now. No idea is a bad idea and no code is bad code, if it works then it works, everything is fixable. I think most people who want to get into developing in this community are probably scared of being shit on by the "more experienced" (self-proclaimed btw) developers, because every time I see a question or something being released, it's always followed by some egotistical dickhead who thinks they're better than the rest.

OT:
What makes a hotel successful is longevity in my opinion, if you can provide a service whether good or bad as long as it's consistent and doesn't shut down or go down for maintenance every other minute, you're successful.
Easy for you to preach but I haven't seen you follow most of that advice.

Liam

one day at a time
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
Seems rather salty :p criticism usually includes what could be improved
Had you given me some pointers on how things could be improved, I'd gladly take it on board, but due to the rude and blunt nature of your response, it was taken as salt.. I mean, your next message basically says I should not take you seriously?

I mean, it definitely wasn't constructive criticism.. would that make it a personal attack on the owner?
Rain has opened and closed this hotel under the same theme many times now. It's just a quick money grab.

The design is poorly done.

He's known for faking the user count on every hotel he's owned.

Props to him for trying to stand out, though.
-> Don't be a quick money grab and actually stay open this time.
-> Improve your design. Some parts of the website aren't entirely mobile friendly either.
-> Don't fake the user count this time.

Is that better? I mean, it was self explanatory..
There are two sides.

Some users do this just to personally attack the owner.

If it's constructive criticism, then yes, the users' opinions matter and should be taken seriously.
I'm not a user of your hotel, so I couldn't care less whether you take me seriously or not.

You asked me to spell out the constructiveness in my criticism, so I did.

Hope that helps!

Zodiak

recovering crack addict
Nov 18, 2011
Easy for you to preach but I haven't seen you follow most of that advice.
Surely a bold claim like that comes with some evidence to back it up?

Sure, in the past I shit on people for stupid stuff but that's the big difference between us, I grew up.

Anybody who's come to me with a problem in recent times I've always done my best to help.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Surely a bold claim like that comes with some evidence to back it up?

Sure, in the past I shit on people for stupid stuff but that's the big difference between us, I grew up.

Anybody who's come to me with a problem in recent times I've always done my best to help.
I meant the longevity. All of your hotels seem to never open, or make it past beta.

Shitting on people isn't a problem if you're doing it for the right reasons. I think it's worse to cheer on flaws when you could guide them to be better

Liam

one day at a time
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
I meant the longevity. All of your hotels seem to never open, or make it past beta.
I've noticed a lot of developers who start projects with huge potential end up hiring the wrong people in the community, usually because they're stupidly popular.

Not aimed at Zodiak specifically, but might be the reason why.

Zodiak

recovering crack addict
Nov 18, 2011

Shitting on people isn't a problem if you're doing it for the right reasons. I think it's worse to cheer on flaws when you could guide them to be better
The only hotel I can think of I've ever had in a beta for a long time was HabLife and that was discontinued because of mental health issues.

Right reason or not, nobody likes a bully. Everybody has a learning curve and shitting on them while they're learning is not going to help them better themselves, if anything it's going to make them reconsider whether they want to do it or not.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
-> Don't be a quick money grab and actually stay open this time.
-> Improve your design. Some parts of the website aren't entirely mobile friendly either.
-> Don't fake the user count this time.

Is that better? I mean, it was self explanatory..

I'm not a user of your hotel, so I couldn't care less whether you take me seriously or not.

You asked me to spell out the constructiveness in my criticism, so I did.

Hope that helps!
This would be the first hotel that has made any decent coin, so quick money grab? That's not advice man, that's just a salty insult..
The hotel is in BETA and a lot of it has already been made mobile friendly, and will take time to complete.
The user count is real, and you would know if you counted the users in the rooms, but I am going to assume you have not been online and just like to throw shade.

I appreciate feedback but to anybody with a few braincells it is very obvious something or somebody hurt you at some point and you take it out on people who're genuinely doing well.. It's happened often on devbest.
Besides, this is a thread about what makes a hotel successful, and it really is based of what we define as "success"

If a company opens, and is open for 20 years, and during that 20 years, they only had 5 clients, that wouldn't be a very successful business model. If you drew a picture, and nobody wanted to look at it, then that wouldn't be very successful would it.

Success is defined as "the of an aim or purpose." and my aim is to make a safe and fun environment for users to enjoy, which I believe I have succeeded in. There are many who log in daily and enjoy what they experience.

From the advice you have given, I don't see any helpful criticism apart from working towards a more mobile friendly website.
I can give some advice, because I think you need to work on the way you speak to others.. What you say comes across as blunt, insulting, and rude. Start with what you think people have done well, and state you think they could improve on aspects such as x, y, and z. And such aspects could be improved by doing x, y, and z.

If you're not communicating effectively, what's the point in communicating? Didn't your mother teach you manners..

Feb 1, 2014

There's a difference between constructive feedback and destructive criticism. We all have our weaknesses, it's about learning from them. The same could be said about your code when it comes to website optimisation and performance.

Aside from this, your projects have always seemed over engineered and don't come full circle from a full stack perspective. In most cases, sure the back-end is great (albeit out of scope in most cases related to Habbo which results in un-necessary overhead) but the front-end is under performing.

Aside from that, you also have many projects which were unreleased, just like Lucas and heck, just like me.

There's no point putting others down out of ego, it just leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth and is a reflection of how you feel about yourself.

We are all developers, we learn and grow.

Think critically not emotionally.
Post automatically merged:

On topic though, the Habbo community is dying in general. The toxic individuals have always existed, the community was simply more diverse so you had the option to associate yourself with whoever you wanted and that matched your energy.

Now, you don't have options. You have to more or less interact with these people or there isn't anyone else around to relate with.

The users aren't there anymore, the developers aren't there anymore and the buzz certainly isn't.

The backbone of Habbo private server development is the actual Habbo and things aren't going well for Sulake anymore so users will eventually cease aside from a niche group/community. You might even see the forums close at some point or another.

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
The lessons here underline the significance of finding a balance between financial goals and creativity, valuing practicality over extravagance in business transactions, acknowledging that a venture's success relies on its user or fan base, and ultimately, embracing a carefree attitude and seeking enjoyment in whatever we undertake.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
There's a difference between constructive feedback and destructive criticism. We all have our weaknesses, it's about learning from them. The same could be said about your code when it comes to website optimisation and performance.

Aside from this, your projects have always seemed over engineered and don't come full circle from a full stack perspective. In most cases, sure the back-end is great (albeit out of scope in most cases related to Habbo which results in un-necessary overhead) but the front-end is under performing.

Aside from that, you also have many projects which were unreleased, just like Lucas and heck, just like me.

There's no point putting others down out of ego, it just leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth and is a reflection of how you feel about yourself.

We are all developers, we learn and grow.

Think critically not emotionally.
Post automatically merged:

On topic though, the Habbo community is dying in general. The toxic individuals have always existed, the community was simply more diverse so you had the option to associate yourself with whoever you wanted and that matched your energy.

Now, you don't have options. You have to more or less interact with these people or there isn't anyone else around to relate with.

The users aren't there anymore, the developers aren't there anymore and the buzz certainly isn't.

The backbone of Habbo private server development is the actual Habbo and things aren't going well for Sulake anymore so users will eventually cease aside from a niche group/community. You might even see the forums close at some point or another.
Mate, I seen your private code and it's a flat file defying all architecture requirements while using Wordpress for everything else.

I've been creating full stack apps since I was a kid. Call me a bully, I'll call you lazy and arrogant for thinking expertise comes cheap and quick.

You and Zodiak both spend a few weeks rapidly making a basic app, market the shit out of it and disappear.

I have dozens of over engineered apps, but the difference is I released them and let people learn from them and have provided a lot of help to growing engineers. I don't waste my time with those who are uninspired. Development is hard and you can't be lazy.

Make an app that scales to millions of requests daily and let me know what the architecture looks like. You'll find yourself copying me in the long run :)

Last edited:

Liam

one day at a time
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
This would be the first hotel that has made any decent coin, so quick money grab? That's not advice man, that's just a salty insult..
The hotel is in BETA and a lot of it has already been made mobile friendly, and will take time to complete.
The user count is real, and you would know if you counted the users in the rooms, but I am going to assume you have not been online and just like to throw shade.

I appreciate feedback but to anybody with a few braincells it is very obvious something or somebody hurt you at some point and you take it out on people who're genuinely doing well.. It's happened often on devbest.
Besides, this is a thread about what makes a hotel successful, and it really is based of what we define as "success"

If a company opens, and is open for 20 years, and during that 20 years, they only had 5 clients, that wouldn't be a very successful business model. If you drew a picture, and nobody wanted to look at it, then that wouldn't be very successful would it.

Success is defined as "the of an aim or purpose." and my aim is to make a safe and fun environment for users to enjoy, which I believe I have succeeded in. There are many who log in daily and enjoy what they experience.

From the advice you have given, I don't see any helpful criticism apart from working towards a more mobile friendly website.
I can give some advice, because I think you need to work on the way you speak to others.. What you say comes across as blunt, insulting, and rude. Start with what you think people have done well, and state you think they could improve on aspects such as x, y, and z. And such aspects could be improved by doing x, y, and z.

If you're not communicating effectively, what's the point in communicating? Didn't your mother teach your manners..
Every time you open a hotel you sell these crazy packages and then close a few months later..

Didn't your mother teach you to not open Habbo retros every year for money?

It's ok, deny it and choose to be ignorant if it makes you feel better.

I gave you my opinion and you decided to cry about it. Your last login on here was Sunday, as soon as I made a comment, you immediately came online. I know you're heated, but it really isn't that deep. Just go and work on your hotel. And, if you've changed, well done!

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
Every time you open a hotel you sell these crazy packages and then close a few months later..

I gave you my opinion and you decided to cry about it. Your last login on here was Sunday, as soon as I made a comment, you immediately came online. I know you're heated, but it really isn't that deep. Just go and work on your hotel. And, if you've changed, well done!

I close the hotel when nobody comes online anymore, which usually happens when I get busy irl. Peace was around for 3 years, habsay was around for 1 and a half years, and habbliss I just opened during covid for a bit of fun.
Currently, I wanted to refresh my development knowledge, and the income has been a nice bonus, but i mean, we're all welcome to our own opinions.
My mother taught me to spend my spare time doing what I enjoy, and if that was developing, then so be it!
Nice to see you're using those moderator privileges for good things :/ This thread is definitely on topic! And you're definitely keeping users' data private!
"Enjoy the rest of your day."

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021

I feel like everyone does this and so do the developers who sell the same plugins with small tweaks and call it version 2 lmao. Just to sell it to the same people for more than it’s worth.

Liam

one day at a time
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
I close the hotel when nobody comes online anymore, which usually happens when I get busy irl. Peace was around for 3 years, habsay was around for 1 and a half years, and habbliss I just opened during covid for a bit of fun.
Currently, I wanted to refresh my development knowledge, and the income has been a nice bonus, but i mean, we're all welcome to our own opinions.
My mother taught me to spend my spare time doing what I enjoy, and if that was developing, then so be it!
Nice to see you're using those moderator privileges for good things :/ This thread is definitely on topic! And you're definitely keeping users' data private!
"Enjoy the rest of your day."
Good for you.

An online status isn't that big of a privacy breach so don't blow it out of proportion. However, I forgot moderators can see that, and I didn't realise you were hiding that information. My apologies.

Props to him for trying to stand out, though.
Don't just focus on the negatives.

Good luck with your project.

--

Yes, the thread isn't entirely on topic, but the community has come together to release their frustrations.

I'm not going to be a buzz killer, this time.

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
Mate, I seen your private code and it's a flat file defying all architecture requirements while using Wordpress for everything else.

I've been creating full stack apps since I was a kid. Call me a bully, I'll call you lazy and arrogant for thinking expertise comes cheap and quick.

You and Zodiak both spend a few weeks rapidly making a basic app, market the shit out of it and disappear.

I have dozens of over engineered apps, but the difference is I released them and let people learn from them and have provided a lot of help to growing engineers. I don't waste my time with those who are uninspired. Development is hard and you can't be lazy.

Make an app that scales to millions of requests daily and let me know what the architecture looks like. You'll find yourself copying me in the long run :)
I mean honestly you have projects that were never finished like bobbarp and half your projects are unused and rarely mentioned like those cms you make so I don’t understand your point.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I mean honestly you have projects that were never finished like bobbarp and half your projects are unused and rarely mentioned like those cms you make so I don’t understand your point.
Bobba was released but people still believe Typescript uses IIS and can't set it up. Identical to Peak if you're capable enough to run it :)

They're unused because they're over engineered - but I do things the right way and will never lower my expectations for the sake of it.

What releases do you have?

Feb 1, 2014

I'm a front end developer by trade so I don't develop back-end applications on a regular basis.

I'm normally working within Shopify and I'm a expert alongside a partner.

I'm using Laravel for any back-end projects as of now and it's going great.

Is there something wrong with Wordpress? Do I need to build a over engineered solution with serious overhead for your approval? I don't care for your destructive criticism.

I'm a better front-end developer then you and have more experience in the field.

You're a better back-end developer because I simply don't code it in a professional environment and it's not my trade.

With all due respect, you haven't had one successful business outside of Habbo and the majority of your portfolio is strictly Habbo development related. Normally when people say things, they have something to show for it... you don't in this case.

I've bailed on one thing which was MangoRP emulator. It was complete and exceeded expectations but I didn't release it. Can't remember why but aside from that, my last project, Habbo Warfare released.

Barely got any users as there's simply no community anymore. Had an offer from Krews to integrate it similar to FastFood but it didn't spark my interest.

If people would find there selves copying you then a good portion of people would of had the intention of atleast downloading the repository to see what it's about and use it - neither occurred. I would not invest time into your content because it's out of scope and useless to me.

If I ever get to the point where I'm scaling millions of requests then I'd hire a engineer for that. Why would I waste time learning something that requires time and expertise when I could hire someone to do it? A bit like how you asked me to do a Habbo RP with you, about a week ago. You're under skilled in the front end aspect of things although you said me that you apparently made an emulator from scratch that was complete, right? Hmm... Interesting...

The same way I asked you if you wanted to be apart of my IRL business project because I wasn't comfortable with the back-end aspect too well. The difference is, I accept my weaknesses and don't have an egotistical mindset.

Over engineering is not a good thing when starting a business, there are spending budgets, overheads, scalability factors and businesses need to have an understanding of projectiles when it comes to their stack. No one has company to waste. The same way you work for a conglobate (Apple) instead of a start-up company.

You can keep acting emotionally but the truth is, no one thinks you're a bully, we just think you're egotistical and this will set you back in life.

Last edited:

GooGoo

Jan 20, 2021
Bobba was released but people still believe Typescript uses IIS and can't set it up. Identical to Peak if you're capable enough to run it :)

They're unused because they're over engineered - but I do things the right way and will never lower my expectations for the sake of it.
Even if that were true what’s the point of releasing something no one will use.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I'm a front end developer by trade so I don't develop back-end applications on a regular basis.

I'm normally working within Shopify and I'm a expert alongside a partner.

I'm using Laravel for any back-end projects as of now and it's going great.

Is there something wrong with Wordpress? Do I need to build a over engineered solution with serious overhead for your approval? I don't care for your destructive criticism.

I'm a better front-end developer then you and have more experience in the field.

You're a better back-end developer because I simply don't code it in a professional environment and it's not my trade.

With all due respect, you haven't had one successful business outside of Habbo and the majority of your portfolio is strictly Habbo development related. Normally when people say things, they have something to show for it... you don't in this case.

I've bailed on one thing which was MangoRP emulator. It was complete and exceeded expectations but I didn't release it. Can't remember why but aside from that, my last project, Habbo Warfare released.

Barely got any users as there's simply no community anymore. Had an offer from Krews to integrate it similar to FastFood but it didn't spark my interest.

If people would find there selves copying you then a good portion of people would of had the intention of atleast downloading the repository to see what it's about and use it - neither occurred. I would not invest time into your content because it's out of scope and useless to me.

If I ever get to the point where I'm scaling millions of requests then I'd hire a engineer for that. Why would I waste time learning something that requires time and expertise when I could hire someone to do it? A bit like how you asked me to do a Habbo RP with you, about a week ago. You're under skilled in the front end aspect of things although you said me that you apparently made an emulator from scratch that was complete, right? Hmm... Interesting...

The same way I asked you if you wanted to be apart of my IRL business project because I wasn't comfortable with the back-end aspect too well. The difference is, I accept my weaknesses and don't have an egotistical mindset.

You can keep acting emotionally but the truth is, no one thinks you're a bully, we just think you're egotistical and this will set you back in life.

Good luck, Chris
Everything you ever said was a complete fabrication and you spent months begging me to work for free on your failure of a startup.

Stop acting like you're above it all and a great expert, I enjoyed your designs for many years but you're seriously delusional if you think you can code at any capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread