How would you describe a successful hotel?

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
Honestly, given how small the community is these days, how would you define what makes a successful hotel?

We see so many come, rise to popularity, and go just as quickly as they came.

Just genuinely curious and want to get a discussion going since all I see these days on this forum are meaningless fights over petty stuff 🤷

Liam

discord.gg/hivehub
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
There's successful, and then there's good.

How to define success when they don't last that long.

I personally think a good hotel is one without cliques, bias staff/owners and prioritises quality over quantity. Of course, having an updated catalogue is a bonus.

What about you?

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
There's successful, and then there's good.

How to define success when they don't last that long.

I personally think a good hotel is one without cliques, bias staff/owners and prioritises quality over quantity. Of course, having an updated catalogue is a bonus.

What about you?

I like that way of looking at it tbh, I'd have to agree, there is good, then there is successful.

When I think of a good hotel, I think a toxic free environment (thats enforced) who supports one another, while you, the hotel owner, maintain your responsibilities to the community as a whole to ensure it is the only way to have a good hotel. Sticking to your values and the values your users hold you to. Its also important to keep your users entertained in creative new ways, anyone can have a long running hotel with population to boot if they have a long-standing clique situated there, but those hotels are boring and toxic. By creating an enjoyable environment your users actually participate, earn their way and are thankful for the space you provided them to escape from the real world for a little bit.

Economy, Roleplay, Classic, Flash, Old School, Shockwave, it all doesn't mean a damn thing if you're surrounded by toxic people who only want to drag you down with their gossip, rumors, constantly stirring the pot and trying expose information on others- the standard of the most popular hotels these days.

It's sad to say but I wouldn't say there are many "good" hotels out there these days, and as for the successful ones, well, I don't have much hope for them.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I personally never seen a hotel with values that had users, it's counter intuitive. Habbo itself has attracted the worst people as it gives users a mask .

Retros died many years ago along with Habbo so what we have are ashes of a community that used to exist.

Good is anything that can stay alive a few months without losing interest.

Liam

discord.gg/hivehub
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Apr 10, 2013
I like that way of looking at it tbh, I'd have to agree, there is good, then there is successful.

When I think of a good hotel, I think a toxic free environment (thats enforced) who supports one another, while you, the hotel owner, maintain your responsibilities to the community as a whole to ensure it is the only way to have a good hotel. Sticking to your values and the values your users hold you to. Its also important to keep your users entertained in creative new ways, anyone can have a long running hotel with population to boot if they have a long-standing clique situated there, but those hotels are boring and toxic. By creating an enjoyable environment your users actually participate, earn their way and are thankful for the space you provided them to escape from the real world for a little bit.

Economy, Roleplay, Classic, Flash, Old School, Shockwave, it all doesn't mean a damn thing if you're surrounded by toxic people who only want to drag you down with their gossip, rumors, constantly stirring the pot and trying expose information on others- the standard of the most popular hotels these days.

It's sad to say but I wouldn't say there are many "good" hotels out there these days, and as for the successful ones, well, I don't have much hope for them.
True.

The problem with toxicity is that you could ban someone in a friendship group who you consider to be toxic. Be prepared for the backlash.

Owning a hotel is never an easy experience. A good owner is always to blame.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
True.

The problem with toxicity is that you could ban someone in a friendship group who you consider to be toxic. Be prepared for the backlash.

Owning a hotel is never an easy experience. A good owner is always to blame.

Going on a year doing this tbh, and of course there's always backlash but we still have a solid community of great people after all this time.. honestly the whole thing has been kind of like a Habbo social experiment, with weeding out the bad and see if the good stay. Things always happen of course, you cant really prevent it, but when you deal with it like a responsible adult then the backlash from the community sometimes isn't always as bad and the ones who believe in what you're trying to build will stick around. This is from my own experience anyway, everyone runs a hotel differently.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Going on a year doing this tbh, and of course there's always backlash but we still have a solid community of great people after all this time.. honestly the whole thing has been kind of like a Habbo social experiment, with weeding out the bad and see if the good stay. Things always happen of course, you cant really prevent it, but when you deal with it like a responsible adult then the backlash from the community sometimes isn't always as bad and the ones who believe in what you're trying to build will stick around. This is from my own experience anyway, everyone runs a hotel differently.
You must be registered for see images attach

7 users is the definition of a good hotel

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018

7 users is the definition of a good hotel
I mean we get 40-60 unique players a day still, going on a year, everyone gets along and enjoys the experience. People are active and play, participate in our events so yeah, i'd say we're good.

I mean numbers are just numbers but our Carnival running all August long proves we have an active and participating community who's engaged and not at each others throats all the time. Just because user count isnt in the 30's (i mean most hotels in the english scene arent anyway its 2023?) doesnt mean a thing. Your community makes your hotel good.

Last edited:

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I'd rather play a good hotel with <10 online than a shit hotel with 30+ online where the owner is a paedophile and ddoses other hotels all day long.

Just my opinion though, you might feel different.
Your point is mute considering the hotel is using software made by people who DDOS and hack hotels lol

How do you think Krews started? It would be impossible to have a hotel without associating with them

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
God you snobby ass developers are such a fucking drain, can't let anyone enjoy anything, can ya?

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
As far as i'm concerned I've paid for every single thing I've had added to my hotel, plugins, custom features, i've contributed back to many developers bank accounts, aside from the emulator, a public release, all be it the history behind it, i personally dont owe you shit lmao 😂

I put in 6 hours a day improving the hotel for a community that appreciates and loves what we are trying to build, and they support us for it. I only recently started taking profit, and up until this point re-invested to create what I have today. My profit so far? I treated myself to a Pump Spice lattee lmao so you can go get out of here with your righteousness lmaoooooo

Also I resent that I am on Discord all the time helping out new comers and giving back to the community.

Last edited:

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
As far as i'm concerned I've paid for every single thing I've had added to my hotel, plugins, custom features, i've contributed back to many developers bank accounts, aside from the emulator, a public release, all be it the history behind it, i personally dont owe you shit lmao 😂

I put in 6 hours a day improving the hotel for a community that appreciates and loves what we are trying to build, and they support us for it. I only recently started taking profit, and up until this point re-invested to create what I have today. My profit so far? I treated myself to a Pump Spice lattee lmao so you can go get out of here with your righteousness lmaoooooo
You may not realize this - but the majority of the developers in the community do it out of respect for the community and to give back. It's not a fair transaction, at best you give them a very small tip in comparison to the actual value of development.

You spend hours a day managing a small community that has as many staff members as it does users online and create threads that are for you to pat yourself on the back

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, the perfect example of why the retro community is so shit ^
The retro community died years ago lol, quit begging for attention and do something useful other than ask people for money on your hotel with a default site and client lol.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
You've never been online to see half the stuff we offer for our community, just because we look vanilla doesn't mean we are lol, there are a lot of unique features, aspects, and user content everyone enjoys and engages in, and are very different from other hotels lmao. You came here in attack mode for absolutely no reason, making assumptions based on our user count and the "for profit" in the footer of my CMS. Im just giving you the response you wanted of course

I give back to the community, i've easily spent over $1000 on plugins and custom features from various developers, I help out new comers to the community with what knowledge I have when they need help. I put in my time and I give back in the ways that I can. Just because im not some experienced developer doesn't mean that is invalid lol but thanks for generalizing me along with everyone else.

I created this thread with the intention of getting the opinions of what makes a good hotel given the state of the retro community, and you just showed us all why the retro community died- people like you. The only ones who care about petty little things like that are snobby developers, I can assure you, most users don't give a flying duck how customized your hotel looks, they just want an environ they can enjoy and chat in with good people to vibe with.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
You've never been online to see half the stuff we offer for our community, just because we look vanilla doesn't mean we are lol, there are a lot of unique features, aspects, and user content everyone enjoys and engages in, and are very different from other hotels lmao. You came here in attack mode for absolutely no reason, making assumptions based on our user count and the "for profit" in the footer of my CMS. Im giving you the response you wanted of course

I give back to the community, i've easily spent over $1000 on plugins and custom features from various developers, I help out new comers to the community with what knowledge I have when they need help. I put in my time and I give back in the ways that I can. Just because im not some experienced developer doesn't mean that is invalid lol but thanks for generalizing me along with everyone else.

I created this thread with the intention of getting the opinions of what makes a good hotel given the state of the retro community, and you just showed us all why the retro community died- people like you. The only ones who care about petty little things like that are snobby developers, I can assure you, most users don't give a flying duck how customized your hotel looks, they just want an environ they can enjoy and chat in with good people to vibe with.
$1,000 wouldn't pay a developer's salary for a week, so you're a charity case at that price range. As I said, developers have gave more to you than you ever could to them.

None of this is personal, I don't know you and I haven't been on your hotel long in-game but I have been a member since it opened and check in from time to time as I do with any hotel, unfortunately, they're all boring and clones of each other with variations in the catalog. You focus on the community too much and in game features. Branding is how you define your hotel as unique.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
You're actually expecting big bucks for retro development? At scale those developers make a fortune for the plugins they sell to people. It's not my fault a developer sets a price for a custom feature and I pay it? If you want to be serious and make big bucks, get out of Habbo development and get on Fiverr and freelance or perhaps get a real job then if you want to be so cynical about it?

Our branding has been working for us for the last year, though, so don't worry about us 'cause we're doing just fine honey. Who wants a huge community filled with awful people anyway? A modest, active community who respects and vibes with one another has always been my intention and I have succeeded with creating that, at the expense of a very long ban list.

That generic catalog is because everyone uses my catalog silly :p

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
You're actually expecting big bucks for retro development? At scale those developers make a fortune for the plugins they sell to people. It's not my fault a developer sets a price for a custom feature and I pay it? If you want to be serious and make big bucks, get out of Habbo development and get on Fiverr and freelance or perhaps get a real job then if you want to be so cynical about it?
I don't expect anything from this community, unlike you I have released hundreds of projects over my time here and learned a lot. You took the easy route and paid people charity money so you didn't have to learn while asking for praise online.

Our branding has been working for us for the last year, though, so don't worry about us 'cause we're doing just fine honey. Who wants a huge community filled with awful people anyway? A modest, active community who respects and vibes with one another has always been my intention and I have succeeded with creating that, at the expense of a very long ban list.
You use the word branding but as a user, I only see a normal unmodified hotel and wouldn't even know Bobba is allegedly special until I talked to some of the few users online. At that point, your bounce rate is probably over 90%

It's fine to run a community for yourself and your friends :) But don't advertise it as something it's not, if you're not comfortable with people that have opposing views and ban them clearly it's not a very open community.

Users who are viewing this thread