Sulake Finland getting in on Retro's cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puridee

Jan 20, 2011
Simple. Everybody can get sued, because you know... all those CMS uses images from Habbo, and other CMS depends on the latest webbuild of Habbo.

Exactly! That's why using a content management system (CMS) that is not related to Habbo, or inspired by Habbo's CMS will give Sulake no reason at all for suing you as you haven't copied anything from Habbo. (Other than the emulator)

FarLock

ThisHabbo Media Journalist
Apr 21, 2012
Exactly! That's why using a content management system (CMS) that is not related to Habbo, or inspired by Habbo's CMS will give Sulake no reason at all for suing you as you haven't copied anything from Habbo. (Other than the emulator)
Simple. Quit having a retro, because still the game and the client itself came from Habbo and is really originated at Habbo.

Joopie

Sep 13, 2011

Sulake gives a fuck about the cms.
They only care the swf(client) what we (as community) use for our own property to earn money.

FarLock

ThisHabbo Media Journalist
Apr 21, 2012
Sulake gives a fuck about the cms.
There only care it the swf(client) what we (as community) use for our own property to earn money.
How about in the case of HabPRO Hotel when Mark only built it to have an experience in owning a R63 Habbo Hotel? We're fucked.

Joopie

Sep 13, 2011
How about in the case of HabPRO Hotel when Mark only built it to have an experience in owning a R63 Habbo Hotel? We're fucked.

Point is. All public hotels that aren't from sulake can be shut down by them.
It's against the law and copyright etc etc to make a public hotel.

However, Education (such as localhost) and private closed (by running on virtual private networks (VPN) like hamichi etc) hotels my exists.

Zeddicus

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
Mar 23, 2012
Oh, those IPs are real, but no matter which way we look at it:
- Habbo is not going to get the retro users back
- Imagine the bad publicity they would get for taking teens to court
- The most we're gonna get is community service and 1000 dollar fine

TO CONCLUDE:
host your images and SWFs offshore in russia on some fucking bunker in iraq.

- Jonty

I just laughed so hard.

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
By the way guys, a new CEO was appointed in September, maybe he wants something done.

Beast

Posting Freak
Sep 15, 2011
Habbo is obviously up to something and only the future could tell us. We can sit and wait and watch what happens ;)

Jonty

Aug 7, 2010
I chuckle when I read this thread. Do you not think Sulake would have shut down Sunnieday, etc, who gain over 2000, 3000 users daily online?
You guys are getting worried over nothing.

My personal opinion why they are buying Phoenix licenses and registering on hotels is probably to see what custom features we've managed to build into our hotels without actually modifying Habbo swf, to me, if I were them that would be really interesting. Could give them ideas on how to run Habbo better to attract the retro players back. Not really sure.

But in all honesty, do you seriously think you're going to see any retro hotel owner end up in jail over this? No. Don't even bring up Jeax by the way- that was for scripting and creating third party tools to own the client sideways.

But it might be good to take some precautions if you really want: so host your own web build and your own SWFs in a russian or iraq box, good luck them trying to shut you down then, as the Emu is legal, built from scratch and only sending+recieving packets, makes it 100% legal as it is not based off Sulakes "hard" work. Plus their shit is in Java, so good luck trying to sue Aaron on grounds of theft. Haha.

Jonty

Crup

weeeeee
Jul 25, 2010
mhm, cool ur pants everybody, this isn't a serious matter because, Sulake knew about retros being created since 07 and you think now is the time they are finally taking action?, No. They're probably looking around things to see what make it different from habbo.

TheJoshy

PlusHost.org -> GOGOGO
Jul 4, 2010
mhm, cool ur pants everybody, this isn't a serious matter because, Sulake knew about retros being created since 07 and you think now is the time they are finally taking action?, No. They're probably looking around things to see what make it different from habbo.
Like I said earlier, they have a new CEO so that could be why.

I chuckle when I read this thread. Do you not think Sulake would have shut down Sunnieday, etc, who gain over 2000, 3000 users daily online?
You guys are getting worried over nothing.

My personal opinion why they are buying Phoenix licenses and registering on hotels is probably to see what custom features we've managed to build into our hotels without actually modifying Habbo swf, to me, if I were them that would be really interesting. Could give them ideas on how to run Habbo better to attract the retro players back. Not really sure.

But in all honesty, do you seriously think you're going to see any retro hotel owner end up in jail over this? No. Don't even bring up Jeax by the way- that was for scripting and creating third party tools to own the client sideways.

But it might be good to take some precautions if you really want: so host your own web build and your own SWFs in a russian or iraq box, good luck them trying to shut you down then, as the Emu is legal, built from scratch and only sending+recieving packets, makes it 100% legal as it is not based off Sulakes "hard" work. Plus their shit is in Java, so good luck trying to sue Aaron on grounds of theft. Haha.

Jonty
Thank you so much for clarifying. It is kinda scary with the logs Craig posted earlier, them requesting all our details - but I doubt they'll ever get that. Thank you for clarifying, Jonty. The only illegal part of a retro really is some of the images, and the Habbo.swf. Although, if Sulake has approached Aaron and requested profit margins, and details etc.. what he is doing could be illegal as it promotes illegal activity somewhat, I'm really unsure of what exactly because I'm no lawyer.

There really is not a lot to worry about... keep your domains all privacy protected, you may aswell host your entire CMS somewhere outside of Finnish / US jurisdiction & somewhere where Sulake does not own copyrights, thus yes, you're safe. Ensure your host is not some anti-illegal activity company, because they may pass on your details.

Don't freak guys, once I thought about it - really, I don't think anything bad is going to happen, what are they going to do to us if we do get caught up? They're not going to throw a bunch of 13 year olds in jail for copyright infringement... to those 16 or older, they won't do that either. It would also promote bad publicity for Sulake, and make parents think "You play Habbo? There are kids on the news for going to jail for doing things on there, you're not allowed on there!" etcetera, for those 90% of parents who really are very acknowledgeable with what is really going on.

It would clearly be a mistake for Sulake to do anything on these grounds, stated by myself and Jonty. Don't say, it doesn't matter anyway, it would cost $10,000 or more to sue, well, I don't think Sulake cares about legal costs, as they're losing a lot of money to retros, and suing 300 retros for costing $10,000 each is a good 3 million dollars to get rid of retro hotels and protect their copyright - although it will never happen anyway, as stated above.

Don't worry, be happy.

Josh.

Jonty

Aug 7, 2010
If you're super security concious it might also be useful to buy a non U.S domain, eg Sweden (.SE), Mongolia (.MN), United Kingdom (.UK) or somewhere like that so if they do decide to do something in the future (highly unlikely) then they can't seize your domain.

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
To developers that might have decided/are deciding to stop their developments until more information about the subject has arrived:

Continue as you always have. Stopping 'cause of this isn't worth it, and Sulake won't take you unless you use habbo's design. But even then they most likely wouldn't give a shit.
Personally i decided not to pause my own development on grounds of what is mentioned in this thread. Why should i? Sulake doesn't give a fuck about the images, as fansites use them aswell. What they would really care for is SWF's and emulators. And even then the emulators are legal as Jonty mentioned above.

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
This thread is on fire.

I'd wish sulake could just give us a straight answer.

Are they going to get us gone or not?

Jasper T

Nov 23, 2011
They might be collecting proof, and build a case.. Only to see that their case ain't strong enough, poor Sulake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread