How would you describe a successful hotel?

Object

?
Nov 10, 2017
Succes can be looked at from 2 directions:

Hotel owner: As a hotel owner I would define a succesful hotel, as a place im looking forward coming online at everyday, a place where majority of users feel comfortable being apart of and gets along as a community.

From a user perspective: A hotel showing active progress, caring for its members, somewhat okay online count (enough to host events), a place where it feels like fun to play.

that's in my opinion 2 versions of a successful hotel, im sure we all define it in our own ways, some only look at hotels from a developers perspective, which is fine, but I personally don't think that means a lot, as developers rarely add much value from their opinion when it comes to user satisfaction.

Off topic:
I have seen multiple hotels (also current active ones) have a decent user count at times - but oddly enough 20% or 30% of the users online has been online for the exact same amount of hours when u check their profile, all of them spread across mutliple rooms were they sit afk until next emulator restart, as an attempt to not only boost (fake) onlines but also make the navigator look more appealing (I guess)

Money:
For the retro money comments. I think this goes both ways, a lot of hotel owners down right low ball developers to an extend where it becomes straight up disrespectful, they use the excuse "its habbo, go get a real job" acting like they doing developers a favor by offering them 20-50$ for weeks or months worth of development, and even after that they think because they paid once, they entilted to lifetime support, and try to pack their further inquries in ways, so that they can get free development going on-wards.

On the other hand, I agree you shouldn't rely on habbo as a way to make a somewhat stable income, sure every now and then, u hit a gem, willing to pay okay, but its the wrong community to dev in, if you're just in it for money, you can make 100x of what u being paid on here, for 10x less work somewhere else "in the real world" or in a different game.

When everything comes to everything, a developer can ofc. charge what they wish, the other part can simply deny the offer in a respectful manner, but something I'm sure any developer/GFX artist/service provider in the scene can recognise is that "clients" often tends to feel entitled to call you all sort of things because you want x amount for something, laughing at you, calling you a "scammer" simply due to the price tag etc.

Dying community:
I think the community is dying for various reasons. Gen Z didn't grow up with habbo like a lot of us did, we live in a different world now.

The community that was once left, stopped contributing, and people has become way less willingly to learn, simply due to lack of interest in development or laziness in general.

Also a lot of upcoming developers either shy away, due to not only egotistical fellow developers, making them feel worthless, because they isn't as experienced as them or share a different view. then there's the community (not only as a developer does this count) but if you develop in public, run a hotel etc. You are bound to deal with users trying to dox you, ddos you, falsely DMCA you and anything else harmful they can think of.

Another great reason for the community being less & less, is certain hotel owners is only in this for a money grab and ego boost. They will DDoS any other hotel they come across, harass/dox the owner & its users, hack its users, cus they simply go into their DB where they store password as plain text and then hope their own users, use the same password on various hotels, so that they can make the other hotel seem insecure or if they lucky login to a staff account even, to cause further ravage. This way their own hotel will seemingly have a bit more online users, which makes them feel like they've achieves something.

Last note
I think you should only start a hotel if you really want it, don't do it to become number 1 on findretros, or to make quick money - You might think u be making money, but versus the time no matter how u put it, you would of made 10x if you dedicated this time towards a "real" job.

And lastly don't let developers bring you down, cus you're not as technical, some people tend to think you should only run a retro if you know 7 different languages fluently, and re-inventing the wheel - Not a single one of those developers run a hotel anyways, and you can make your own assumptions why :)

Same goes for releases, those same developers oftently tend to shit on most releases, cus they personally don't find any value in the release, and therefore for some reason need shame you, instead of just scrolling past it - If you want to release or simply showcase something, you should :)

Last edited:

DDDDec

Tongue Boxing Champion 2023
May 30, 2017
I'd rather play a good hotel with <10 online than a shit hotel with 30+ online where the owner is a paedophile and ddoses other hotels all day long.

Just my opinion though, you might feel different.
Couldn't of said it any better to be honest!

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
why you trying to drag someone down though? lmao
The thread is titled "How would you describe a successful hotel" and I thought it was funny a bunch of hotels with little to no activity are commenting as if they have the answer.

Last edited:

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
I just find this user count competition hilarious when hotels people define as successful come and go within months of opening.

Where's the sustenance,.. what about the hard work and commitment? Did you bother trying to make your hotel unique in any way other than a fancy CMS retro players don't actually care about? What do you do to truly bond with your community and entertain your users? Are you one of those owners who sits afk all the time, ignoring their community and raking in the money with your shop? Are you a developer? Stop. They make the worst hotel owners. Do you have user counts faked to prop your ego? Re-evaluate your life and prioritize things that are actually important instead.

If you want to open a hotel and have any shot at success you need to be a natural community-driven leader who has a way with people. This is how you maintain friendships and build community bonds. Furthermore, maintaining a stable community over a long period of time is your next key- anyone can have cliques and drifters who hop from hotel-to-hotel each month, their temporary prop up of your user count generally adds nothing but drama and helps foster toxic environments, which is in part why these hotels rise and fall so quickly.

Ask yourself before you open - what kind of user base do you want playing your hotel? If you thrive off the toxic bullshit and paedos lurking your corridors, then by all means, open your shitty hotel that'll likely rise to #3 on Findretros and fall to page 3 within months of its inception. Otherwise, set yourself some values and standards and plan out the kind of environment you want to foster, and stick to those values despite everything.

tldr; user count doesnt mean shit as long as you have a solid, long standing community by your side all while sticking to your values, because, as said before:
I'd rather play a good hotel with <10 online than a shit hotel with 30+ online where the owner is a paedophile and ddoses other hotels all day long.

Just my opinion though, you might feel different.

Salvy

Apr 1, 2020
I think this could be interpreted in many ways “successful hotel”. You could feel a sense of accomplishment just by creating one .

I would consider a hotel successful when I see others talking about it in different hotels or platforms trying to invite friends to play. When a hotel is able to bring new users to their game without even trying. If it’s been stuck with say 10 or less people who basically are a circle of friends it doesn’t seem like a natural place to fit in because everything has been established as far as a status quo and most times you feel excluded as there aren’t many others to interact with. At that point it seems more like some private hotel for friends than a public one for everyone but that’s just my opinion.

I feel like the whole point of habbo was to interact, meet new people and have different experiences which should say enough as its meant to be a social game.

Last edited:

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I just find this user count competition hilarious when hotels people define as successful come and go within months of opening.

Where's the sustenance,.. what about the hard work and commitment? Did you bother trying to make your hotel unique in any way other than a fancy CMS retro players don't actually care about? What do you do to truly bond with your community and entertain your users? Are you one of those owners who sits afk all the time, ignoring their community and raking in the money with your shop? Are you a developer? Stop. They make the worst hotel owners. Do you have user counts faked to prop your ego? Re-evaluate your life and prioritize things that are actually important instead.

If you want to open a hotel and have any shot at success you need to be a natural community-driven leader who has a way with people. This is how you maintain friendships and build community bonds. Furthermore, maintaining a stable community over a long period of time is your next key- anyone can have cliques and drifters who hop from hotel-to-hotel each month, their temporary prop up of your user count generally adds nothing but drama and helps foster toxic environments, which is in part why these hotels rise and fall so quickly.

Ask yourself before you open - what kind of user base do you want playing your hotel? If you thrive off the toxic bullshit and paedos lurking your corridors, then by all means, open your shitty hotel that'll likely rise to #3 on Findretros and fall to page 3 within months of its inception. Otherwise, set yourself some values and standards and plan out the kind of environment you want to foster, and stick to those values despite everything.

tldr; user count doesnt mean shit as long as you have a solid, long standing community by your side all while sticking to your values, because, as said before:
I understand you and the other baby hotel owners spent a great deal creating a safe space that promotes a really fun environment for 5 to 10 people - but a website truly is defined by its users and traffic. A hotel with 5 really really loyal users is far weaker than a hotel with 200 unique players daily.

A hotel that is open for years and never grows is a bad hotel. A hotel that continues to grow for years, is a good hotel. There is no other metric of relevance other than growth.

As for values, clearly you don't have the same values as the majority of the community otherwise you would have a larger hotel. People want to say it's a "custom site", "custom catalog", "custom furni", "more events!" - truth be told people just don't want to be bored. A hotel that has a very very small and tight circle is BORING and very hard for people to want to stay on

Last edited:

Dreamer

Nov 5, 2020
I understand you and the other baby hotel owners spent a great deal creating a safe space that promotes a really fun environment for 5 to 10 people - but a website truly is defined by its users and traffic. A hotel with 5 really really loyal users is far weaker than a hotel with 200 unique players daily.

A hotel that is open for years and never grows is a bad hotel. A hotel that continues to grow for years, is a good hotel. There is no other metric of relevance other than growth.

As for values, clearly you don't have the same values as the majority of the community otherwise you would have a larger hotel. People want to say it's a "custom site", "custom catalog", "custom furni", "more events!" - truth be told people just don't want to be bored. A hotel that has a very very small and tight circle is BORING and very hard for people to want to stay on
To me, i'd rather a small hotel with 10+ users than a hotel with 200 users. I like a small space... it makes us feel safer than somewhere with too many users. Mybobba has been the best hotel i've been with. The owner actually cares about his users and takes things seriously. Consider it weak, but we have loyal users and gets better as the days go on.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
To me, i'd rather a small hotel with 10+ users than a hotel with 200 users. I like a small space... it makes us feel safer than somewhere with too many users. Mybobba has been the best hotel i've been with. The owner actually cares about his users and takes things seriously. Consider it weak, but we have loyal users and gets better as the days go on.
Are you Puffin? All of your posts are only related to Bobba and I can't imagine why a user would sign up on a reverse engineering community unless you were asked by Puffin to defend the hotel.

I'm happy you enjoy your hotel, personally I'd go crazy if I played a game with the same 5 people everyday. Habbo is a social network and a social network with no people is just weird.

Edit: Dreamer is staff at Bobba, so not even a user 🤦‍♂️

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
Quit being a miserable cunt I didn’t tell anyone to sign up here lol

Joined nov 5 2020 a year before I even came back to retros lmao
Tell me why I would subject my users to the likes of you?

Last edited:

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Quit being a miserable cunt I didn’t tell anyone to sign up here lol

Joined nov 5 2020 a year before I even came back to retros lmao
Tell me why I would subject my users to the likes of you?
Your users cannot be staff. I guess you're a 4 user hotel after all

They may of joined a few years ago, but that doesn't change the fact they have only posted about your hotel and never made any other post

Pretty sad you need fake accounts to spread buzz about your hotel 😂

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
Your users cannot be staff. I guess you're a 4 user hotel after all

They may of joined a few years ago, but that doesn't change the fact they have only posted about your hotel and never made any other post

Pretty sad you need fake accounts to spread buzz about your hotel 😂
Pretty sad what a miserable life you lead, you pathetic excuse for a human being 🤡
PS for someone who prides themselves on being such an "amazing dev" Kubbo is an an actual shit hole 🐷
Post automatically merged:

Its legit same ass hotel like others nothing unique lol

Haha ur forcing ur users to say good stuff about your hotel on devbest that's pathetic, perfect example of how unsuccessful habbo retros look like
I didnt force anyone to do shit, I woke up, saw her reply and literally facepalmed because I knew this exact same thing would happen, a bunch of idiots, such as yourself, would chime in

Last edited:

RealCosis

Jun 26, 2022
For my opinion, a successful hotel is a hotel with a good community. I also think that the aspect of integration within the community of new users is important, especially in "small" hotels. In "small" hotels, maybe there is a circle of people who know each other, and therefore new users may feel out of place
Maybe also the possibility of offering a smooth, personalized gaming experience that makes you say "today I absolutely have to enter"

Sorry for bad English 🙏

Linkestt

Truth is treason in the empire of lies
Nov 8, 2013
In all honesty, just comparing the peak of Habbo Retros when FindRetros was known as "TheHabbos.org" any and every hotel that would reach page 1 (I believe it listed the top 25) was bond to average no less than 25+ users online daily. Then again, it was FRIENDLY competition within hotels like Blah/Static, Habplus, Fresh, Zap, HotelNine, HabboBZ/ClanHabbo, Eubbo, just to name a few. All the hotel owners communicated amongst each other in forums like DevBest, Otaku, and RZ - they helped and assisted others with fixes and errors. Now on FindRetros you can manage to reach page 1 with an average of 10+ users and all the other pages are filled with hotels with absolute no activity (a dead usercount).

Yes some hotel owners say that they are satisfied with their small communties and like how things are operated with a minor usercount but in reality if we are speaking on "a successful hotel/Habbo Retro" we all know features and being unique has nothing to do with that. Habboon isn't custom but still manages to hold the highest usercount in the ENGLISH community. No matter what you say about the afk/idle users their online count is 10x - 20x more than majority of the other hotels beneath them. They stay up-to-date, have an amazing events & quest team, and are the closest thing to the actual original game known as Habbo. They are vanilla with nothing unique, custom, or special... It is their community and how its managed/ran that keeps them on top of the rankings. They operate their server like an actual business/company and not like an online game with no correct moderation and with staff that abuses their powers, ban users for having freedom of speech, and most importantly the owners don't kiss a specific group of users ass and favor them. No matter how unique or what features you implement that will not guarantee users if you can't manage a community. Peep why most of these developers can't even open a hotel of their own and build a usercount but someone who is interactive within the community like the owners of HabGen, Mansion, at a 1 point myBobba were easily averaging 25+ cause they were leading a community that had more than a typical user and owner friendship/relationship. Yes we can admit the usercounts of those 3 hotels aren't were they were before but they for sure showed these developers and failed hotel owners how its done. Gaining users is the easiest thing, keeping them is the hard part. Once a new hotel opens they all register to go check it out, if it's good and has majority of the people they socialize with they'll just stop playing the previous one. It happened to Mansion, Emerald Heights, and a few others. All great hotels but they relied abit too much on the community or unique features to keep the hotel active rather than actually entertaining the community.

Also @Puffin - I come to realize there is going to be toxic individuals regardless of how you want your community. They troll, but if they are causing drama or making your community uncomfortable then a ban is valid but if you're just looking to keep them all away then you won't have a community cause 75% of the Habbo community is toxic. The other 25% are just people who want to build, participate in events, and socialize. But that 25% is spreaded out within about 3-5 different hotels. That's the reasoning behind most hotels only averaging just under 15+. Maybe having a more borderline rules and regulations guide for your staff to follow and molding a strict moderation team you wouldn't have to worry about trying to "avoid" the toxic individuals. They can join but wouldn't even harm your community with the way your moderation is.

Puffin

Mar 17, 2018
Maybe having a more borderline rules and regulations guide for your staff to follow and molding a strict moderation team you wouldn't have to worry about trying to "avoid" the toxic individuals. They can join but wouldn't even harm your community with the way your moderation is.
Quite possibly the stupidest thing ive ever heard lmao
plus its literally my hotel, if i dont want toxic shit heads stirring up drama all the time ill gladly ban them. You cant prevent these incidents, only act when they happen.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
In all honesty, just comparing the peak of Habbo Retros when FindRetros was known as "TheHabbos.org" any and every hotel that would reach page 1 (I believe it listed the top 25) was bond to average no less than 25+ users online daily. Then again, it was FRIENDLY competition within hotels like Blah/Static, Habplus, Fresh, Zap, HotelNine, HabboBZ/ClanHabbo, Eubbo, just to name a few. All the hotel owners communicated amongst each other in forums like DevBest, Otaku, and RZ - they helped and assisted others with fixes and errors. Now on FindRetros you can manage to reach page 1 with an average of 10+ users and all the other pages are filled with hotels with absolute no activity (a dead usercount).

Yes some hotel owners say that they are satisfied with their small communties and like how things are operated with a minor usercount but in reality if we are speaking on "a successful hotel/Habbo Retro" we all know features and being unique has nothing to do with that. Habboon isn't custom but still manages to hold the highest usercount in the ENGLISH community. No matter what you say about the afk/idle users their online count is 10x - 20x more than majority of the other hotels beneath them. They stay up-to-date, have an amazing events & quest team, and are the closest thing to the actual original game known as Habbo. They are vanilla with nothing unique, custom, or special... It is their community and how its managed/ran that keeps them on top of the rankings. They operate their server like an actual business/company and not like an online game with no correct moderation and with staff that abuses their powers, ban users for having freedom of speech, and most importantly the owners don't kiss a specific group of users ass and favor them. No matter how unique or what features you implement that will not guarantee users if you can't manage a community. Peep why most of these developers can't even open a hotel of their own and build a usercount but someone who is interactive within the community like the owners of HabGen, Mansion, at a 1 point myBobba were easily averaging 25+ cause they were leading a community that had more than a typical user and owner friendship/relationship. Yes we can admit the usercounts of those 3 hotels aren't were they were before but they for sure showed these developers and failed hotel owners how its done. Gaining users is the easiest thing, keeping them is the hard part. Once a new hotel opens they all register to go check it out, if it's good and has majority of the people they socialize with they'll just stop playing the previous one. It happened to Mansion, Emerald Heights, and a few others. All great hotels but they relied abit too much on the community or unique features to keep the hotel active rather than actually entertaining the community.

Also @Puffin - I come to realize there is going to be toxic individuals regardless of how you want your community. They troll, but if they are causing drama or making your community uncomfortable then a ban is valid but if you're just looking to keep them all away then you won't have a community cause 75% of the Habbo community is toxic. The other 25% are just people who want to build, participate in events, and socialize. But that 25% is spreaded out within about 3-5 different hotels. That's the reasoning behind most hotels only averaging just under 15+. Maybe having a more borderline rules and regulations guide for your staff to follow and molding a strict moderation team you wouldn't have to worry about trying to "avoid" the toxic individuals. They can join but wouldn't even harm your community with the way your moderation is.
You do realize most of those hotels were hacking eachother and ddosing constantly, right?

Zap is especially suspect, they released exploited work and hacked hotels that used it and they done this multiple times over the years.

Boon is the biggest English retro because it's the oldest and it operates like a business - I'd definitely agree with that.

Users who are viewing this thread