How do boon not get sued?(opinions)

Thomasss

May 13, 2017
Hello guys so this is just a quick one as I am just wanting to understand simply, how?
Just read some articles around the retro community. Obviously I'm assuming some retro's have been forcefully closed by Sulake. How do the big ones keep striving? IE, Boon, Fresh & Peace.

I just simply want to know how do they not get closed down?
What is it they use what Sulake cannot do anything about?
Is it down to changing the copyright and coding in general?

Thanks, please leave a comment :)

Brad

Jun 5, 2012
They get threatened but nothing really happens after that. They will receive many DMCA's, If I remember correctly Sledmore once said that boon often receive around 3-4 a week.
Sulake won't take these things into court, it would cost too much for little in return. They can take boon to court, but even if they're successful and happen force boon to close, all them users will just go to another hotel and will make the court case useless. Not only that, There's 100s of hotels out there so it would just be pointless.

Thomasss

May 13, 2017
I heard recently I don't know who from I cannot remember. They said "Boon has bulletproof servers" I was thinking is that even possible? lol.. Do Sulake still take retro's to court no matter how big or small?

Brad

Jun 5, 2012
I heard recently I don't know who from I cannot remember. They said "Boon has bulletproof servers" I was thinking is that even possible? lol.. Do Sulake still take retro's to court no matter how big or small?
I guess you didn't read what I said. No, they don't take any retro to court. They will however, take a person to court for his emulator Development etc, big example is Sojobo from Phoenix.

Thomasss

May 13, 2017
Oh my bad, I don't know that hotel or person.. I'm somehow and I don't know why but pretty interested in even though they are the official company. Why cant't they just shut others down with 1 warning? No matter if they are doing emulator development or Retro set-ups.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
It would cost them too much money to take them to court, when in fact they can't really sue for that much money.

It's like the Aaron case, it probably cost them a lot of money to summon him to court when it actual fact they couldn't take anything from him.

Wickd

The first member of the Knights of the Pink Table
Jan 15, 2013
I'm pretty sure they can take an equivalent to the value, it really depends on how much Habbo and Sulake's virtual property is worth ( and how good their lawyers are lol ).Don't be dumb people they can sue anyone they want, retros are breaking Habbo Hotels terms of use and what is even worse you use emulators to emulate their data?Lol

We're all basically thieves and there's a little thing called the law, i think they just cba to deal with us it's the PirateBay scenario all over again.

Brad

Jun 5, 2012
I'm pretty sure they can take an equivalent to the value, it really depends on how much Habbo and Sulake's virtual property is worth ( and how good their lawyers are lol ).Don't be dumb people they can sue anyone they want, retros are breaking Habbo Hotels terms of use and what is even worse you use emulators to emulate their data?Lol

We're all basically thieves and there's a little thing called the law, i think they just cba to deal with us it's the PirateBay scenario all over again.
lol, of course they can sue, but it's not worth it for them to. They wouldn't waste that much money just for nothing in return lol.

Wickd

Jan 15, 2013
lol, of course they can sue, but it's not worth it for them to. They wouldn't waste that much money just for nothing in return lol.
That much money?Since when do you have a law degree?Since when do you know how much Sulake is worth?
What are ye KGB?

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
That much money?Since when do you have a law degree?Since when do you know how much Sulake is worth?
What are ye KGB?
LOL... No. It would cost Sulake A LOT of money to sort everything out in court, then when the 'owner' of Habboon is brought to the stand and they basically have no assets or own nothing that's valuable (like Aaron did) it would not be worth it. Habbo are already firing half of their team - surely this is due to some reason?! Plus, what stops Habboon from just opening under a new domain under a new owner? It would be a non-stop battle.

Wickd

Jan 15, 2013
LOL... No. It would cost Sulake A LOT of money to sort everything out in court, then when the 'owner' of Habboon is brought to the stand and they basically have no assets or own nothing that's valuable (like Aaron did) it would not be worth it. Habbo are already firing half of their team - surely this is due to some reason?! Plus, what stops Habboon from just opening under a new domain under a new owner? It would be a non-stop battle.
You're an idiot.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
It seems the times where Habbo aggressively pursued retros has passed. 4/5 years ago all they were having their lawyers send letters after DMCA's were ignored and at that point hotel owners usually realised it was time to call it a day, think Habplus / Zap. That's not a costly solution and it was successful so I imagine the reason they pay less attention these days is because it didn't really make an impact, as Joe said they just up and leave to a new hotel and that becomes the biggest retro.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
Already happened? Phoenix Emu
He wasn't even close to serving jail time. He had some assets frozen in Bulgaria and though he's never said as he's not allowed, he likely just had to pay some legal fees and cease emu development / retro activity.

Wouto

Posting Freak
FindRetros Moderator
May 31, 2011
Well, we have each been given a community payback order to serve on Saturdays and Sundays (that's why the owners rank is hidden on Boon and the reason Sledmore isn't as active on DB anymore). It was either that or 5 month each in a young offenders institution.

Bossman

May 28, 2017
Well, we have each been given a community payback order to serve on Saturdays and Sundays (that's why the owners rank is hidden on Boon and the reason Sledmore isn't as active on DB anymore). It was either that or 5 month each in a young offenders institution.

Sad, but it's the truth... We got caught when trying to get to Kavos for a lads holiday :/! It's what I get for not renewing WHOIS Guard.

Funsolit

Mar 15, 2012
Here is how not to get caught:

1. Use a VPN (with no logs)
2. Preferibly use cryptocurrency, paypal can work too but it's less safe.
- If you use paypal, never connect a card to your account, instead you can have multiple accounts with different VPN ips visiting all of them and then transfering money from 2nd account>3rd account>4th account etc. to the 1st account that you use to purchase things with. This way if you ever get caught you can just say that you made a mistake transfering money to the an account, or that you gave a online friend money for doing something for you etc. A basic lie that is obv fake but can't be proven in fact due to the fact you are using VPN with different ips.
3. Purchase domains with Whois protection (put the protection on auto renew)
4. Do not use your real name in game, do not give away any real information about you so that there is no chance a malicious user figures out who you truly are and it spreads around eventualy getting into some sulake staffs hands.
5. Tcp & http proxy. Obviously DDOS protection is an issue and thus Tcp has to be ddos protected. Http not but it would be good if it was, if not it can be used along with cloudflare for http flood protection.

Basicly have a anonymous internet personality.

I'll say tho its pretty unneccesary to do this if your hotel is going to be like every other bleb out there claiming to be special, different, up to date as if no one else claims all that lol. That way u will never reach over 100 users and probably wont have any eyes on you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread