FindRetros 3.0 Feedback

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016
I think most of the things I didn't like have grown on me a little. One thing I do agree on though is if a player count isn't going to be shown on the listing page, show average votes or something. Just something to allow people to see the size of a community at a glance. I think this is an important metric for people looking through the list - perhaps they're looking for a large, medium or small community, but not a dead one. A player count or average vote count would be very helpful towards this. If you're really against a player count, even showing the votes in the last hour could resemble something similar.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I think most of the things I didn't like have grown on me a little. One thing I do agree on though is if a player count isn't going to be shown on the listing page, show average votes or something. Just something to allow people to see the size of a community at a glance. I think this is an important metric for people looking through the list - perhaps they're looking for a large, medium or small community, but not a dead one. A player count or average vote count would be very helpful towards this. If you're really against a player count, even showing the votes in the last hour could resemble something similar.

He has plans to add a player count, though he is currently working out how to store it.

Jerry

not rly active lol
Jul 8, 2013
You might want to fix the voting for Puffin because it does not work at all when using Puffin Browser and users do use the Puffin app to play retros on their phone sometimes.
eVK5qf2sQRiVc2Z7ShALmw.jpg

I always get "The g-recaptcha-response field is required." when trying to vote.

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
You might want to fix the voting for Puffin because it does not work at all when using Puffin Browser and users do use the Puffin app to play retros on their phone sometimes.
I always get "The g-recaptcha-response field is required." when trying to vote.
Same issue being reported by users on Maxthon and Opera, unsure if this is FindRetros' fault or googles though?
RIvkehn0R5mFa6pRshWAkg.png

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
The panel headers should be on top, not the bottom. It confused me when I first visited the new updated site.
The page headers i.e. (habboon.pw) could be at the top and not the bottom as when scrolling and browsing it causes a little confusion
Interesting thought, I will play around with this idea. I'm all for improving the UX, and making it as straight forward as possible.
The footer is a bit obnoxious and doesn't really go with the rest of the template.
I can see how it sticks out, but I don't think it should be that big of a problem, since regardless of the page you're on, you'd have to scroll down to see it. Nonetheless, I'll play around with more subtle colors that match the rest of the template.
Add a "Scroll to Top" button once you reach the bottom of the website.
I'll add this to my notes, I can see this being helpful.
As long as the banner is linking to the servers info page the link on that page should be made way more obvious.
Maybe even a "Visit Site" button near the top, right now you'd miss it.
I agree 100%, I will add this to my notes as well.
This doesn't make much sense because the size of the faded background behind the new size banners are similar to the previous size? The space taken up is practically the same but the banners are now less focused because of the background. Add to the fact that the description seems to be larger and now we have tags on by default, less retros are now displayed per page scroll.
Banner size could be extended in height maybe just a little (back to 100px?) would possibly mean having to remove the blurred banner
Previous banners had a height of 100px, while the current have a height of 60px. Regardless of which were to be used, the padding around the banner (of 10px) would remain, since it wouldn't look good without out it. So that becomes 120px, vs. 80px. That starts to eat up a considerable amount of space. Also, Habboon's slot on the old site took up a height of 264px, while they now take up 256px; adding another 40px on top of that isn't good.
so what the heck is new?
Everything.
I'd agree with the rest make it so when clicking the banner it takes you to the servers website not the profile, and instead of the servers link on the pages header that lead to the profile instead
For now, I think sending them to the server's profile is the right thing to do, especially long term. Hopefully more and more useful information will be populated on this page, and will be helpful to the end user. In addition to this, to improve UX, I plan on having the information consolidated into a clean popup dialog instead of redirecting them to the profile itself. I think right now the main thing is to allow the new changes to sink in, and let people adjust to them, since certain behaviors had been the same for nearly a decade, and so I can see why these things might come off as alarming.
One thing I do agree on though is if a player count isn't going to be shown on the listing page, show average votes or something. Just something to allow people to see the size of a community at a glance. I think this is an important metric for people looking through the list - perhaps they're looking for a large, medium or small community, but not a dead one. A player count or average vote count would be very helpful towards this. If you're really against a player count, even showing the votes in the last hour could resemble something similar.
I agree, player count functionality should be coming within the next couple of weeks.

Last night I was playing around with the idea of showing the daily average of votes:
Same issue being reported by users on Maxthon and Opera, unsure if this is FindRetros' fault or googles though?
Thanks for the heads up, I've been able to reproduce the issue on Puffin, and will look into a possible solution depending on the cause.

ImSkared

Aug 28, 2011
I think the opaque background behind the banner is a wonderful idea and you shouldn't remove it. However I feel that taking the background image and separating it as a new div by making the position absolute and the parent container relative, then adding a blur filter of about 4px or 5px and making it slightly less opaque would make the aesthetic a little better.. oh, and also make the background image slightly bigger than the containing div to remove any rounded borders they added to the banner.

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
Why not just do this
Obviously tidy it up and change it a little bit but yaknow

also, when do votes reset

EDIT:

Last edited:

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Why not just do this
Obviously tidy it up and change it a little bit but yaknow
Hopefully this is obvious enough:
also, when do votes reset
There isn't a specific time when all votes reset. Once you've voted, you can't vote for another 24 hours.
EDIT:
I assume they're using a third party mobile browser?

Rain

c
Mar 13, 2015
Hopefully this is obvious enough:

There isn't a specific time when all votes reset. Once you've voted, you can't vote for another 24 hours.

I assume they're using a third party mobile browser?
Yeah that's good, and Shes on puffin. I was meaning when to the rank #'s change. Is there a time that it changes from 1 day to another and the averages update?

just happened to me on chrome

Jerry

not rly active lol
Jul 8, 2013
Should just add back the regular google reCAPTCHA as a voting alternate for now, seeing as the invisible reCAPTCHA is still in development.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
Yeah that's good, and Shes on puffin. I was meaning when to the rank #'s change. Is there a time that it changes from 1 day to another and the averages update?

just happened to me on chrome
Likely happened because you clicked the button before the DOM loaded.
Should just add back the regular google reCAPTCHA as a voting alternate for now, seeing as the invisible reCAPTCHA is still in development.
Done.

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
All appeals b gone.

Nevermind anything I said, just found out it's probably totally revamped.
Yeah, previous punishments/appeals weren't migrated, which is what you were probably on about. I didn't think it was worth the time, and didn't think it'd hurt to give everyone a fresh start.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Yeah, previous punishments/appeals weren't migrated, which is what you were probably on about. I didn't think it was worth the time, and didn't think it'd hurt to give everyone a fresh start.
Yeah it confused me for a bit, as I expected the history to show, but instead there was nothing. Tested it out, and it showed. I'd still appreciate some additional tools, for example voting logs (checking IP's for fraud votes), possibly editing pages etc. Would make everything a lot easier to moderate.

Jeffrey

Devbest Indian Tech Support
FindRetros Moderator
Feb 5, 2013
Yeah it confused me for a bit, as I expected the history to show, but instead there was nothing. Tested it out, and it showed. I'd still appreciate some additional tools, for example voting logs (checking IP's for fraud votes), possibly editing pages etc. Would make everything a lot easier to moderate.
In addition, if possible like in the old version to see what other pages the server owner owns.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Although I only enable the voting a couple times a week, I've not had any issues. Seems good!

Question, saw that validate.php was added back for us - is this preferred? What way should we go about it if we were not to use that file to check the request? (return=1 on voting URL & a cookie?)

Off-topic: Who is having redirection loop issues? I was put off from enabling voting due to this, but I've just enabled it and are not having any issues. So I'm curious to what some people are using? Feel free to PM me if you are having issues.

https://forcehotel.org
Oct 9, 2011
Would it be possible to add x & y labels for the graph at the bottom of the page? seems like some people including myself may have trouble understanding what the graph actually shows on initial glance. just the title "statistics" is a little vague

Users who are viewing this thread