1. Tired of not being able to see links? Want to chat with other members? Need help?

FindRetros 3.0 Feedback

Discussion in 'FindRetros' started by bigdawg, Aug 5, 2017.

1. bigdawg

bigdawg fight teh power Staff Member

Today version 3.0 of FindRetros launched, as you've probably already noticed. I'd love to hear the community's feedback, and make it that much better.

Pre-launch feedback thread:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 7:46 PM
    Wouto, Jeffrey and Platinum like this.
  2. Rain

Rain G Eazy - Special love

• Make it so when you click the banner, it takes you to the website. Not their page's profile thing.
    • [ Want to see this link? Register ! ] add an info icon here to take people to the pages statistics etc
    • Make it so if you've already voted, it redirects you back to the website OR at least gives you an option to go back. (like this [ Want to see this link? Register ! ])
    • Don't know how many people had this issue, but because i redirect people through findretros, they weren't being sent back to voted.php (meaning if they tried to go back on my site, it would redirect them back to a dead page). Why have the return url option in settings when we can't use it?
    • Why not make the banners take up this whole area? [ Want to see this link? Register ! ] they're very very small at the moment.
    • What is "Postback URL"? seems kool
    I like the new design but it definitely needs improvements and should have been testing on a second domain before being put on there. Also some warning would have been nice, could have emailed find retros users who logged in within the last week or something?

Edit:
    • Add an option on server profiles to go to their website (eg: [ Want to see this link? Register ! ])
    • If you're gonna make use of page profiles, make them customizable
    • The new voting page is excellent <3_<3

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:28 PM
    Berk and Chapo like this.
  3. li4m

li4m Posting Freak

It'd be nice if the banner went to the hotel rather than the hotels server page but it's fine anyhow.

• What happened to average votes?
    • What's Postback URL?
    • It says I can vote in 14 hours from now, do the votes not reset at 6/7AM anymore?

Overall, I like the new FindRetros, good job :p

Rain and Chapo like this.
  4. Rain

Says 5 hours for me.. Is it based off when you last voted? so your voting average changes real time?

Chapo likes this.
  5. Chapo

Chapo Graphical Services

I agree 100%, overall its easy to use and looks clean.
    Good job!

Rain likes this.
  6. bigdawg

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
    I'm open to this; I think for the first week, I'll leave it as is. Something else I've considered is when you click a server, you'll get a popup dialog with a bunch of information related to the server. The goal is to provide as much information I can about the server to the end user. I think there's a lot of improvement that can be done in terms of searching, and discoverability. My end goal is to make the best possible experience that I can for both the end users, and server owners, and there will be some trial and error.
    I agree, this could be better. Although, servers should be checking if a user has voted before redirecting them to FindRetros. I'll look into possible solutions, pending feedback.
    Mind linking to your servers profile?
    Personally I think they were way too large, and people will get used to the new size. Before, they took up a considerable amount of the page.
    This feature currently isn't done, but the idea is that when someone successfully votes, it'll send a request to a specified URL with the IP that voted.
    The site has been publicly accessible since January, and has been open to feedback.
    I agree, but I figured it was better to get out, then to put it off. With the new software, it'll hopefully allow for much more rapid and active development.
    Where in the UI would you like this displayed? The data's there, it just finding a good place to put it.
    As it stands, votes currently do not reset, and it depends on when the specific user last voted. As long as you're checking if the user voted before redirecting them, there shouldn't be any issue. All stats are calculated dynamically*, as opposed to being generated at a specific point in time, and stored on in the database.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    li4m, Rain and Jeffrey like this.
  7. Rain

[ Want to see this link? Register ! ] - it is not sending anybody to vote atm, I tested hablush's for @li4m and that wasn't working either.

habsaynet ([ Want to see this link? Register ! ])

8. li4m

li4m Posting Freak

Not sure, maybe under the statistics chart?

9. Canadian

Canadian Я тебя люблю. Staff Member

The footer has a link to [ Want to see this link? Register ! ] which doesn't exist

10. Rain

Could get rid of the rank number and put average & todays votes [ Want to see this link? Register ! ]

11. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Devbest Indian Tech Support FindRetros Moderator

Maybe, he could add numbers next to it or just put a huge nice average graph on top of the current one to display average.

12. bigdawg

I've gone ahead and made the old URL accessible:
    [ Want to see this link? Register ! ]

This should help applications that are still using that URL, and don't have it setup to follow redirects. As for your particular situation, I'm not sure. It appears to be returning the correct numbers.
    As long as you have a redirect URL set for your server, that is where it will redirect to when a user successfully votes.
    Yup, still gotta format them into markdown.

13. Rain

Can you make it do the same, if they have already voted?

14. bigdawg

I've added a "return" option. If that query arg is set, it'll redirect any user that has successfully voted to the server's "return_url". If no "return_url" is set, it'll redirect back to the server's profile.

Example:

I think this also a good time to mention that there is a new minimal mode that you can enable by doing:

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Devbest Indian Tech Support FindRetros Moderator

I don't know, but i think for minimal you should remove the background banner.
    [ Want to see this link? Register ! ] //just my 2cents

16. Rain

That is bloody brilliant!
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Original Post Date: Aug 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM ---
    [ Want to see this link? Register ! ] works perfectly.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:49 AM ---
    Why do votes go up so slowly?

17. Logic

Logic Bobby Tarantino

Here's my feedback.
    • The panel headers should be on top, not the bottom. It confused me when I first visited the new updated site.
    • The footer is a bit obnoxious and doesn't really go with the rest of the template.
    • Add a "Scroll to Top" button once you reach the bottom of the website.
    Other than that, it's nice and simple.

18. HDN

HDN PeakRP.com

As long as the banner is linking to the servers info page the link on that page should be made way more obvious.
    Maybe even a "Visit Site" button near the top, right now you'd miss it.

This doesn't make much sense because the size of the faded background behind the new size banners are similar to the previous size? The space taken up is practically the same but the banners are now less focused because of the background. Add to the fact that the description seems to be larger and now we have tags on by default, less retros are now displayed per page scroll.

19. Wickd

Wickd The first member of the Knights of the Pink Table

so what the heck is new?

20. cain

cain Ego sum Deus

Here's my feedback;

Cons
    • The page headers i.e. (habboon.pw) could be at the top and not the bottom as when scrolling and browsing it causes a little confusion
    • Banner size could be extended in height maybe just a little (back to 100px?) would possibly mean having to remove the blurred banner
    • I'd agree with the rest make it so when clicking the banner it takes you to the servers website not the profile, and instead of the servers link on the pages header that lead to the profile instead
    Pros
    • The statistics on servers pages is a good addition giving everyone an insight on "page visitors"
    • The new search system including tags is a good new addition to the old one, it's more specific and refined gives the wider community easier browsing options
    • Happy to see the live feed page has been removed as an index since it wasn't used in 3 years

Overall I think the new site is great, it's different and much more modern than the old. Good job pal.