[UberCMS] Password Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
This one really has me stumped. It updates the password, WITH THE CORRECT MD5 Hash, and I know for sure its 100% correct because I have encrypted it and decrypted it online at multiple sources. The problem is if I change the password, the user can't log in.

PHP:
<?php
                if(isset($_POST['TheUser'])){ //Posts The Form
                     $newPass = rand(58946, 98946); //Generates a Random Number
                     $hashedPass = md5($newPass); //Encrypts the numbers
                    $theUser = filter($_POST['TheUser']); //Grabs the posted text
                    $findUser = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '".$theUser."'"); // Tries to find the user
                   $findUser2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($findUser); //Fetch Assoc if possible
                    if(mysql_num_rows($findUser) == 0){ //Double check that user exists
                    echo "Invalid User"; //throw back user does not exist
                    }elseif($findUser2['rank'] > 7){//Make sure that user is not staff
                    echo "For Security, You can not reset this users password via housekeeping"; //Let them know they have to do it manually
                    }else{ //Otherwise
                     mysql_query("UPDATE users SET password = '".$hashedPass."' WHERE username='".$findUser2['username']."' LIMIT 1"); //Set Pass
                      echo "".$findUser2['username']."s pass has been changed to ".$newPass.""; //Echo out the new password of the user to give to them
                  }
                }
                    ?>

Brad

Jun 5, 2012
This one really has me stumped. It updates the password, WITH THE CORRECT MD5 Hash, and I know for sure its 100% correct because I have encrypted it and decrypted it online at multiple sources. The problem is if I change the password, the user can't log in.

PHP:
<?php
                if(isset($_POST['TheUser'])){ //Posts The Form
                     $newPass = rand(58946, 98946); //Generates a Random Number
                     $hashedPass = md5($newPass); //Encrypts the numbers
                    $theUser = filter($_POST['TheUser']); //Grabs the posted text
                    $findUser = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = '".$theUser."'"); // Tries to find the user
                   $findUser2 = mysql_fetch_assoc($findUser); //Fetch Assoc if possible
                    if(mysql_num_rows($findUser) == 0){ //Double check that user exists
                    echo "Invalid User"; //throw back user does not exist
                    }elseif($findUser2['rank'] > 7){//Make sure that user is not staff
                    echo "For Security, You can not reset this users password via housekeeping"; //Let them know they have to do it manually
                    }else{ //Otherwise
                     mysql_query("UPDATE users SET password = '".$hashedPass."' WHERE username='".$findUser2['username']."' LIMIT 1"); //Set Pass
                      echo "".$findUser2['username']."s pass has been changed to ".$newPass.""; //Echo out the new password of the user to give to them
                  }
                }
                    ?>
Doesn't Uber use sha1? Not entirely sure, you maybe have moved it to md5 but just asking just incase lol.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
Doesn't Uber use sha1? Not entirely sure, you maybe have moved it to md5 but just asking just incase lol.
nah it uses MD5 :( Let me double check all the code !

Hey, Thank you very much for having me look into it more, I traced it and found the method it was actually calling to. Look how weird this is!!
sha1(md5($password) . strtolower($username));

Brad

Jun 5, 2012
nah it uses MD5 :( Let me double check all the code !

Hey, Thank you very much for having me look into it more, I traced it and found the method it was actually calling to. Look how weird this is!!
sha1(md5($password) . strtolower($username));
No problem, guessing you fixed the problem? If so I'll close thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread