Sulake shuts down a pirate Habbo software distributor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Most of you will already know about what has gone on with Phoenix and Aaron but today Sulake released their press release on the recent events.

http://www.sulake.com/press/releases/sulake-shuts-down-a-pirate-habbo-software-distributor/ said:
Helsinki, Finland, May 13th 2013 – Today Sulake, the developer of Habbo Hotel, one of the world’s largest social games and online communities for teenagers, announced that they have resolved an internet piracy case with Mr. Aaron Marshall, an emulator software developer. The emulator software in question was used to run look-alike Habbo Hotels that were using Sulake’s IPs and game client software without Sulake’s permission.

http://www.sulake.com/press/releases/sulake-shuts-down-a-pirate-habbo-software-distributor/ said:
“I’m pleased that Sulake was willing to resolve the case even though I had violated their intellectual property rights.” Mr. Marshall says and continues “I have stopped developing and distributing the emulator software and based on my recent experience strongly encourage others to stop working with pirated sites immediately. “

Source:

What do you guys think current developers should do? Continue, or move on?!

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
They seem to be pretty serious about it now, but I think releasing it for free will not bee that a big of a problem for Sulake.

ViiTactiiCZz

Mar 19, 2013
They seem to be pretty serious about it now, but I think releasing it for free will not bee that a big of a problem for Sulake.
Not so sure that releasing it for free will be an option now, i think they would have got a court order prohibiting the distribution of phoenix.

iAmRyan

Aug 23, 2011
Just because they're clamping down doesn't mean people will stop. 'Almost' everything can be pirated these days, by big companies, yet people STILL pirate them knowing the consequences, I don't think this changes a thing. Habbotards will be habbotards until they're thought a lesson.

TheCoffeeTableGamer

May 27, 2012
In my opinion I think people should continue regardless of the risks. Not only does it show Sulake that we are not scared of them (that or they think we're stupid) but it gives us something to do. I know what I said may not make sense but it does to me.

Habranger

May 28, 2013
In my opinion I think people should continue regardless of the risks. Not only does it show Sulake that we are not scared of them (that or they think we're stupid) but it gives us something to do. I know what I said may not make sense but it does to me.

I Think your Right...

Majestic

Probably Habbotard
Apr 11, 2013
I know everyone knows this will happen. But if you really want to still make a retro, its your choice and take your own risk.

SoClutch

Jan 29, 2012
I know everyone knows this will happen. But if you really want to still make a retro, its your choice and take your own risk.

Exactly. I was just waiting for how long it would last until a major developer was brought down. Sucks to hear it was Aaron though.

bingxuan2009

Nov 9, 2011
Continue Cus Sulake Dun even bother to find someone to protect their ip

They are too cheap to hire tht someone

WhippyXD

Apr 11, 2013
!005

I Agree With This

bingxuan2009

Nov 9, 2011
!005

I Agree With This

Srsly no i do not agree 100%.Firstly making an retro is illegal and also using their sources is also illegal as it protected with copyright holder.Secondly it is very easy for Sulake to shutdown all retros by changing their sources link.(Why they are not doing that?They are cheap people and does not want to pay for Professional Coders to make it also impossible to find their sources link but once the top retro aka Fresh Hotel gaining more users than the original Habbo,They will hire Professional coders to save their Habbo.)So Tell Me That You Are Not Scared Of Them Once They Shut Your Hard work Done For Your Retro,Tell me about it.Thirdly Yes we are stupid we are just using their sources and open a free retro instead of making a game using our own sources.Lastly Everything you are doing now is totally illegal to your answer (but it gives us something to do).It Does not make any sense.

j2o

Jun 1, 2013
Sulake cant handle retros. Theres too many developers out there. Including many from other countries. But the difference is as habbo has shutdown in some countries. They can make their own retro no problem. Sulake should just back off eh? They should gain their uses with features with epicness. Not by fucking
being pussy ass and trying to shutdown retros!

BR4DLEY

Web Developer
Jan 2, 2012
Sulake can never shutdown retro's as j20 said, There's too many, They can't sue 1000+ Retro owners and 100+ Developers can they?

Because its for Educational purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread