Sulake have plans for Habbo after Flash's death in 2020

Jerry

not rly active lol
Jul 8, 2013
Hi,

It looks like Sulake finally have plans on moving Habbo from Flash.

Someone from my Discord server have sent this image:
unknown.png

"Today, the Finnish local staff broke the silence about the future of Habbo after the end of the Flash Player, a media player maintained by Adobe that Habbo runs, scheduled to cease to work in 2020.

Talistar indicates that she [local staffs, in general] were informed that Sulake has plans on this for the future, but there is nothing specific about it yet.

Talistar.jpg

There's nothing specific yet, but we've been told that we can say that Sulake has future plans for Habbo.
We don't know what is it.

Habbo initially used Shockwave, but in 2009, had to switch to Flash Player in a work that lasted for months, called .

Flash is no longer a recommended platform, due to several security holes already found and some browsers already make it more difficult for the user, hence the need for Habbo to change again."

Translated messages:
  1. Talistar - There is no exact information (even we) but we have been told that we will formally say
  2. Talistar - that Habboo has a plan for extension
  3. Talistar - we do not know what it is :D
This looks like interesting news, what do you guys think about it?

treebeard

Jan 16, 2018
This looks like interesting news, what do you guys think about it?

They won't give up the revenue as long as it's there so I don't think this should come as a great surprise to anyone.
I don't have any hopes for them to do anything that would make me want to play again so I suppose this just leaves things exactly how they already are in my book.
With that said, I am happy that they will continue to support the game. Even though I don't logon I still enjoy the idea of new generations getting to enjoy something that was so influential in my life.

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
I can see them just going the mobile route, and maybe a desktop app, for some reason I feel like They would shy away from HTML5 to keep clones away as much as possible

plugin

Jun 13, 2010
Does anyone know if flash will just stop working all together so all retros will be inoperable?
Or will people still be able to download flash on their actual computer then play?

Will having it installed on your PC be enough?

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
Does anyone know if flash will just stop working all together so all retros will be inoperable?
Or will people still be able to download flash on their actual computer then play?

Will having it installed on your PC be enough?
That's how shockwave is still playable, the issue is people don't wanna download flash, shockwave and a seperate browser just to play

plugin

Jun 13, 2010
That's how shockwave is still playable, the issue is people don't wanna download flash, shockwave and a seperate browser just to play
So downloading flash and playing on chrome won't be enough? A seperate browser will be needed as well?

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
To be fair, I don't see them keeping the desktop app. I've always avoided the question on Boon when people ask 'What are you guys going to do in 2020?' I just reply 'We will worry about it in 2020'.

I just feel like they're minimizing the desktop client so much in preparation for trying to move players to the other platforms. Not only that, the recent new Flash splash page that pops up when it's disabled, they originally only added the button, now the other two platforms are on their (see Habbo in iTunes store & play store), etc. I just think they'll move users to mobile.

Not only that, it's incredibly easy for users to buy stuff on mobile. I know it's pretty easy for us, PayPal etc (but PayPal has limits on Habbo)... I guess it all comes down to profit in the end, they'll figure out what made the most money over the past year or so and make a choice there. Maybe figure out how much of a loss desktop has been compared to mobile, if it hasn't I'm sure they'll figure out the cost for rebuilding desktop and go from there.

But I don't see it happening, hope I'm wrong though.

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
wow I've just checked sulake site and seen hotel hideaway? wtf is that shit lolol, Id imagine they're gonna do something to go towards that app and make away from habbo

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
wow I've just checked sulake site and seen hotel hideaway? wtf is that shit lolol, Id imagine they're gonna do something to go towards that app and make away from habbo
if they move to an app and leave habbo.com, do you think they would leave retros alone? or still go after them?

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
I don't think there's not enough revenue for them to keep their web version going.
They've put all their resources into the mobile version of Habbo and their new game Hotel Hideaway.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
if they move to an app and leave habbo.com, do you think they would leave retros alone? or still go after them?
Even if someone decided to make a HTML5 version of Habbo, it would still be a copyright infringement since the graphics (images) are trademarked by Sulake.
Anyhow copyright infringement wouldn't be a problem if it's an open source project, since you can't sue someone if its noncommercial and doesn't hurt them as a company in any way.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
They've said before it won't be limited to mobile.. maybe their plans will change who knows.

Curious to see if they plan on making the desktop version an application then (Electron w Flash) or if they will proceed to HTML5.

Riybo

Dec 1, 2018
Would unquestionably be intriguing if Habbo go HTML5, it would make things significantly easier. Nonetheless, they could pursue the similar route Club Penguin has took, bringing their entire game into a downloadable PC game rather than in-browser. IMO I'd prefer a HTML5 client :)

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
I think if they were doing HTML5 we would have heard something by now, when they were moving to flash it was in BETA for quite a while iirc and had a lot of testers making sure everything was working. I imagine you're right and they will go with a downloadable client option.

Users who are viewing this thread