Some Ideas...

Jo$h

Posting Freak
Jul 7, 2010
Well, Today I had a few Ideas so instead of posting them into many different threads I combined them all into one :cool:

Competitions
I like the idea of having more forum competitions, such as more coding competitions or a new kind of comp: Habbo Room Design?

Community Wide Projects
I think that Rasta should set up a DevBest "Cloud" on Windows Live so that we can start a community coding project. (Will be decided by participants)

Just a few Ideas. I know you won't hesitate to tell me your opinions on these so get posting. :D

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
Cloud WL?
Why not just a Google code?
Thing is, not many people here can actually code, even though I love the idea of a community project.

Jo$h

Posting Freak
Jul 7, 2010
Cloud WL?
Why not just a Google code?
Thing is, not many people here can actually code, even though I love the idea of a community project.

Thanks, I was really hoping someone else wants a community project where everyone that can code can contribute.

RyanMK

Still alive
May 27, 2010
I think that a coding competition would be good as long as it doesn't involve PHP due to what Kryptos said, HTML and CSS are fairly easy languages to learn and quite a few people here at Dev already know it. The competition could be to design a website for a specific purpose such as a made up company or something.

I would be up to this and I'm sure many others would too.

Bazinga

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2010
I think that a coding competition would be good as long as it doesn't involve PHP due to what Kryptos said, HTML and CSS are fairly easy languages to learn and quite a few people here at Dev already know it. The competition could be to design a website for a specific purpose such as a made up company or something.

I would be up to this and I'm sure many others would too.

I agree with this, I wanted to participate in the last coding competition but didn't have enough knowledge in PHP. So perhaps do what Ry said, a competition to design a website using html/css for a mock company. ;]

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
A coding comp has already been, it would be boring to have another, but we could introduce graphics, gaming, and other projects because as said above not everyone can code. About the cloud I don't really care much for the idea, not my thing; Other people may enjoy it.

buzzybee

Legend
Jun 10, 2010
Habbo room design is a no because the competitions are for the forum, not the games, but I do like the community project idea a lot!

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
I don't know if a coding competition is the best idea since it was a complete fail last time. I'd be in favor of competitions that all of the community could participate in and have an overall enjoyable time with a reward for the winner. So it could be things that have to do with drawing, creating a funny picture, or holding a DevBest sign in public. If anyone has an idea like that, feel free to leave an idea here.

As for a community project - that sounds like a good idea. It'd help bring the community together with one goal in mind, and hopefully provide for an enjoyable experience. What would you guys like to build as a community?

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
I would like to build a forum software for small websites that we can use for our sites, not a big deal, but a really simple one.
That's just me though, I'm open to other ideas.

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
I agree with holding devbests logo in public or wearing a simple something and posting the picture on here, would be fun.
I also agree with you that the coding compition, also some people can code and some people can´t the forums have got to a stage were coding is just a topic.

RyanMK

Still alive
May 27, 2010
I think the last coding competition failed because a lack of knowlege in PHP, using more simple languages like HTML and CSS could encourege people to get involved as both languages are fairly easy to learn.

As for a community project I like Kryptos' idea and set it up as a sub forum, then release if it gains popularity.

I also think there could be a competition for specific sections such as I manage the General section therefore I could host a graphics competition while Kaz manages a coding one and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread