SimpleCMS

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
PDO's main benefit (also IMO) over MySQLi is multiple driver support. MySQLi is (admittedly insufficiently) faster than PDO, and supports a procedural API as well as OOP (PDO only supports OOP). PDO seems overkill for this "cms", its not really a CMS but still.

Benchmarks show that MySQLi outperforms PDO by 2.5% on unprepared, and 6.5% on prepared. That and the fact that PDO claims to only support "most" statements and MySQLi supports all I just think MySQLi is a better choice.

Also... "only 30mb" ?? 30mb isn't exactly tiny for a "simple cms".

There's quite a few more differences between PDO and MySQLi than just speed, which especially in this case would make literally no difference at all.

In the end, as with most cases, it comes down to what you need and what you prefer. For example, a reason I would personally never switch to MySQLi (unless really needed for whatever reason) is due to their use of snake_case in their function names.

But don't come along here trying to be smart telling people to stop using something for bullshit reasons.

kailani

Sep 26, 2020
There's quite a few more differences between PDO and MySQLi than just speed, which especially in this case would make literally no difference at all.

In the end, as with most cases, it comes down to what you need and what you prefer. For example, a reason I would personally never switch to MySQLi (unless really needed for whatever reason) is due to their use of snake_case in their function names.

But don't come along here trying to be smart telling people to stop using something for bullshit reasons.

I couldn't care less what the kid is using, it was just a suggestion. Speed was one of the many things I mentioned and I did label it "insufficiently" (IE, it doesn't really matter, its a micro-optimization) but I guess you still decided to pick that one out because of your own reasons that we'll never know :)

I only mentioned mysqli as an alternative because of its procedural API which generally makes it a bit easier on newcomers.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I couldn't care less what the kid is using, it was just a suggestion. Speed was one of the many things I mentioned and I did label it "insufficiently" (IE, it doesn't really matter, its a micro-optimization) but I guess you still decided to pick that one out because of your own reasons that we'll never know :)

I only mentioned mysqli as an alternative because of its procedural API which generally makes it a bit easier on newcomers.

You have no clue how old the OP is, so there is no need to call him a "kid". I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, but it seems providing actual feedback is not your end goal here.

Besides that, 80% of your post is about speed, so ofcourse that's the main focus. You didn't really name any other differences that are applicable on the use of PDO in this situation. And saying using PDO is overkill just makes no sense at all.

Also, there's not much more liable alternatives besides MySQLi. And who are you to say he is a newcomer, especially when it comes down to something as trivial as choosing between PDO and MySQLi.

kailani

Sep 26, 2020
If you think coming into a community and in your very first few posts calling young adults kids is the way to go, you're wrong.
You have no clue how old the OP is, so there is no need to call him a "kid". I'm not sure what you are trying to do here, but it seems providing actual feedback is not your end goal here.

Besides that, 80% of your post is about speed, so ofcourse that's the main focus. You didn't really name any other differences that are applicable on the use of PDO in this situation. And saying using PDO is overkill just makes no sense at all.

Also, there's not much more liable alternatives besides MySQLi. And who are you to say he is a newcomer, especially when it comes down to something as trivial as choosing between PDO and MySQLi.
Speed is probably the area I know most about PDO (I don't use it) so I shared my experience in that area, is that a crime? He is 21 so I think I'm within reason to label him a kid. I can almost guarantee this kid, yes kid, knows of very little to do with what his "cms" actually does, just read his original post (static typing, weak references, tight coupling, so much more).

Why are you assuming so many things, that all seem to be false? The only message I wanted to get across to the OP is, make sure you know how to use PDO before using it, and thought that MySQLi might be more user friendly and easier for him to understand.

It seems kids float around using code they have no idea what it does all the time in this community.

Don't use PDO just because it looks cool to use PDO or that's what everyone else is using, use PDO because it is right for the job.

He isn't even applying the advantages of PDO over MySQLi, at least not in his snippets. So yes, in this instance, PDO is overkill IF this is consistent across his whole codebase.

Encapsulation at its finest.

Last edited:

RenderMelon

Minecraft-player and coding enthusiast!
Mar 13, 2020
Hello Goodnight. Does this CMS have a translation for Brazil?
Probably not. You usually have to translate things yourself, which is not that big of a deal because most CMSes have a language file in txt, yaml or php format.

Users who are viewing this thread