Mac Suggestions?

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Hi,
So all my life, I have never owned a MacBook, quite frankly, I hate Mac's as they are overpriced compared to a Windows PC/Laptop. I want to try and learn to develop iOS applications, but I read and also heard that you need a Mac to do so. I'm not very fond of the 13" laptops at all, the screen is too small for my liking. I'm more into the 15"+ and the iMacs.

I don't really want an i5, as I feel an i7 would last me longer (with the advancement of tech) and would last me for the next 5+ years.

So my original question is, should I get a Macbook (15" or more) or an iMac? If so, which one would you suggest. I'm not too picky on the price as I'm most likely either going to buy it out or finance it.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
OFF & ONT:
You don't need a Mac to develop iOS applications.
If you have an iOS device such as an iPhone and an Apple developer account you're good to go.
In fact I'm not even sure that you need an iOS device anymore.

React Native supports native app development.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
OFF & ONT:
You don't need a Mac to develop iOS applications.
If you have an iOS device such as an iPhone and an Apple developer account you're good to go.
In fact I'm not even sure that you need an iOS device anymore.

React Native supports native app development.

Oh, well that's good to hear I guess. That really closes my case on wanting a Mac, but I'd still like to get one for some odd reason..

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Oh, well that's good to hear I guess. That really closes my case on wanting a Mac, but I'd still like to get one for some odd reason..
Well spare the money and buy a real machine.
Køber du en mac stikker jeg min pik så langt ned i halsen på dig at du choker og hoster blod op

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
Buy/build a workstation not a desktop

And iMacs are shit, only idiots buy those.

If you really are set on getting a Mac, get a Mac Pro
I'm an idiot for buying apple products, I know. But yeah, I was thinking a Macbook Pro as well.

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
I'm an idiot for buying apple products, I know. But yeah, I was thinking a Macbook Pro as well.
He didn't suggest a Macbook Pro, he suggested a Mac Pro, which would be fitting for a pretty powerful Mac workstation if that's what you're aiming for.

Blasteh

Lord Farquaad
Apr 3, 2013
He didn't suggest a Macbook Pro, he suggested a Mac Pro, which would be fitting for a pretty powerful Mac workstation if that's what you're aiming for.
Oops, I mean't Mac Pro. Yeah, I want a laptop but - I really don't need a laptop, I may just get a Mac Pro.

Khalil

IDK
Dec 6, 2011
Oops, I mean't Mac Pro. Yeah, I want a laptop but - I really don't need a laptop, I may just get a Mac Pro.
Don't just go on a whim, research the product and see if it's right for you, read up on customer and professional reviews as produced by people who know their stuff, see if a Mac Pro would be overkill for your needs or would fit them just right, etc..

Generally speaking, a Macbook would be enough if all you want is to work on applications for Apple products and want a native and familiar setup to serve as a development environment, a Mac Pro would be considered heavy duty and most probably overkill for so simple a task, but again, I reference what I said in my earlier statement when I tell you to closely consider your options, weigh the pros and cons and just generally have a strong basis and rationale for making your final decision.

I'm sure DevBest members would gladly offer further assistance, I personally have never owned a Mac nor will I ever convince myself to get one, so I can't speak of any personal subjective experiences with the product, my thoughts on this are the results of pure objective research into Apple products, hope I helped.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I always used to be really opposed to everything that had the name Apple on it. Since I started working at my new job, I've both received an iPhone and a MacBook Pro. I still don't like the iPhone, and find it utter shit. However with the MacBook Pro, I'm quite happy. At least for work, I might even find it better to work with. Personally I'd always go for a laptop, even if you don't need it, because they are powerful enough and you can hook up multiple screens to the laptop anyways. Getting a huge and bunky Mac isn't something I'd personally go for. I like to have my screens seperated from the machine (except when it comes to a laptop ofcourse).

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
I was just about to buy a 2010 MBP because i needed something thin, backlit keyboard and decently powerful.
But tbh, sadly, 300$ for a sexy unibody and a core 2 duo is kind of a rip off.

I ended up going with this: [ HP Folio 9470m ]
It's really close to a 2010 MBP, minus a cd drive and good screen. Two finger supported glass track pad, backlit keyboard, decent battery, good IO, and an i5. Also i have ram at home so it'll be 8gb not 4.

If you need a laptop purely for development, alot of people recommend lenovo thinkpads. I think the newer ones are thin, probably the same price as a macbook pro.
(personally i don't like lenovo, though)

Last edited:

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I would suggest buying a Mac Mini as it's quite cheap for any budget and easily worth the money.

Users who are viewing this thread