Introducing Project Tango [Sneak Peak]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Project Tango
What is this? Well, my current project is coding a forum, which will be coded by me and will also be open-sourced.
My knowledge and criticism from coding both ribbonCMS and CraftControl will be dealt with strictly in this project.

Features and the aim of the project...
The forum will be as generic as possible, as the aim of this is to show less-knowledgeable how to code a forum script in PHP. No framework will be used.
However, as generic of a forum it might be, it will be operational and can fully be used for production purposes.
Of course, day 1 releases will have basic forum features and theme interchangeability.
As time passes, I will gradually release updates to add more features, bug fixes and security patches over the original script.

Release Date?
I will not specify a release date yet as I will probably not meet it in time for I am developing this project delicately and not to be a rushed product to disappoint the audiences. (Release date will be announce at a later phases of the project.)

Now, the sneak peak!
I only have this screenshot to show as I want this project details to be vague as possible until closer to the release date as information will be given to the public throughout the development phase.
IEpNh6O9uUA0.png

Note: As of now, this is simply phase 2 of the development. The front end of the project is done, and the official demo of what has been done has been set up. Official Demo:
If you are willing to donate and keep my web servers and running, please PM me. Cheers!

Last edited:

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
Looks really nice man, good job.

In terms of suggestions, i only have one: Re-size the sub-heading fonts to 1 or 2 pixels smaller.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Looks really nice man, good job.

In terms of suggestions, i only have one: Re-size the sub-heading fonts to 1 or 2 pixels smaller.
Ah, though I already added a "<small>" tag, it doesn't seem to be small enough, quick fix will do it :)

OMG, great project. Btw "powered by tango" ?
I haven't really thought of the name of the software yet (Or have I?), so I'm using the name of the project at the moment.

Nehalem

Aug 31, 2013
I really like this project, but I'm afraid that your current standard template isn't so impressive. I mean that you should try to make an unique template for your forum software, and don't use so much stuff from Bootstrap.

I'm looking forward to see the result of this. Good luck!

Last edited:

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
I really like this project, but I'm afraid that your current standard template isn't so impressive. I mean that you should try to make an unique template for your forum software, and don't use so much stuff from Bootstrap.

I'm looking forward to see the result of this. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement. Though the current standard template is bootstrap, some custom elements will also be added onto it. I did it this way is to encourage the users of this project to create their own custom theme as the template system will be as simple as can be.

UPDATE
Permissions system (Like the ones used in CraftBukkit) will be used instead of the old variable or session checking for accessing certain areas. Please note that the permissions will never be stored in sessions/cookies as that will pose a significant security threat.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
looking nice, anymore updates/screens?
Yes :3

Update
With at least 40% of the software done, I can put up a demo of the front end up online!
Official Demo:
Though much features (Back end) are still missing, I hope you enjoy the front end of the software.

Notable front end feature(s) missing.
  • Search
  • Sub-Node

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Lookinh nicr Jian, hope to see you follow this all the way.

Quick question - Are you using a templating system? If so is it custom or a pre-made?

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Lookinh nicr Jian, hope to see you follow this all the way.

Quick question - Are you using a templating system? If so is it custom or a pre-made?
Yes, I am using a template system. It's a custom one that I made.

UPDATE
The mod bar at the top can is optional in themes and can be styled or removed completely.
y4Hlt1eHB6B0.png

Last edited:

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
It's looking nice. I've made a forum software but never realised, it's about 4 months old now tho lol

Should make an iPhone version (web, not app) and release it to paying customers unless you're feeling generous:p

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
Looks nice, are you using your own template system or will we be easily able to convert phpBB themes for Tango?

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Looks amazing so far! Can't wait for this to be done (V1 atleast lmao)

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
It's looking nice. I've made a forum software but never realised, it's about 4 months old now tho lol

Should make an iPhone version (web, not app) and release it to paying customers unless you're feeling generous:p
Like a mobile theme?

Looks nice, are you using your own template system or will we be easily able to convert phpBB themes for Tango?
Yes, I am using my own template system. If the masses wants easy phpBB theme conversion, I can probably study it and create a script to convert phpBB themes.

Ept

Many men wish death upon me.
Jun 16, 2011
Looks nice, on par w/ every other project you've done. It's a nice project to show off your knowledge so far. Good luck, keep us posted.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Looks nice, on par w/ every other project you've done. It's a nice project to show off your knowledge so far. Good luck, keep us posted.
Thanks!

Update:
I will release the default theme to the public after the moderator panel is done. This is to show designers and developers out there on how TangoBB themes are made and this will give a headstart for people who are interested in using/developing using the script.

I am also looking for a team of developers who wanna work on this with me after the official release of the project. If you are interested, please PM me.

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
Not a fan of this,
3mFwde1.png

Although i like the mixture of the turquoise and red, the grey around the username and icon doesn't flow with the other two colors.

I would also increase the padding between the user icon and the username.

Edit: Whats makes this better than any other free forum software? and why should we choose this over them. 2 questions you should have a think about.

Last edited:

jayk

Retired Habbotard.
Sep 4, 2013
Looks really nice!
Signed up on the demo site!
Looking great, love the feel of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread