High CPU Usage & Over Heating

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
Hello Community,

Today I've come to seek help with an older laptop of mine. Earlier this week I stumbled upon my old laptop and thought maybe I could make some use out of it. However, it's only proven me wrong so far. The CPU when first started is on average of about 3% with little memory usage, but after a few minutes of even just browsing the internet, it's at a constant 50%+. I've tried closing everything and letting it sit, also restarting the laptop hoping it was just acting up that once. Well, I found out, it's not the case. After a few minutes without running a thing, the CPU still rockets up. I've tried Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Premium, and Linux - Ubuntu 13.0.4 and I'm currently trying Xbuntu 12.0.4.

Here's the specifications I can remember (Dell Studio 1555):
- Intel Centrino Dual Core @ 2.10 GHz
- 4 GBs RAM
- 500 GB hard drive
- AMD graphics card (I'll specify later when I can look)

Lastly, it seems to be getting very hot. I've had experience working with laptops so I opened it up to make sure it was clean inside do to it sitting around for ages. However, I am by no means an expert with them, you probably know more about them than I. Inside seems rather clean. It gets hot enough to the point it'd start melting my plastic table. I moved it onto a glass table, on a cooling rack.

Overall, maybe I'm expecting to much of this laptop? I'm not sure, which is why I seek your support.

Thanks in advance,
- Frec

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
What programs are you running?
Chrome has been known to use a high amount of CPU power.

Generally I've been using chrome, but I didn't think it's be that severe. Currently I'm running nothing at all and it sounds like it's dying.

Damon

Aug 13, 2012
I have an HP Pavillion G series anyways it tends to overheat quite often. I've done some research on it and found out that AMD processors/cpu's often 'overheat', even if its a nice cool day/night [this is if you have an amd processor/cpu].

And as Adil said, chrome often uses alot of CPU if you have alot of things opened. But if you have only 1-2 tabs it should be perfectly fine. Ive got 7 tabs opened at the moment and only sitting on 5-20%

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
I have an HP Pavillion G series anyways it tends to overheat quite often. I've done some research on it and found out that AMD processors/cpu's often 'overheat', even if its a nice cool day/night [this is if you have an amd processor/cpu].

And as Adil said, chrome often uses alot of CPU if you have alot of things opened. But if you have only 1-2 tabs it should be perfectly fine. Ive got 7 tabs opened at the moment and only sitting on 5-20%

See, that's what I was thinking. I hit a minimum of 50%. Even at it's age, I expected a bit better performance.

Damon

Aug 13, 2012
See, that's what I was thinking. I hit a minimum of 50%. Even at it's age, I expected a bit better performance.
By the way for your overheating, Try and see how hot it really is and I believe you may be able to speed your fan up from it. [Mine]

Settaz

PHP and C# Developer. Project Saturn Coming!
Jul 4, 2010
It's a laptop, so they tend to overheat pretty easily especially if you're saying it's old. Maybe time to buy a new one or just build a pc.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Any suggestions towards the CPU level? Can't seem to find a resolution..
I suggested earlier to reinstall windows to clear all bloatware from the PC that's probably on there. I didn't really read your post because I have the attention span of a nat but Windows XP or Elementary OS might be a good alternative for an old system if reinstalling doesn't work. (Most) linux distros require minimal specs (Low RAM, Slow/old CPU, low HDD space) so try that maybe.

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
I suggested earlier to reinstall windows to clear all bloatware from the PC that's probably on there. I didn't really read your post because I have the attention span of a nat but Windows XP or Elementary OS might be a good alternative for an old system if reinstalling doesn't work. (Most) linux distros require minimal specs (Low RAM, Slow/old CPU, low HDD space) so try that maybe.

Sorry, didn't remember the first post. I've tried both linux (multiple distros) and XP. No luck whats so ever.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Sorry, didn't remember the first post. I've tried both linux (multiple distros) and XP. No luck whats so ever.
The CPU could be lowering the frequency (or speed) it's running at because it's getting hot, so the first solution could also be the second solution.

Users who are viewing this thread