Habbo Retro Cup

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
Hello everyone, unfortunately my original thread was deleted but this seems to be the best place to post this.

I'm currently organizing a friendly tournament between as many Retro's as possible - big or small using the game Pro Evolution Soccer 2013. The game allows for really cool customization options to make every team unique. Uniforms could include the respective Retro's logo and player names could be anything from Staff, to regular users, to inside jokes formed in that particular community.

I've spoken with some people who seemed negative about the idea and the only thing I can really tell them is the only people who have ever held Retro's from becoming much larger than they are are the people involved themselves. The Retro Cup would be a great way to bridge this alienated community together and provide some fun competition between hotels. Matches would be played AI vs. AI and teams would be setup following some simple rules.

At the moment, it's just an idea but as it grows a website is planned to help keep everything organized as well as a livestreaming website to make the game available for viewing by all users.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
Sounds kind of dumb but it would be nice if a select team of users were chosen from retros and compete and the winner gets 100 dollars or something awarded for more hosting. Be cool to see Zap go against Lame Hotel LOL

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
Naw, it's not going to be about money just the honor and bragging rights of winning the cup. If money gets involved then thats going to attract the worst types of people and frankly, I don't want any part of that. If Retros want to make bets against each other, I'm not going to prevent that but I don't want my hands involved with money. Every Retro would elect a Manager, so in a way, it would be a select 'team' of users from various Retros.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
Your winning a cup that isnt to popular yet. Not everybody will play and want bragging rights of winning at Fifa 13. I dont even own the game or have internet so Im out already?

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
You misunderstand, nobody needs to own the game. All of the games are going to be streamed live because the AI will be playing against the AI. Essentially, we're all going to be 'spectators' to the matches and I plan on finding people who would like to commentate on the matches as they're being played. It's what makes it fun and unpredictable. I plan on hosting a few friendly matches just to show everyone how the game itself will work, it's very simple and nobody has to own anything except me. No, you aren't out I'm not sure how you don't have internet and are using these forums though.

EDIT:

The Managers will have a private message with me while the game is going on for positioning, etc. So the Managers too do not need to own the game as I will be controlling everything from my computer. The AI will determine the winners of the match. It's pretty simple and straightforward and its a lot of fun.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
You misunderstand, nobody needs to own the game. All of the games are going to be streamed live because the AI will be playing against the AI. Essentially, we're all going to be 'spectators' to the matches and I plan on finding people who would like to commentate on the matches as they're being played. It's what makes it fun and unpredictable. I plan on hosting a few friendly matches just to show everyone how the game itself will work, it's very simple and nobody has to own anything except me. No, you aren't out I'm not sure how you don't have internet and are using these forums though.
Library idiot.
And whatever doesnt make it very skilled base...We're watching fake go against fake GO FAKE ZAP

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
Pro Evo sucks.
Your best bet would be to create a hotel purely using habbos football and have the match within the pixels seen as your basing the idea around it

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
I don't know why you're being hostile, I just asked...

It's not really about the players skills, more so the Managers skill in being able to build a team that wins. As the Cup goes on, players improve, etc. I suppose if you want to be cynical, yeah, you're just watching the AI play the AI... but it's really a lot more fun than that, especially when everyone gets into it.

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
Pro Evo sucks.
Your best bet would be to create a hotel purely using habbos football and have the match within the pixels seen as your basing the idea around it
The only reason I'm using Pro Evo is because the customization options are great. I'm not going to open a Hotel because that would just make things even more complicated. Imagine trying to get all those people online at the sametime on the sameday? That's just not going to happen, at least this way only the Managers need to be online but if they don't show up every team is given some preset tactics to use.

EDIT:

I really encourage you guys to lookup the '4chan Cup'. The 2013 Winter Cup just finished with some really great turnouts (over 1,000 viewers per game). Their system is the one I'll be using and it works out really well. If 4chan can do it, we should be able too as well.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
The only reason I'm using Pro Evo is because the customization options are great. I'm not going to open a Hotel because that would just make things even more complicated. Imagine trying to get all those people online at the sametime on the sameday? That's just not going to happen, at least this way only the Managers need to be online but if they don't show up every team is given some preset tactics to use.

EDIT:

I really encourage you guys to lookup the '4chan Cup'. The 2013 Winter Cup just finished with some really great turnouts (over 1,000 viewers per game). Their system is the one I'll be using and it works out really well. If 4chan can do it, we should be able too as well.
You just need a good set of 8 teams or 16 or whatever and make them 8 players each. Use BcStorm or Phoenix and a nice vps and you can support it. Its their responsibility to be online. Make it Habboish not whatever

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
I think the idea of it being on another Retro is cool, but it's just not realistic. I remember being in the Habbo Hotel Football Leagues and that was a nightmare trying to get everyone on at the sametime.

This is much easier and it's not really an in-hotel thing, it's like watching a sporting event. As I said, checkout the 4chan Cup, that's basically what I'm shooting for. It's really fun and it's actually exciting. You should see the things that have formed around it in terms of rivalries, manager personalities, and commentators.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
I think the idea of it being on another Retro is cool, but it's just not realistic. I remember being in the Habbo Hotel Football Leagues and that was a nightmare trying to get everyone on at the sametime.

This is much easier and it's not really an in-hotel thing, it's like watching a sporting event. As I said, checkout the 4chan Cup, that's basically what I'm shooting for. It's really fun and it's actually exciting. You should see the things that have formed around it in terms of rivalries, manager personalities, and commentators.
Im out

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
Well thats like, your opinion man.

What about a friendly Minecraft PVP Tourny?
I really want to give the PES a shot because I know for a fact how cool it can be. I had my doubts when a friend introduced me to the 4chan Cup, but I got instantly hooked and I was kind of surprised by how into it I got. It's a pretty fun experience, and I can imagine the same holding truth in the Retro community as well.

There's really no reason why it can't at least be attempted.

Legion

Gaming Lord
Staff member
Nov 23, 2011
Well thats like, your opinion man.

I really want to give the PES a shot because I know for a fact how cool it can be. I had my doubts when a friend introduced me to the 4chan Cup, but I got instantly hooked and I was kind of surprised by how into it I got. It's a pretty fun experience, and I can imagine the same holding truth in the Retro community as well.

There's really no reason why it can't at least be attempted.
Well, If that doesn't turn out to be well, we can always arrange a Minecraft PvP Tournament.

RetroCup

Feb 24, 2013
I have faith in it. If everyone actually tries, this could be great. Just throwing other ideas out there.
Well, thank you then Legion for the support it's very much appreciated. Currently, I'm trying to convince Retro's to at least try it out, they have nothing to lose. When I get a streaming website setup I will most likely host a tutorial game to demonstrate how it works for those interested. Most likely by the end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread