Good, cheap VPS hosting for 10$ USD or under?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubuntu

Professional Slag
Apr 2, 2015
ATTENTION TO MODS:

apparently people think this is a debating thread and I found a vps so close this thread please, kthxbye.

Last edited:

Ollie

Jan 7, 2013
I wouldn't go with chicagovps. There staff support is appalling and they have there implemented server panel that doesn't work. There servers go down at least 2 times a week and they are always doing pointless maintenance. Waited 3 days for my server to be moved to a new node.

I suggest that you save the money you have and buy a better VPS from OVH or somewhere when you can properly afford it.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
I wouldn't recommend this, because when I owned one, it ran good for a few months and then it would randomly go offline for a few hours without notice, sometimes the panel wouldn't work and I'd get timed out on the SSH client.
You were DDoSed, nullrouted, and had no firewall running on your VPS. That is not their fault.
I wouldn't go with chicagovps. There staff support is appalling and they have there implemented server panel that doesn't work. There servers go down at least 2 times a week and they are always doing pointless maintenance. Waited 3 days for my server to be moved to a new node.

I suggest that you save the money you have and buy a better VPS from OVH or somewhere when you can properly afford it.
If you need support on an unmanaged VPS, then you probably shouldn't use a VPS in the first place. I have one VPS with them and it has only been down twice since I got it in March of 2013. The first time was partly their fault due to an exploit in SolusVM that did not get patched within a reasonable time frame. The other was caused by me that resulted in a kernel panic.

root@auto [~]# uptime
18:38:59 up 108 days, 17:31, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

And it is only that low because I had performed a kernel update and rebooted it myself. I have another free VPS from ASO that has great uptime and has only been down once in a year, which was a failing to boot message due to outdated kernel on their HVM.

Ollie

Jan 7, 2013
You were DDoSed, nullrouted, and had no firewall running on your VPS. That is not their fault.

If you need support on an unmanaged VPS, then you probably shouldn't use a VPS in the first place. I have one VPS with them and it has only been down twice since I got it in March of 2013. The first time was partly their fault due to an exploit in SolusVM that did not get patched within a reasonable time frame. The other was caused by me that resulted in a kernel panic.

root@auto [~]# uptime
18:38:59 up 108 days, 17:31, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

And it is only that low because I had performed a kernel update and rebooted it myself. I have another free VPS from ASO that has great uptime and has only been down once in a year, which was a failing to boot message due to outdated kernel on their HVM.
The only reason I needed to contact support was the fact my server is down :/

Hashh

adam
Apr 17, 2015
To be honest a Cheap VPS will just get booted or lag if you want your Retro to be a success then you must get a good quality VPS... I don't recommend EpicHosts as your retro will not be good if you buy from them... XZNetworks is ok I would say. If you where making a retro I would get 2 GIG VPS and R63B as R63 is getting outdated and boring. I recommend if your making a R63B Retro you should use Mango Emulator (Edited by Sledmore) or Silverware... Mercury Emu and Plus Emu is very buggy. R63 you should use Phoenix emu or Goldtree emu

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
Your fault for not setting up a firewall, then wondering how you get nullrouted after being DDoSed. What if you were DDoSed incidentally where the person mistyped the IP address?

How is it my fault that someone 'accidently' DDoSed my server? That's out of my control, also a firewall doesn't mitigate DDoS attacks (my server would still be hit offline).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread