first residential house has been printed!

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Stuff like this is cool and all, but it will cost a lot of jobs in construction once this really starts to take off and take over the market.

Hender

King Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
This is actually amazing. But at the same time, think about all the jobs that can be lost if this was to become the "norm".
The future looks great, but its scary af.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
This is actually amazing. But at the same time, think about all the jobs that can be lost if this was to become the "norm".
The future looks great, but its scary af.
It's called Industry 4.0, laborer jobs are dying off anyways and will fade into something else or a revolution will happen. Either way, eh

Hender

King Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
It's called Industry 4.0, laborer jobs are dying off anyways and will fade into something else or a revolution will happen. Either way, eh

This technology is privatised, it wont take over manual labour anytime soon.
I work in construction myself, unless these machines learn to print steel, you wont see them building anything larger than them fucking igloos.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I work in construction myself, unless these machines learn to print steel, you wont see them building anything larger than them fucking igloos.
I give it 5 years

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
The idea of Amazon operating a warehouse of drones in the sky probably seemed unimaginable 5 years ago and it's happening right now.

Either way, machines still need technicians and to be built themselves. The job sector adapts and changes just like it did during the industrial revolution; we're no longer mining but jobs were created in other sectors as a result. Pretty cool video!

Hender

King Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
The idea of Amazon operating a warehouse of drones in the sky probably seemed unimaginable 5 years ago and it's happening right now.

Either way, machines still need technicians and to be built themselves. The job sector adapts and changes just like it did during the industrial revolution; we're no longer mining but jobs were created in other sectors as a result. Pretty cool video!
Maybe in five years they may build houses with these. I'm saying they're not gonna scrap every manual labour job and have a printer build everything because some buildings can not be printed. It's a bit more complex to that.

I'm fascinated by the idea though.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Maybe in five years they may build houses with these. I'm saying they're not gonna scrap every manual labour job and have a printer build everything because some buildings can not be printed. It's a bit more complex to that.

I'm fascinated by the idea though.
That's what the welders at my local factory said, before 100 of them were fired and only a small team was left to oversee the new robotic welding section

Hender

King Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
That's what the welders at my local factory said, before 100 of them were fired and only a small team was left to oversee the new robotic welding section

I don't think you understand what I am saying.
You know everyone who works on construction doesn't just do the same thing?
It may well replace a certain Job Title to build these "houses". as seen on the video, someone afterwards comes in and places the windows and insulation in and paints it.
There are different job titles that do different things, You said a revolution would wipe all labour out, It wont.

I'm not arguing against this technology, when it rolls out it will soon begin to do jobs cheaper than humans.
But it's not going to replace every manual construction job in 5 years, and yes Labour will adapt.

+ I can't take you serious with that Avatar man..

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I don't think you understand what I am saying.
You know everyone who works on construction doesn't just do the same thing?
It may well replace a certain Job Title to build these "houses". as seen on the video, someone afterwards comes in and places the windows and insulation in and paints it.
There are different job titles that do different things, You said a revolution would wipe all labour out, It wont.

I'm not arguing against this technology, when it rolls out it will soon begin to do jobs cheaper than humans.
But it's not going to replace every manual construction job in 5 years, and yes Labour will adapt.

+ I can't take you serious with that Avatar man..
I'm not going to argue with a hick who thinks every job is protected or safe. It won't replace every job in 5 years, but within 20 a good 90% will be replaced.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
I'm still fascinated by being able to tap my credit card against a payment terminal to pay for stuff, and there's stuff like this happening.

Hender

King Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
I'm not going to argue with a hick who thinks every job is protected or safe. It won't replace every job in 5 years, but within 20 a good 90% will be replaced.
This is a debate not an argument you got my point anyhow I didn't say all jobs were safe, I was explaining that it would take a longer period of time for that.

Thanks for upping my post count by the way :)

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
This is a debate not an argument you got my point anyhow I didn't say all jobs were safe, I was explaining that it would take a longer period of time for that.

Thanks for upping my post count by the way :)
I'm all for helping those with less than a sixth of my post count reach

Users who are viewing this thread