ZoneCMS: PDO / SECURE / MODERN [PlusEMU - FULL SUPPORT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
Moved the logo as someone suggested earlier and added the "users online" thingy. I still would like you guys to help me out with the colors of the boxes (marked in red). I want to make this as good as possible.
d1867d6121db4a898f42ac2b0e94619d.png

Hender

King Tinkerer
Mar 3, 2016
The layout is good, the theme and styling does need work but its getting there.
Some colour changes, font changes and a little CSS should sort it out,
along with useful widgets.

One peice of advice dont go overboard with widgets or it will be BrainCMS all over again (way too much going on).

Other than the theme im glad to see more people coding new systems in modern code.

cain

insert html
May 12, 2012
I like the housekeeping, but I don't like the simplicity of the CMS, looks flat and a bit tacky..

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
I like the housekeeping, but I don't like the simplicity of the CMS, looks flat and a bit tacky..
Well then why don't you suggest some improvements? I'm open for all feedback, constructive criticism.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
PHP:
public function __construct(array $mysql) {
       try {
           $this->pdo = new \PDO(
               'mysql:dbname='.$mysql['database'].';host='.$mysql['hostname'].';charset='.$mysql['charset'],
               $mysql['username'],
               $mysql['password']
           );
           $this->pdo->setAttribute(\PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, \PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
           $this->pdo->exec("SET `time_zone` = '{$this->timeZone()}';");
       } catch(PDOException $e) {
           die($e->getMessage());
       }
   }

public function __destruct() {
       // Destruct the connection to DB once finished
       try {
           $this->pdo = null;
           die($e->getMessage());
       }
   }
This is what I use to construct and destruct the connection.
Same.

Unparameterized queries. You do also realize that it's probably not the best idea to display the getMessage as it can leak information, this is even stated on the PHP manuals.

Well then why don't you suggest some improvements? I'm open for all feedback, constructive criticism.
You're probably best looking up best practices on areas you need to improve rather than listening to a lot of people on here.

Here's an example I did quite a while ago
7pa8b3i.png

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
Same.

Unparameterized queries. You do also realize that it's probably not the best idea to display the getMessage as it can leak information, this is even stated on the PHP manuals.

You're probably best looking up best practices on areas you need to improve rather than listening to a lot of people on here.

Here's an example I did quite a while ago
7pa8b3i.png
I know you should not put out messages like that, but I also clearly stated earlier that I wasn't done with the code, I will fix it when I'm "done" with the rest of the cms, for now it's good to get the info.
However thanks for your example!

JMS

Posting Freak
Aug 25, 2014
First inspection, it looks great - as the majority have said above, it could do with some sort of customisation, however thats really minor.
I suggest a dynamic theme editor? Allowing users to personalise the colours to their own liking?

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
First inspection, it looks great - as the majority have said above, it could do with some sort of customisation, however thats really minor.
I suggest a dynamic theme editor? Allowing users to personalise the colours to their own liking?
Yeah, I could let them all like change colors and such on some elements directly on the divs for more personal touch, also they could have the ability to add their own background and so, good idéa actually, might do this!

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
I know you should not put out messages like that, but I also clearly stated earlier that I wasn't done with the code, I will fix it when I'm "done" with the rest of the cms, for now it's good to get the info.
However thanks for your example!
That wasn't towards you, I was quoting the example that Sentinel gave you.

As you're still learning I just didn't want you to take his advice as the snippet he provided is worse than your current in terms of security, although you should still avoid displaying the error to users in your execute() function etc.

Good luck.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016

As you're still learning I just didn't want you to take his advice as the snippet he provided is worse than your current in terms of security, although you should still avoid displaying the error to users in your execute() function etc.

Good luck.
Actually you're plain wrong. Showing the errors really got nothing to do with security, if you already know at first, you've entered the correct details. It actually DONT try for the connection only, but also for statements etc, which yes, would be better to put into a log or something, but if you have NGINX like I do, an 500 error appears and the error gets logged instead of showing the credentials.

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012

Good luck.
I appreciate all input, we are all still learning. We never finish learning and improving.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Actually you're plain wrong. Showing the errors really got nothing to do with security, if you already know at first, you've entered the correct details. It actually DONT try for the connection only, but also for statements etc, which yes, would be better to put into a log or something, but if you have NGINX like I do, an 500 error appears and the error gets logged instead of showing the credentials.
I'm not wrong, it's the developer's role to handle the error correctly by catching it and then usually log it somewhere. Yes it does have something to do with security, it's effectively known as information leakage which was on the top 10 a few years back.

"if you already know at first, you've entered the correct details. It actually DONT try for the connection only, but also for statements etc, which yes, would be better to put into a log or something, but if you have NGINX like I do, an 500 error appears and the error gets logged instead of showing the credentials"

You're forgetting this is in the development section therefore at some point it may be released and used by other people, they're not all going to have the same details; therefore there's an high chance that the connection will fail and expose the user/host and so on. Not all hotel users will run NGINX nor will they have the same configuration as you, most use IIS if I'm correct in saying so, therefore it will still be exposed.

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
I'm not wrong, it's the developer's role to handle the error correctly by catching it and then usually log it somewhere. Yes it does have something to do with security, it's effectively known as information leakage which was on the top 10 a few years back.

"if you already know at first, you've entered the correct details. It actually DONT try for the connection only, but also for statements etc, which yes, would be better to put into a log or something, but if you have NGINX like I do, an 500 error appears and the error gets logged instead of showing the credentials"

You're forgetting this is in the development section therefore at some point it may be released and used by other people, they're not all going to have the same details; therefore there's an high chance that the connection will fail and expose the user/host and so on. Not all hotel users will run NGINX nor will they have the same configuration as you, most use IIS if I'm correct in saying so, therefore it will still be exposed.
Guys please stay on topic, this is a development thread for ZoneCMS. And yes you are right others will have other information, and I don't leave anything for chance. I will re-code the db class a bit and implement try and catch with the error messages not showing up in public, but logged instead.

I have made some progress, and updated some of the code. Thanks to @Sentinel for examples of improvements regarding my database class. The credentials are now read from a config.ini file which allows me to, later, create a install file for the cms.

Database class
b57aff0ef79e4ffeb2f85dc41984a7c1.png

config.ini
692fdcc17ea04f9fa9ccf454893bd816.png

I know that I have not fixed the "security issue" with messages going straight out, but I will fix that when time comes. Also worth to notice was that when I tried to run __destruct() inside my database class I would just get a 500 Internal Server Error code since it seems that when database class is destroyed I can't use it in my subclasses which extends the database class. So I ended up creating a destruct() function in the database class which I then run in the other classes like this:
PHP:
    parent::destruct();
}
I appreciate all the feedback I've been given, all the tips and tricks to improve my code! Thanks all of you, and hopefully I will soon be able to release this to everyone.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Guys please stay on topic, this is a development thread for ZoneCMS. And yes you are right others will have other information, and I don't leave anything for chance. I will re-code the db class a bit and implement try and catch with the error messages not showing up in public, but logged instead.

I have made some progress, and updated some of the code. Thanks to @Sentinel for examples of improvements regarding my database class. The credentials are now read from a config.ini file which allows me to, later, create a install file for the cms.

Database class
b57aff0ef79e4ffeb2f85dc41984a7c1.png

config.ini
692fdcc17ea04f9fa9ccf454893bd816.png

I know that I have not fixed the "security issue" with messages going straight out, but I will fix that when time comes. Also worth to notice was that when I tried to run __destruct() inside my database class I would just get a 500 Internal Server Error code since it seems that when database class is destroyed I can't use it in my subclasses which extends the database class. So I ended up creating a destruct() function in the database class which I then run in the other classes like this:
PHP:
    parent::destruct();
}
I appreciate all the feedback I've been given, all the tips and tricks to improve my code! Thanks all of you, and hopefully I will soon be able to release this to everyone.
You gotta use __destruct() and not just destruct() in your database class, otherwise it sees is as a class function :p. It seems to be working fine for me. Did you try to destruct the self::$pdoStmt then thats why, because it can only be capable of destroying self::$pdo since the self::$pdoStmt is still used later on.

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
You gotta use __destruct() and not just destruct() in your database class, otherwise it sees is as a class function :p. It seems to be working fine for me.
I'm aware of that, I don't have a valid destruct function in database class, but I do have a valid one in the rest of the classes. I don't know really why it's messing around, but my guess so far is that it's giving me 500 internal server error because of me using the class in subclasses. Which makes no sense because in subclasses you call the constructor of the parent again. It got me irritated so I did it like this and left the database class without a __destruct() function.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
I'm aware of that, I don't have a valid destruct function in database class, but I do have a valid one in the rest of the classes. I don't know really why it's messing around, but my guess so far is that it's giving me 500 internal server error because of me using the class in subclasses. Which makes no sense because in subclasses you call the constructor of the parent again. It got me irritated so I did it like this and left the database class without a __destruct() function.
Oh yeah okay, I only extend my autoload class, so it works fine for me :p

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
Oh yeah okay, I only extend my autoload class, so it works fine for me :p
Yeah, so there is really no query in there that needs to be executed after database class is run. Also I don't use an autoload class since there isn't really loads of classes to load. Seems like overkill, but might do it just because it looks prettier.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Yeah, so there is really no query in there that needs to be executed after database class is run. Also I don't use an autoload class since there isn't really loads of classes to load. Seems like overkill, but might do it just because it looks prettier.
Yeah, I got around 20 classes, so its just way easier that way for me :p

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
Yeah, I got around 20 classes, so its just way easier that way for me :p
I guess it's just good practice to add a autoload class so that in the future, if new classes were to be added, they would basically just have to put the file in the correct folder.

Zaka

Programmer
Feb 9, 2012
Dunno if this can be of any use to your CMS, but I've just begun coding a container for the sake of it:
index.php
PHP:
ini_set('display_errors', 1);
error_reporting(E_ALL);

$mysql = parse_ini_file('mysql.ini');

if(!defined('DIR')) {
    define('DIR', dirname(__FILE__) . DIRECTORY_SEPARATOR);
    foreach($mysql as $key => $value) {
        define($key, $value);
    }
}

require_once DIR . 'app/class.container.php';

$container = new Container();

// Set all the required classes
$container->setClasses([
    'Database'    => 'app/class.db.php',
    'Core'         => 'app/class.core.php'
]);

// Use the class outside a function
$core = $container->Core;

echo $core->test();
class.container.php
PHP:
class Container
{

/**
     * @var array;
     */
    public static $library, $class, $store;

/**
    * How to access the Container file.
    * There's two ways:
    * 1) __construct function
    * 2) extend Container class
    */

public function __construct() {
        if(isset(self::$class)) {
            foreach(self::$class as $key => $value) {
                $this->{$key} = $value;
            }
        }
    }

public function setClasses($class = []) {
        if(!isset(self::$class)) {
            //$dir = DIR . "app/*/";
            foreach($class as $name => $file) {
                $file = DIR . $file;
                //$name = substr($file, 0, strrpos($file, '.'));
                //$name = ucfirst(substr($name, ($pos = strpos($name, '.')) !== false ? $pos + 1 : 0));
                //$name = ucfirst(substr($file, strlen($dir) + 6, -4));

if(!isset(self::$library[$name])) {
                    require_once $file;
                    if(class_exists($name)) {
                        self::$library[$name] = $file;

self::$class[$name] = new $name(new self);
                        $this->{$name} = self::$class[$name];
                    } else {
                        die("Unable to load class: {$name}");
                        unset(self::$library[$name]);
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

self::$store = [];
    }

public static function setLocal(array $data) {
        if(!isset(self::$store[md5($data)])) {
            foreach($data as $key => $value) {
                self::$store[$key] = $value;
            }
            self::$store[md5($data)] = true;
        }
    }

public static function getLocal() {
        return (isset(self::$store) ? self::$store : null);
    }

public static function getClasses() {
        return self::$class;
    }

public static function getLibraries() {
        return self::$library;
    }

public static function getLibrary($name) {
        return self::$library[$name];
    }

public static function getClass($name) {
        return $this->{$name};
    }

}
class.core.php - with __construct()
PHP:
class Core
{

protected $db;

public function __construct(Container $container) {
        $this->db = $container->Database;
    }

public function test() {
        $result = $this->db->query("SELECT `username` FROM `users` WHERE `rank`>= 1")->run()->fetch();
        return $result;
    }

public function test2() {
        return $this->core->getIP();
    }

}
class.core.php - with extended class
PHP:
class Core extends Container
{

protected $db;

public function test() {
        $result = Database::query("SELECT `username` FROM `users` WHERE `rank`>= 1")->run()->fetch();
        return $result;
    }

public function test2() {
        return $this->core->getIP();
    }

}
class.db.php
PHP:
class Database {

protected $HOST = hostname;
    protected $DB   = database;
    protected $USER = username;
    protected $PASS = password;
    protected $CHAR = charset;

private static $pdo, $stmt;

public function __construct() {
        if(!isset(self::$pdo)) {
            try {
                self::$pdo = new \PDO(sprintf("mysql:host=%s;dbname=%s;",
                  $this->HOST,
                  $this->DB),
                    $this->USER,
                  $this->PASS,
                    [
                        \PDO::ATTR_EMULATE_PREPARES => false,
                        \PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE => \PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION
                    ]
                );
                die('An error occurred when trying to communicate with the database.');
            }
        } else {
            return self::$pdo;
        }
    }

// Destruct the connection to DB once finished
        try {
            self::$pdo  = null;
            die('An error occurred when trying to close the connection with the database.');
            //die($e->getMessage());
        }
    }

public static function query($sql) {
        self::$stmt = self::$pdo->prepare($sql);
        return new self;
    }

public static function run($data = null) {
        try {
            self::$stmt->execute($data);
            return new self;
            die("Execution error: " . $e->getMessage());
        }
    }

public static function fetchAll($type = \PDO::FETCH_ASSOC) {
        return self::$stmt->fetch($type);
    }

public static function fetch() {
        return self::$stmt->fetchColumn();
    }

public static function fetchEach($data = []) {
        foreach(self::$stmt as $value) {
        }
    }

}
I did make it automatic checking for all files inside the app folder, but there were some issues, so I just decided that you'd have to manually choose the url for the class, which is fine by my opinion.
I'm definitely gonna use this for my own.
Some fine code right there. So what is a container class really good for? Now this is some new territory, and it seems very interesting, so I would like to understand this fully. When I do understand it, then I can think about implementing the code into the CMS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread