• Oracle

• CouchDB

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
You can't compare WebGL and DOM elements lol, that's like comparing a super car to a monster truck.
Both is better than the other depending on the purpose.
Whole different approach here compared to the other alternatives that went wrong from the start.
All I see is a different toolset; same idea.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
All I see is a different toolset; same idea.
So you're also saying that HTTP, WS and RPC is the same idea?
Or that ColdFusion, Kotlin or any language for that instance is the same idea?
Just to put it right, they wanted to REPLICATE Habbo as it is now, which I wouldn't at every aspect, only the gameplay and graphics, so yet again it's not the same idea. :)

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
So you're also saying that HTTP, WS and RPC is the same idea?
Or that ColdFusion, Kotlin or any language for that instance is the same idea?
Just to put it right, they wanted to REPLICATE Habbo as it is now, which I wouldn't at every aspect, only the gameplay and graphics, so yet again it's not the same idea. :)
Hey man, if you want to take it personal go ahead. Just admit the project died briefly after diving into Habbo’s core and whether that’s loss of time, internet, ability or not - it’s at a stalemate.

I still applaud you for trying but it’s not by any means an unique idea nor approach. Every project like this claims to be different from the rest but alas most are the same and end up not finished and dead

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
end up not finished and dead
Yes indeed and that's because there's nothing in it except waste of time :p
- You can't really earn anything off it (probably a lot when if it was finished), you won't get the acknowledgement because you're not known enough in this community or otherwise some dickhead will ripoff your project and claim it as their own if you were to opensource it.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Yes indeed and that's because there's nothing in it except waste of time :p
- You can't really earn anything off it (probably a lot when if it was finished), you won't get the acknowledgement because you're not known enough in this community or otherwise some dickhead will ripoff your project and claim it as their own if you were to opensource it.
That’s why you take it as a learning project and a hobby. (Your job is already coding) so you’re only investing into yourself by diving into new things even if you do open source it.

PS: I haven’t seen a lot of things stolen without credit in retro’s without someone noticing immediately. Yeah, it’s bad but it shouldn’t stop you from learning and enjoying it

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
That’s why you take it as a learning project and a hobby. (Your job is already coding) so you’re only investing into yourself by diving into new things even if you do open source it.

PS: I haven’t seen a lot of things stolen without credit in retro’s without someone noticing immediately. Yeah, it’s bad but it shouldn’t stop you from learning and enjoying it
Happened to me with LucidCMS, they just made it worse and sold "licenses"LUL

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Happened to me with LucidCMS, they just made it worse and sold "licenses"LUL
Eh just shake it off since you learned from Lucid to get where you are now. Retaliation also had “licenses” for sell by some weird dude who couldn’t even set it up

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
There's been a lot of requesting for me to actually continue on this project and I will.
Here's the reason why:
offers a nice project structure and code base, but unfortunately it ties together with Express, so I've teared that apart and made it a framework for itself so it can be used in the browser (basically Nest is Angular inspired), and since I need a project to code it around and test Storm Engine will fit as a good example.
Currently there's an example on how I'm gonna do the new structure of this project which can be found here:

So to wrap it up; the client will be rewritten in TypeScript using OOP structure and for the server I might go with Dart or Nest

Last edited:

c4353b8e

May 26, 2018
Just curious, what made you go for Socket IO instead of web sockets? I understand ws's aren't supported in a small number of environments but I would have d of thought you would have gone for them since socket IO also uses them. Also, did you just go with React as a personal choice, or did you just not want to use Angular? (Or Vue). I've never used either so if React is better in some kind of way it would be cool to hear about that.

Repo looks good, yours is the strongest and most consistent I've seen so far. Kudos to you for doing a good thing.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Just curious, what made you go for Socket IO instead of web sockets? I understand ws's aren't supported in a small number of environments but I would have d of thought you would have gone for them since socket IO also uses them. Also, did you just go with React as a personal choice, or did you just not want to use Angular? (Or Vue). I've never used either so if React is better in some kind of way it would be cool to hear about that.

Repo looks good, yours is the strongest and most consistent I've seen so far. Kudos to you for doing a good thing.
There's no reason for me to use plain WS over Socket.io.
I could've gone for something like Primus, but Socket.io is battle-tested and consistent to a point where I think it's better, also the API aswell.

Angular isn't really an optional choice for this, as it's a full featured framework whereas 99% of the features wouldn't be used (their templating syntax is fucking garbage).
Also I think it'd be hard to control the actual components and state from outside the Angular application itself plus it's too big of an overhead just for an UI.

I've always been a big fan of JSX (React), so I thought about switching to Stencil, until I realized it was more like a meh in this situation.

Preact or Inferno might be a good replacement for React to cut down on the filesize.

Just a reminder, the repository is at:

Last edited:

c4353b8e

May 26, 2018
There's no reason for me to use plain WS over Socket.io.
I could've gone for something like Primus, but Socket.io is battle-tested and consistent to a point where I think it's better, also the API aswell.

Angular isn't really an optional choice for this, as it's a full featured framework whereas 99% of the features wouldn't be used (their templating syntax is fucking garbage).
Also I think it'd be hard to control the actual components and state from outside the Angular application itself plus it's too big of an overhead just for an UI.

I've always been a big fan of JSX (React), so I thought about switching to Stencil, until I realized it was more like a meh in this situation.

Preact or Inferno might be a good replacement for React to cut down on the filesize.

Just a reminder, the repository is at
I can understand socket.io, personal preference and you have that special relationship since your server is in js, I like that. If I was to code a server in something like C++ or C / Objective C I would probably go for web sockets over socket io, but for JS I would probably follow in your footsteps.

I understand why you chose to React now, Angular seems pretty overkill if you're only going to use a limited amount of their features. The original Habbo (especially the server) did this a lot with packages, which is something I really disliked about a few emulators.

Did you decide on a database system after your poll, or are you still deciding? Good luck man seems like you're on the right track.

Last edited:

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
I can understand socket.io, personal preference and you have that special relationship since your server is in js, I like that. If I was to code a server in something like C++ or C / Objective C I would probably go for web sockets over socket io, but for JS I would probably follow in your footstep

I understand why you chose to React now, Angular seems pretty overkill if you're only going to use a limited amount of their features. The original Habbo (especially the server) did this a lot with packages, which is something I really disliked about a few emulators.

Did you decide on a database system after your poll, or are you still deciding? Good luck man seems like you're on the right track.
Would've loved to use MongoDB, but the TypeORM module is garbage, so the current server for now uses Sequelize, but I'll most likely go with PostreSQL or MongoDB if I can find a proper TypeScript metadata annotation based ORM for it.

Might go with a GraphQL wrapper aswell as it plays nicely with React.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Well decided to go over the top.
The new branch is using TypeScript and Pixi aswell, but with GraphQL, PostreSQL, Prisma, Nestjs and Angular.

Reactions: Bot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread