Why is it so hard leaving retros?

Daltron

Web Developer
Aug 6, 2015
Everyone I mean everyone at some point in time tried to quit Habbo especially Habbo Retros.

It might be easier for people to leave retros that have never developed them but coming from someone who has developed many, many retros I seem to struggle with throwing in the towel.

I keep coming back to the retro community, this has been happening for years ngl.

Is it only me struggling with this or do others have the same issue? I'm just curious tbf.

Roper

Ancient Member
Jul 4, 2010
I quit retros in around 2011, for good. I will say that for aslong as the Habbo sections are alive I will be returning to and from to see how much it's changed since I was involved in the community.
I sometimes log on to a couple of the older hotels, but I know that as long as the Habbo section is alive I will be a part of it.
It's like a drug addiction really.

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018
we love an addicted queen, but as roper stated, its almost like a drug addiction, I joined retros back in 2008 roughly, was here for v26/holocms/phpretro, left for a bit, came back for UberCMS/Phoenix era, left, came back for plus/rev for a bit, left now I'm back with Arcturus/GoldFish, will leave soon again I assume, I get bored and eventually go anonymous, believe it or not lay nester is the first name I've made for myself in this community, leaving retros completely, I don't think I will ever do as Habbo itself is something I grew up on, I joined Habbo in 2007 when I saw my sister playing... so it hits close to home for me.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
Everyone I mean everyone at some point in time tried to quit Habbo especially Habbo Retros.

It might be easier for people to leave retros that have never developed them but coming from someone who has developed many, many retros I seem to struggle with throwing in the towel.

I keep coming back to the retro community, this has been happening for years ngl.

Is it only me struggling with this or do others have the same issue? I'm just curious tbf.

As long as you are addicted to making them and not addicted to the people on it then I don't see a big issue in that.
Running habbo retros is not an easy task you might clean the rust of your coding skills and improve while you run a retro in C# or any language you pick come up with crazy creative ideas to offer users and work in a fast paced environment which will help you maybe with a future job as a technician or something along those lines.

You will at the same time learn how to run an economy and this might give you the experience to later on sell your products in another business. I think Habbo retros is the best way to learn how to code, run an economy, and at the same time be creative for users.

It is not good of course if you do it all day but maybe in the morning when you wake up and have nothing to do then you could go ahead and do something for your retro or something for other people.

I don't see an issue with this the only issue is if you are addicted to a retro so maybe you have virtual friends that treat you better than from in the real world.
Maybe you feel you have a better reputation online than in the real world? this of course is not good but if you think it's bad to develop retros it's completely fine in my view as you are always improving and learning new things maybe get stuck ask someone on here and that way you will become a better programmer and do better things with your skills ;)

Hypothesis

Programmer
Jan 6, 2019
Personally, I've been in retros since I was like 12, now I just turned 19 and graduated high school a few months ago, attending college now. I would like to focus on bigger and better things, like working on my own games, but it's hard to stay focused on my own projects as I was so involved with retros, I much rather prefer developing retros over my own games, no idea why. When it comes to my own games, I'm lazy asf, but when it comes to retros I want to make all this and do all that when it's not even really gonna go far in the long run since it's all just using Habbo's code. It's just an addiction I guess but in a sense a good one. Retros are toxic asf, but I met a lot of cool people on here and some of them I've even worked with on other non-Habbo related projects, so just like any other community, you start to get communications and link up with certain people and who knows maybe in the future you may even end up working with someone from retros on a later project in life. I try to entirely just quit retros and not play anymore, but I always rejoin in one way or another, even if it's just developing for an old friend from the past.

Daltron

Web Developer
Aug 6, 2015
I think for me it was the whole idea of providing for a community in a sense.

I love working on and creating retros which is why I help out the community and users among the community get on there feet.

It is truly an addiction but I guess @Parsov is making a point, I never really realized that it is bettering myself for the future considering the fact that developing retros helps me land jobs in creating websites for companies.

It is quite interesting to think back on the generations the retro community has had.

First we started with Debbo, which don't get be wrong. I fucking hated .webs.com and had to get a prebuilt shockwave player for it aswell hahaha.
Then you had to configure Hamachi for your friends to join because you were to poor to buy a VPS.
Second, was r63 which was quite literally my favorite of all the versions, because it was so customizable and you could literally do anything with ease.
Aaron created Phoenix which was the best generation which is when someone released a cms that had the elephant as the logo, can't remember the name if you know, you know.
Then came the release of UberCMS, then later on RevCMS would be released.
Then came blah hotel with r63 best retro I've ever played personally, then zap with @EveServer aka JontyCat's good ol tinychats hahaha.
Then Aaron was fined who knows how much for selling phoenix emu by sulake.
Then the release of r63 edits such as Gold Tree Emulator < my personal favorite.
Then r63b came around I believe it went BcStorm, Azure, and then Plus. (There was probably others throughout that)
Then here we are today now obviously that wasn't the best depiction of everything but it serves my purpose in showing the upcoming of the retro community.

It is quite insane how a game you have grown up on changes your life forever. I mean shit just look at Aaron and Hyrule (His old MOD on Habboon) they are now married!!!!

Thank you guy's for the replies I love reading how people got to where they are today, it is truly fascinating!
We all in the end share the same love for the game which is really insane imo.

jxckk

Feb 4, 2020
I guess the whole thing is dependant on who you are and the personality you carry.

For some leaving would be the easiest thing ever and for others it'd be hard - but honestly if you're addicted to retros you honestly need to take a step back and evaluate life, it's not healthy.

Parsov

May 18, 2016
I think for me it was the whole idea of providing for a community in a sense.

I love working on and creating retros which is why I help out the community and users among the community get on there feet.

It is truly an addiction but I guess @Parsov is making a point, I never really realized that it is bettering myself for the future considering the fact that developing retros helps me land jobs in creating websites for companies.

It is quite interesting to think back on the generations the retro community has had.

First we started with Debbo, which don't get be wrong. I fucking hated .webs.com and had to get a prebuilt shockwave player for it aswell hahaha.
Then you had to configure Hamachi for your friends to join because you were to poor to buy a VPS.
Second, was r63 which was quite literally my favorite of all the versions, because it was so customizable and you could literally do anything with ease.
Aaron created Phoenix which was the best generation which is when someone released a cms that had the elephant as the logo, can't remember the name if you know, you know.
Then came the release of UberCMS, then later on RevCMS would be released.
Then came blah hotel with r63 best retro I've ever played personally, then zap with @EveServer aka JontyCat's good ol tinychats hahaha.
Then Aaron was fined who knows how much for selling phoenix emu by sulake.
Then the release of r63 edits such as Gold Tree Emulator < my personal favorite.
Then r63b came around I believe it went BcStorm, Azure, and then Plus. (There was probably others throughout that)
Then here we are today now obviously that wasn't the best depiction of everything but it serves my purpose in showing the upcoming of the retro community.

It is quite insane how a game you have grown up on changes your life forever. I mean shit just look at Aaron and Hyrule (His old MOD on Habboon) they are now married!!!!

Thank you guy's for the replies I love reading how people got to where they are today, it is truly fascinating!
We all in the end share the same love for the game which is really insane imo.

There is more history to it. If you were here before you will know that Aaron was around since the V1 eras but he had a shit Emulator which no one used.
Some people got jobs from Sulake like John and Dom. There was Nillius who just ripped JASE Server and got popular for it.
Retros were so shit that people could easily script on them. Like having 10 same users in the room. Or scripting your credits.
Most Emulators back then basically all they had was only Habbo Club and ranks. I think the time Phoenix was around was the worst time because there weren't many selections.
And Aaron made money by basically selling Uber.

That time when Habbo used an ugly language Lingo (Macromedia Director) there were legends like Matt who would code the first scripts.

Also there is a lot of people who got married from retros or habbo.
Most of the things you mentioned above are not that relevant just Gold Tree which I also like and Aaron.
Which in my eyes he did fuck all for this community.

You missed all the interesting part. Someone could write a book about the history of Retros that's how long it is.

People forget about people like Goldenshox, Adus, Jaex and partly Nillius.
I think they were the real programmers who bought us to where we are now.

Kylie

Princess
Dec 9, 2012
It is not hard to leave Habbo/Retros at all especially nowadays. I have been back for around two weeks and became bored and left again. I find them boring compared to the past, full of stupidity and toxic people nowadays and mainly full of kids. It is quite easy when you have a routine in real life such as working full-time or working part-time and in full-time education like myself.

Silenos

Obsessed.
Aug 7, 2017
It is not hard to leave Habbo/Retros at all especially nowadays. I have been back for around two weeks and became bored and left again. I find them boring compared to the past, full of stupidity and toxic people nowadays and mainly full of kids. It is quite easy when you have a routine in real life such as working full-time or working part-time and in full-time education like myself.
No offense but you have said several times that you are no longer interested but you are still actively voicing your opinion and talking about the future of Habbo.
OT: It's hard to leave because we all Habtards, it was just part of our childhood and apparently we still like to hang around.

Parsov

May 18, 2016

You still come back for more though? You still come online even if it's just for 2 weeks.
There is something pulling you back into retros and it just might be the community you feel comfortable in or the entertainment you had from playing it.
It's not easy if you've had history and dedicated a lot of time to projects that are Habbo related you can't just leave them for no use. That's like you wasting maybe 10 years of your life or 5 it doesn't matter into something and then just dumping it like it was nothing.

I mean after you get over it it's good. As I said as long as you are not addicted to the community which is toxic as fuck and they are virtual anyway it's fine.
I'm addicted too but only because I've spent most of my time on Habbo development and leaving it just like that is no easy task.

But I barely play retros or habbo itself only the development is pulling me back into it.
Retros are dying though and very quickly if a big change doesn't happen I just think all the people who are putting effort into their projects will have just wasted their time.
Hopefully we see something that will make Retros better again.

Kylie

Princess
Dec 9, 2012
No offense but you have said several times that you are no longer interested but you are still actively voicing your opinion and talking about the future of Habbo.
OT: It's hard to leave because we all Habtards, it was just part of our childhood and apparently we still like to hang around.
Not really several times, a few times I have stated about being uninterested in Habbo. Also, I stated that I do not like the design of Habbo 2020, which doesn't really relate to quitting and leaving Habbo as it is only an opinion and personal preference..?

Parsov

May 18, 2016
Not really several times, a few times I have stated about being uninterested in Habbo. Also, I stated that I do not like the design of Habbo 2020, which doesn't really relate to quitting and leaving Habbo as it is only an opinion and personal preference..?
That's what his saying, His saying that you keep announcing how you are no longer interested in Habbo but at the same time give your opinions about it's future.
Technically means your interested.

Damien

Don't need glasses if you can C#
Feb 26, 2012

Must show some interest or be in denial about something, if you felt the need to keep reminding people (from 2017) that you don't play retros anymore.
You must be registered for see images attach

Parsov

May 18, 2016
Must show some interest or be in denial about something, if you felt the need to keep reminding people (from 2017) that you don't play retros anymore.
You must be registered for see images attach

I am actually laughing I think 90% of I don't play retro comments are made by her :D

cammy

May 15, 2014
and I oop-

Can't quit and I enjoy it. I guess it does get in the way of things so it could be classed as an addiction...

Just to add on: A lot of people with high maintenance life styles, education and jobs do play Habbo/Retros. (not me)

griimnak

You're a slave to the money then you die
Jul 20, 2013
Most of us here were Habbotards at one point of our lives, but then life takes over.
We transition from the kids in chatrooms to the adults of the future scurrying around figuring out our path.

I fall into the small group of people here that hasn't touched Retros in years.
I'm personally not interested in developing for it or playing it anymore, Id rather dedicate that time toward Minecraft plugins.
Even then, I feel like I'm getting too old for Minecraft these days lol.

I had some good times on retros though. Otaku studios days, those were the best

Kak

Posting Freak
Apr 21, 2017
its not, atleast for me. i left the scene years ago. i havent enjoyed playing retros since 2014. last time i played was like 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread