Why I don't like Christmas

Andeh

the best cis-boy
Jun 1, 2010
I guess you all know why we celebrate Christmas, it kind of lays in the word as well. We're celebrating the birthday of the Messiah, Jesus Christ. The Christmas tradition also includes food, presents, stockings and decorations. In this thread I'm going to briefly explain why I don't like the holiday.

First of all it's all based on a ridiculous concept. I know the whole "there is no God" offence isn't very thick when dealing with a culture where a huge majority of the people are of Christian faith. However if we assume Christianity is real, Jesus still wasn't born in the winter, but during the summer.

Secondly I believe it's way to materialistic. Yes, call me a moral-fag, but I believe that Christmas as all other holidays should be more about the fellowship between family and friends and maybe a bit food than what new overpriced technical device one receive. This again leads to a kind of competition between kids where they compare not how much delight their gifts brought them, but the price tag. This make children from less fortunate families feel down, and generally teaches kids today the wrong values.

The third and final reason (that I bother to list) is a bit more personal one, and doesn't really matter for others. That is that I simply dislike the whole "jolly holiday" concept, including Christmas. I don't like having the family come together or a bunch of mass-produced Christmas decoration all over my parents' house. Singing around the Christmas tree isn't a thing I enjoy doing either.

You might wonder why I bothered writing this, and I simply did it because now I can refer people to something when they ask why I don't like Christmas. Also I really lack hobbies and a solid social life.

Thread moved to Life

HolidayKitteh

Havak

Dec 17, 2012
I don't really get in the mood for Christmas anymore, not since I was about 12 or 13. I think it's because it's something that just happens every year so I don't really get the buzz that I used to when I was little. I do like it for the parties and free shit.

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Comfy Spooning
  • Lots of sex
  • Lots of chocolates
  • FUCK I love Christmas.
  • Presents
MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
I am not celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Since he wasn't even born on the 25th December.

December 25 was picked by the Church. It was favorable as it occurred around the Winter Solstice, and thus made it easier to convert Pagans who were used to celebrating the Yule Festival to Christianity.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
ALMOST ALL HOLIDAYS ARE BASED ON RIDICULOUS CONCEPTS! Do you think the easter bunny is real or something? Same with thanksgiving, you celebrate something that happened years ago, and it's not really something special. Or here in Holland with "Sinterklaas", that's also made up.

Celebrating Christmas with expensive presents is something you CHOOSE to do, in fact it has nothing to do with Christmas. So saying it is to "marialastic" sounds more like you are jaelous on people who are having it. It's the way YOU choose to celebrate it.

And on your last subject, it doesn't has to be a "Jolly holiday", like I said before, it is the way YOU choose to celebrate it.

After all, who actually cares? You got free days from school and if you have a job, you can take a vacation to. So please SHUT UP with this whining shit.

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
You said "Singing around the Christmas tree isn't a thing I enjoy doing either", I would never do that and most of the people I know wouldn't either.

Also, most people don't celebrate it because of the so called 'birth' of Christ. Most people celebrate it just because it's basically a tradition that people have done over many years.

My christmas's until I was ten/eleven were sitting around the table eating, telling stories and what not; after that I basically spend my christmases at parties with mates or at my girlfriends, I guess we all have our own way of celebrating Christmas. I personally don't like the exchange of presents and sitting around the table and whatnot.

Andeh

the best cis-boy
Jun 1, 2010
  • Family
  • Friends
  • Comfy Spooning
  • Lots of sex
  • Lots of chocolates
  • FUCK I love Christmas.
  • Presents
MERRY CHRISTMAS.

I don't like my family nor friends, I don't got anything on with any girl, I'm no chocolate fan and I don't really want anything for Christmas.

Do you think the easter bunny is real or something?
Easter is celebrated because of Jesus' resurrection, not because of the Easter bunny.

It's the way YOU choose to celebrate it.
Living in my "facist" home where my dad is the leader it's not my choice, but his. Of course this only regards me.

Please SHUT UP with this whining shit.
I'm not whining, I'm simply explaining why I don't like Christmas. In addition to this, as stated earlier, I do it so that I can refer people that wonder why I dislike Christmas to this.

Barbie

Dec 3, 2012
I love Christmas :D It makes me happy. Of course I like getting my own presents, but I like going round to my Daddy's house and seeing my little step brother and sister (ages 5 and 8) opening all their presents off "Santa" and seeing how happy they are. It's just so cute. I like all the family time too, because we don't really do that much.

24th: Spend it at home with Mum, brother, and boyfriend.
25th: Visit Daddy quickly in the morning. Me, Mum, brother, Nanna, Grandad, aunty, 2 cousins all go round to my aunty and uncle's house with another 2 cousins for Christmas dinner.
26th: Mum's working so I'll be spending it in my boyfriend's house.
27th: Spend the day with my Dad and brother/stepmum/stepbrother/stepsister and stay over there for the night.

That's my Christmas planned :D Lots of family <33

Donkjam

Professional Moderator
Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
I don't care about the concept of Christmas i don't believe in god lol..

And yeah I'm not really bothered about Xmas but I like It for my little sister and its a day that we can all be together

Queef

Some people...
Jul 27, 2012
I'm going to be home alone for the next 2 weeks and i'm still looking forward to Christmas.

Jezus

The one and only..
Aug 14, 2012
I hate Christmas aswell, I would rather prefer and 2$ gift then a 100$ one. Also i bet only 10% care about those kids in Africa.

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
I agree with , it's how you celebrate it... Christmas & Easter doesn't literally mean you have to focus on what 'concept' or 'belief' it was made of - but the time you are to spend on a vacation. As year goes by, Christmas gets really out of the way ... and all about the Christian faith, there's nothing wrong celebrating it in a religious way, but not too much. :)

xNielsBeatZ

Oct 24, 2012
I'm not gonna lie, Christmas is one of my favourite times of the year. I enjoy having family and friends round, spending time together, and basically just having a good laugh.

Same here!
I like the fact that we get presents, but what i like more is just to be together with your family.

And i agree with GeenStijl, it's the way you choose to celebrate it.

Jump

You are beautiful beyond comprehension
Feb 16, 2011
Here's the reason why I think Christmas is a piece of shite, don't get me wrong I love Christmas! it gets all the family together however, there are some issues that are of multiple people's concern.. I hope.

I won't categorize this as I'm going into deep depths with this to a certain degree but I'll make it as short as possible.

I myself am somewhat a missionary (or will soon be), not one of god but one of humanity, don't go thinking I'm one of them peace dudes! hell no! some wars are necessary... anyway back on topic, In my time of missionary work research I have come across disturbing facts about third world countries and/or continents, the foremost disturbing fact about it is that people are dying every single day from drought, storms, disease, hunger, and War. The death rate is at an unbelievably high rate so high that it is coming VERY close to the amount of soldiers that died in World War One and World War Two combined and counting, another disturbing fact about this is that it could so easily be reduced just by having access to water and food. (and shite I actually just got a nose bleed while typing this)
So really what I'm trying to say here is that I hate celebrating Christmas when so many people are dying from the causes listed above, it just tears my heart.. however me knowing this has benefited myself and others. I gave a lecture earlier this morning in my school concert.. I lied about my act so I could get on stage and share my message, I showed them this video after I was done talking which pretty much contains all that I talked about during the lecture - (can a mod please edit this and make it embedded as I have no clue upon how to do it YET)

So really I only have one reason why I don't like Christmas as much as I wish I could, that is death.

But look on the bright side, there are people working and working and working every single hour to stop this completely, maybe they'll succeed maybe or they won't, but they'll do something.. that's better then nothing right.

Thanks for reading,
Jordan White.

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
I'm a Christian and all but I agree, stop thinking about the christian views to it or the religious views in general, it's a holiday to celebrate so let's celebrate instead of having all this nonsense chit-chat? ;)

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Thing is, Christmas IS a Pagan celebration marking the Winter solstice.
So it isn't religious in a way

Users who are viewing this thread