Whats your favorite programming language, and why?

Seriosk

Programmer;
Oct 29, 2016
Hello, just wondered what everyone's favorite programming is, when they first started learning it and why? :p
Mine is a toss up between C# and C++ because I like the design patterns of both languages.

JynX

Posting Freak
Feb 6, 2016
My favorite language is PHP because I just enjoy coding in it and feel like it's just something not bloody boring. I'm looking forward to learning a bit of C# or Java :)

Seriosk

Programmer;
Oct 29, 2016
My favorite language is PHP because I just enjoy coding in it and feel like it's just something not bloody boring. I'm looking forward to learning a bit of C# or Java :)

Good to know, PHP is probably in my top 10

Ethereal

Neurotic Male
May 18, 2013
Python was my first language, and I love it, even though it made me lazy.

Generic reasons:
  • Forced indentation makes it easy to read and pretty in my opinion
  • Standard library is comprehensive "batteries included"
  • Documentation is in plain English, it's probably the best documentation for a newbie I have ever seen.
  • I can prototype any idea I have quickly.
I'm learning to love C++, though. ;)

Seriosk

Programmer;
Oct 29, 2016
Python was my first language, and I love it, even though it made me lazy.

Generic reasons:
  • Forced indentation makes it easy to read and pretty in my opinion
  • Standard library is comprehensive "batteries included"
  • Documentation is in plain English, it's probably the best documentation for a newbie I have ever seen.
  • I can prototype any idea I have quickly.
I'm learning to love C++, though. ;)

You really don't find noobish documentation much anymore, but I do enjoy actually understanding documentation, sometimes on some documentation I feel like I'm back at school..

Kodys

lmao
Oct 24, 2016
I would say C# is my favourite although recently I've been shifting away from C# and getting more into PHP. Maybe using C# in college and not PHP will change my mind but as of now, PHP is my favourite.

Seriosk

Programmer;
Oct 29, 2016
I would say C# is my favourite although recently I've been shifting away from C# and getting more into PHP. Maybe using C# in college and not PHP will change my mind but as of now, PHP is my favourite.

I started with C#, moved to PHP and recently moved back to C#, I really enjoyed C# when I returned TBH..

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
JS, because well I like the fact that you can use one simple language for all platforms.

And ReactJS because well one library for all platforms.

Last edited:

7r1n17y

Jun 11, 2017
PHP is at the top of my list due to the fact you can do so much with it, For example you can use it to send emails, send phone sms messages, custom URL/json/XML encode functions so if you want to echo a response in json just do json_encode(Your Response). It is also the best security wise. PHP is probably one of the most secure programming languages out there if you are using the best programming practice. It also has a lot of database flexibility, as far as i know PHP is compatible with Access, Ado, Ado_Access, Ado_MSSql, DB2, ODBC_DB2, Vfp, FBSql, iBase, Firebird, Borland_iBase, Informix, Informix72, LDAP, MSSql, MSSqlPO, MySql, MySqli, MySQLt/MaxSql, OCI8, and i can just keep going. Another reason is PHP has fast load compared to ASP, one main reason is the PHP code runs in its own memory space while ASP uses an overhead server and a COM based architecture. Overall PHP is flexible in many different ways just go to the manual and start exploring, but this is my explanation on why i love PHP.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
PHP is at the top of my list due to the fact you can do so much with it, For example you can use it to send emails, send phone sms messages, custom URL/json/XML encode functions so if you want to echo a response in json just do json_encode(Your Response). It is also the best security wise. PHP is probably one of the most secure programming languages out there if you are using the best programming practice. It also has a lot of database flexibility, as far as i know PHP is compatible with Access, Ado, Ado_Access, Ado_MSSql, DB2, ODBC_DB2, Vfp, FBSql, iBase, Firebird, Borland_iBase, Informix, Informix72, LDAP, MSSql, MSSqlPO, MySql, MySqli, MySQLt/MaxSql, OCI8, and i can just keep going. Another reason is PHP has fast load compared to ASP, one main reason is the PHP code runs in its own memory space while ASP uses an overhead server and a COM based architecture. Overall PHP is flexible in many different ways just go to the manual and start exploring, but this is my explanation on why i love PHP.
If PHP is so good, then why is it considered the most awful programming language?
What you just mentioned can all be done faster in e.g NodeJS, Python and Ruby.
If you're saying PHP is secure, then you clearly lack of decent knowledge about programming overall.

7r1n17y

Jun 11, 2017
If PHP is so good, then why is it considered the most awful programming language?
What you just mentioned can all be done faster in e.g NodeJS, Python and Ruby.
If you're saying PHP is secure, then you clearly lack of decent knowledge about programming overall.
Clearly you do not know how secure it is as said here . It is secure if you do it right. If you do not understand PHP you should most likely not use it for production use because of your lack of knowledge. Also this rumor that php.net was hack we're malware was served to users was in fact real. but according to this article ( ) it was server to a small percentage of users and fixed with in 2 days. But if you continue to read it says `More importantly, PHP.net administrators verified that the core Git repository was not compromised, though the site is currently now in a read-only mode. Git is the version control system used by PHP (and countless other software projects today).` Meaning the programming language was not hacked. According to Quora . People are saying `Languages are not secure, tools are. Carefully choose your tools, and use well maintained frameworks and libs when possible.` and `It doesn't make sense to say that one language is more secure than the other. The one that makes a program insecure is the one who programmed it.` So with that being said it is secure if you do it right. Don't mistake the word security. PHP and NOdeJS, ill agree NodeJS is a little bit fast but if you read this article it says `PHP was first released in 1995, followed later by Node.js in 2009, and they are both mainly used as a server-side scripting language for developing web-based applications. However, Node.js is also starting to be used as a desktop application development platform.` So really it can't even compare to PHP on a web development platform. NodeJS is moving as a desktop application development platform. Plus if you visit it explains the PHP has better understanding syntax plus you wont get a lot of help with nodeJS because it says `You won’t get far without some development assistance from the official documentation and resources such as , and .`. Another thing it says `Development technologies are restricted unless they can integrate with databases and drivers. PHP is strong in this area. It’s been around for many years and its extensions system allow direct communication with a host of popular and obscure APIs.` and `How easy is deploying your shiny new app to a live web server? It’s another clear win for PHP. Contact a random selection of web hosting companies and you’ll discover the majority offer PHP support. You’ll probably get MySQL thrown in for a bargain price. PHP is considerably easier to sandbox and more risky extensions can be disabled.`. But i am not going to lie it nodeJs has it's strong point. PHP was some strong points as well, i think we can say that both of these languages are good. Tht goes for Python and ruby. Every Programming language has its strong points and weaknesses.

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Clearly you do not know how secure it is as said here . It is secure if you do it right. If you do not understand PHP you should most likely not use it for production use because of your lack of knowledge. Also this rumor that php.net was hack we're malware was served to users was in fact real. but according to this article ( ) it was server to a small percentage of users and fixed with in 2 days. But if you continue to read it says `More importantly, PHP.net administrators verified that the core Git repository was not compromised, though the site is currently now in a read-only mode. Git is the version control system used by PHP (and countless other software projects today).` Meaning the programming language was not hacked. According to Quora . People are saying `Languages are not secure, tools are. Carefully choose your tools, and use well maintained frameworks and libs when possible.` and `It doesn't make sense to say that one language is more secure than the other. The one that makes a program insecure is the one who programmed it.` So with that being said it is secure if you do it right. Don't mistake the word security. PHP and NOdeJS, ill agree NodeJS is a little bit fast but if you read this article it says `PHP was first released in 1995, followed later by Node.js in 2009, and they are both mainly used as a server-side scripting language for developing web-based applications. However, Node.js is also starting to be used as a desktop application development platform.` So really it can't even compare to PHP on a web development platform. NodeJS is moving as a desktop application development platform. Plus if you visit it explains the PHP has better understanding syntax plus you wont get a lot of help with nodeJS because it says `You won’t get far without some development assistance from the official documentation and resources such as , and .`. Another thing it says `Development technologies are restricted unless they can integrate with databases and drivers. PHP is strong in this area. It’s been around for many years and its extensions system allow direct communication with a host of popular and obscure APIs.` and `How easy is deploying your shiny new app to a live web server? It’s another clear win for PHP. Contact a random selection of web hosting companies and you’ll discover the majority offer PHP support. You’ll probably get MySQL thrown in for a bargain price. PHP is considerably easier to sandbox and more risky extensions can be disabled.`. But i am not going to lie it nodeJs has it's strong point. PHP was some strong points as well, i think we can say that both of these languages are good. Tht goes for Python and ruby. Every Programming language has its strong points and weaknesses.
Just like any other language, PHP code is as secure as the programmer writes it.
Many people think PHP is an insecure language because lots of insecure code has been written using PHP. This is because PHP has a fairly mild initial learning curve, which gives insecure programmers the chance to spit out some insecure code. Also, PHP is pretty widely deployed, which gives it a greater statistical chance of having insecure programmers pick it up for a project.

It takes a lot more work to make your PHP code totally secure, than it does using other languages.
So yes, by these statements I'd say that PHP is less secure.

I have nothing against PHP, but there's just so much shitty code that has been written using that language.

7r1n17y

Jun 11, 2017
Just like any other language, PHP code is as secure as the programmer writes it.
Many people think PHP is an insecure language because lots of insecure code has been written using PHP. This is because PHP has a fairly mild initial learning curve, which gives insecure programmers the chance to spit out some insecure code. Also, PHP is pretty widely deployed, which gives it a greater statistical chance of having insecure programmers pick it up for a project.

It takes a lot more work to make your PHP code totally secure, than it does using other languages.
So yes, by these statements I'd say that PHP is less secure.

I have nothing against PHP, but there's just so much shitty code that has been written using that language.
Yea people who are inexperienced in PHP can post code and might tell other people it is okay to use that code in their project not taking any steps towards security. But that is why people are realease libs/frameworks so your site is good security wise. For example, Zend Framework is a good framework and its security is top notch. They also have Composer so with one command line you can update your framework anytime i new release comes out for it.

Zend Framework -
Composer -

Last edited:

Callam

Jun 15, 2017
I really like PHP because it's extremely easy to use. I also like Java and C# (C# more so due to the . NET framework)

Users who are viewing this thread