[Tutorial] How to share data between all of your PC's.

DaLightz

See ya'll in the afterlife.
May 19, 2012
Note: this only Works with Windows pc's!

So, let's say you have a home. A family, everyone has a pc. But yet, you guys want to stream your data locally with your family. Well, here's how you do it.

In windows machines, there is something know as a Homegroup. Homegroups let you share & stream data locally over your router (ipv4's).

Tutorial-

Step one-
  • Open up your file explorer. (Should look like below.)
0592465d575443a09dd12ca.png
Yeah, click that.

How you should have the default exploring page open. (Should look like below.)
11bc6230d5004ec9b627668.png

Now, on the left hand corner, under the Libraries node, you should see "Homegroup" node.

Go ahead and click that! (Should look like below.)
836d5175e469401b9030d97.png

Now, since I have already set this up, it shows that none of my other computer are online. HOWERVER, it shouldn't show that for you.

You should now see "Create homegroup" in blue text. Once you have done that, confirm and finish the setup.
Congrats! You've finished the initial setup. But that's not all you need to know.

--------------

Creating a custom password that you can remember-

This is actually quite easy. Go ahead and rightclick your Homegroup node. (Should look like below.)
9U2MyQR.png

Once you've done that, click "Change HomeGroup Settings" (You should now have the same as below.)
357c687d7cc647a68cab152.png

Now go under "Other HomeGroup actions" and click "Change the password..." (You should have this same as below.)
orqpXDo.png

Go ahead and follow the instructions it shall give you.

--------------------
Having people join-
Now whenever you're on another computer, access the HomeGroup node from your file explorer, click join Homegroup, and input the password.

Your computer should be able to see users data now!
0ahPH1r.png
>
6CpW3Gp.png

If this has helped you or tought you something new, please drop a like! Thanks!

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
You don't actually have to do all that, if all the pcs are in the same work group (default is WORKGROUP, most people dont change it)
then grab the PC name and do this
if I'm going to my 3rd pc, primary data, and its name is mace-pc-3 here's what you do
  • Press start
  • in the search bar type
  • \\mace-pc-3

where mace-pc-3 is the name of the computer you're connecting to.

DaLightz

See ya'll in the afterlife.
May 19, 2012
You don't actually have to do all that, if all the pcs are in the same work group (default is WORKGROUP, most people dont change it)
then grab the PC name and do this
if I'm going to my 3rd pc, primary data, and its name is mace-pc-3 here's what you do
  • Press start
  • in the search bar type
  • \\mace-pc-3

where mace-pc-3 is the name of the computer you're connecting to.
Well. Yeah. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread