#TeamRev @ QuakeNet — And a guide!

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Team Rev has got a IRC channel on the QuakeNet server. You can join it on #TeamRev

Don't know what the hell IRC is? Well let me tell ya..
IRC (Internet Relay Chat) is a old school chat system that runs on it's own protocol - just like HTTP, FTP and so on - just for chat. It's available for all operating systems and there's even online clients - but it's neater and better to use desktop clients; here's some good ones:

• mIRC — Windows only
  • XChat 2 — Windows, Mac & Linux
  • Quassel — Windows, Mac & Linux
  • Colloquy — Mac only
  • Textual — Mac only
  • Smuxi — Windows, Mac & Linux
How do I use it?Good question... Each client is different in some stuff but they are almost equal when it comes to joining servers and channels. When you fire up a client you should have ability to type in commands in a textfield. Type following to join a server:
Code:
/server <server>
where <server> is replaced with the server you would like to join.

There are many, many servers but the most popular ones are QuakeNet, EFnet, FreeNode, Esper.net and some others. We use QuakeNet as it's one of the most popular and well-known servers on IRC.

and join it with the command above (not including <>)

When you've found a server, you can begin joining it by typing
Code:
/server euroserv.fr.quakenet.org
for an example.

If you successfully joined the server you can choose a nickname by typing
Code:
/nick <name>
Where <name> is again replaced by what name you wan't to have. Not all names are available, as it's first-to-mill so, your name might not be available but you can choose to add some letters, numbers or even symbols to it like
Code:
/nick paul^
If your name is available, you're good to go! You can now join our channel by typing
Code:
/j #TeamRev
- if you see some people in your userlist named Rev infront of their names, you're in the right channel (I suppose) give us a greeting!

You can know who is operators, voiced and normal users by either color or their prefix infront of their name. Operators usually have a @ (at symbol) infront of their name. They moderate the channel and such. Voiced people are normal users, but depending on channel it's either special users that's known very well or maybe auto-voice (All users get's voiced when joining a channel e.g.)

I hope you understood more about IRC, so we hope to see you on our channel!

Gajeel

Oct 4, 2011
Alright. Sounds like TeamSpeak too. In the IRC chat we can talk all about the Rev projects on-going right? And only those are the things we can talk or we can chat all about other things?

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
Awesome. Cool people I know get on!

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Alright. Sounds like TeamSpeak too. In the IRC chat we can talk all about the Rev projects on-going right? And only those are the things we can talk or we can chat all about other things?
The channel is usually for Rev development and help topics so if you cba to see 10000 threads about an error or found a new error, you could report it in here.

Of course you can chat about (almost) everything, it just have to follow the rules of DevBest (except anti-Habbo rules) and QuakeNet.

iHarrison

Mar 11, 2012
If you don't have an IRC client installed then just click this link:

Users who are viewing this thread