Snowlight Emulator by Roy/Meth0d ~ Anyone bothered..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moogly

May 6, 2012
I was looking at getting Meth0d's Snowlight, when it released, but since he quit, and everything, I downloaded the unfinished project, but haven't seen anyone go on about it, so I guess it's dead? Unless someone releases a fix then YAY!
Make a list of bugs and I'll add it to my bugs.txt file and get to it when I have the time to.

Thom

You can't touch this
Oct 1, 2010
Make a list of bugs and I'll add it to my bugs.txt file and get to it when I have the time to.
Wired furni doesnt work unless someone else is already in the room, i think (Wired trigger for user entering room doesn't work for first user to enter, or atleast i found this when trying.)

ProLegitZ

Jacob is here bitch !
May 11, 2012
i thought this emulator was amazing,
it was working perfectly untill they stopped deoveloping it
:L -sigh,

P.S 100th post

Nasty

Feb 26, 2012
What snowlight not dead!
It is developing even in a Spanish forum:
Meth0d meanwhile, in github also a few months ago it was nudging.

Moogly

May 6, 2012
I didn't like a few things about Snowlight, to anyone developing it, if you don't feel like you have to re-code a lot of things, you're probably not going to have a very good development going, if you don't even recode certain classes entirely you wont have much of a good server. Meth0d starts out fine, but then fucks up in random places for some reason...

Aaron11

Aug 27, 2011
What snowlight not dead!
It is developing even in a Spanish forum:
Meth0d meanwhile, in github also a few months ago it was nudging.

Sn0wlight is being continued but there is one problem. Whole thing is written in Spanish and it would take a shitlong amount of time to translate the emulator. The only other thing to do is wait untill it's released and hopefully someone translates it. :L

-Jordan-

Feb 19, 2011
Snowlight was something, its underestimated, Roy planned to sell this so he wrote it pretty well compared to Uber.

iHarrison

Mar 11, 2012
Sn0wlight is being continued but there is one problem. Whole thing is written in Spanish and it would take a shitlong amount of time to translate the emulator. The only other thing to do is wait untill it's released and hopefully someone translates it. :L

So much useless GUI crap on there too, much prefer a console.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I like it, but I prefer Butterfly now, only few bugs I saw on this were to do w/ Achievements. - But it's nice. ;-P - Not a fan of those Spanish releases w/ the GUI shit, like said.

Moogly

May 6, 2012
I like it, but I prefer Butterfly now, only few bugs I saw on this were to do w/ Achievements. - But it's nice. ;-P - Not a fan of those Spanish releases w/ the GUI shit, like said.

I don't like how it handles items, well I don't like how it handles the location of items. If you have 10,000 + items to load the whole thing will have to parse each and every one of them for the X Y and Z instead of just storing them separately and avoiding this hassle which wastes not only processing time but server time that could be used elsewhere. Other than that I think Snowlight was headed in the right direction, I was working on it at one point, however, due to complications I lost my source. I probably have it somewhere on my hard drive but my computers close to completely dying out.

If they ever release a version of Snowlight worth using (the Spanish community), I wouldn't mind translating it. I once asked a Spanish programmer if he wanted assistance but he didn't seem to know me so he didn't really respond. Oh well.

As for Butterfly, I think it's in the right direction but the source is a complete freaking mess, it's just ridiculous. If I want to fix a bug I have to go through different projects and figure out what's what. Bear in mind I haven't had the real chance to go through all of it due to college.

I think Snowlight has the most potential for a good server though (out of the released servers) since it's much more organized and less of a mess, maybe some core portions could be re-done, and the way he handles certain things could use some re-writing but it's really clean code (based on what I remember). At least the code is readable.

flx5

Sep 25, 2012
I've been doing some work upon snowlight, but then the new encryption came up and i've been trying a long time to get those things to work.
Well, I didn't and now I don't have that much time because school takes so much time away I can't really continue to develop. Perhaps I'll do so when I've got some time on the weekends.
And I really have to say, that I hate an implemented GUI.
I'd rather prefer a Mono compatible edition so we could start using Ubuntu/Linux Servers instead of these expensive windows servers.
If we want to have an GUI we should make it by using the so called "MUS". (Don't know if thats the correct expression. I think MUS doesn't "really" exist anymore. Therefore my "MUS" is just called "CommandListener")

Moogly

May 6, 2012
I've been doing some work upon snowlight, but then the new encryption came up and i've been trying a long time to get those things to work.
Well, I didn't and now I don't have that much time because school takes so much time away I can't really continue to develop. Perhaps I'll do so when I've got some time on the weekends.
And I really have to say, that I hate an implemented GUI.
I'd rather prefer a Mono compatible edition so we could start using Ubuntu/Linux Servers instead of these expensive windows servers.
If we want to have an GUI we should make it by using the so called "MUS". (Don't know if thats the correct expression. I think MUS doesn't "really" exist anymore. Therefore my "MUS" is just called "CommandListener")

Remote Connection is the real name. I am working on a reusable RConn server for retros with some other people, I plan on doing a GUI Management project via RConn for my server. As you have said though, school takes up some time, I'm going to be posting the project on CodePlex soon, so everyone can chip in when they can since it's meant to be a group effort. There are other projects I plan on working on as well, but at least a reusable RConn library should be good for everyone.

But you're right, a GUI should never run directly with the server, but a GUI could and should be able to manage one. I went an alternate root by embedding a web based administration panel into the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread