Server run from home?

chiefqueef

gooby pls
Jan 8, 2012
I have a spare server lying in my basement and would like to turn it into a dedicated server run from home, any ideas how I would go abut doing this?

Cheers, Dolan

wite

Posting Freak
Aug 3, 2012
I have a spare server lying in my basement and would like to turn it into a dedicated server run from home, any ideas how I would go abut doing this?

Cheers, Dolan
Hey Dolan,

Just a few things you need to know;
1. It will cost you a redicilous amount of money to keep the server on 24/7 (Probably another $150 at least on your electricity bill monthly).
2. Have you got the Appropriate OS? If you need to get Windows Server, it will cost anywhere between $20-$40. Or, you could use a version of a Linux server for free.
3. Have you got quick internet? For a server, you probably want internet speeds of at least 20.00 Mbps Download and 2.50 Mbps Upload.

If you still are keen on turning this server/PC to life, then you should go about it like this;

Put it in a room that is barely used, where not much is done. This well help to stop people getting in the way and accidently doing something harmful to it.
Install the OS, whether its Windows or Linux (Make sure you get the "Server" version).
Once it is up and going, remember to install IIS, Open the appropriate ports and install MIME scripts like PHP.

Once that is all done, and if you have met all requirements, you have a successful home server. :)

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
The above poster is half right.. lol ^^^

1) This is true considering your server will be consuming a lot of power due to online time.
2) Windows Server isn't $20-$40. Try adding an extra 0 to those numbers.
3) If he wants to use his home connection, then he can. Really depends what he's "dedicating" his server to.
4) I doubt he's planning on using this for a Habbo retro. Not everything needs to be ran off IIS.
5) Isn't there more to than just installing Windows OS and IIS for home/dedicated servers? lol..
6) Power outages is another thing you'll need to look into.

Anyways, it's not recommended to run your dedicated server off your personal home internet connection. Several reasons that is pretty obvious (DDoS attacks, slower upload & download speeds, etc). Depending where you're from and what ISP you use - they may have rules against having a home server (like the ISP I used to be with). It depends if you're wanting to use it for personal use or for a game server of some sort. But personal use would be fine for a website or something, but not recommended for game servers unless you have the proper internet setup and possibly DDoS mitigation.

yoda

Jun 2, 2012
Hey Dolan,

Just a few things you need to know;
1. It will cost you a redicilous amount of money to keep the server on 24/7 (Probably another $150 at least on your electricity bill monthly).
2. Have you got the Appropriate OS? If you need to get Windows Server, it will cost anywhere between $20-$40. Or, you could use a version of a Linux server for free.
3. Have you got quick internet? For a server, you probably want internet speeds of at least 20.00 Mbps Download and 2.50 Mbps Upload.

If you still are keen on turning this server/PC to life, then you should go about it like this;

Put it in a room that is barely used, where not much is done. This well help to stop people getting in the way and accidently doing something harmful to it.
Install the OS, whether its Windows or Linux (Make sure you get the "Server" version).
Once it is up and going, remember to install IIS, Open the appropriate ports and install MIME scripts like PHP.

Once that is all done, and if you have met all requirements, you have a successful home server. :)
Load of shit windows is expensive as hell.
goto and download windows server 2008 datacenter edition for fucking free
What do you plan to do with it and do you know if it works? PM me on here if you need help I can help you anytime. (I actually run servers)
The above poster is half right.. lol ^^^

1) This is true considering your server will be consuming a lot of power due to online time.
2) Windows Server isn't $20-$40. Try adding an extra 0 to those numbers.
3) If he wants to use his home connection, then he can. Really depends what he's "dedicating" his server to.
4) I doubt he's planning on using this for a Habbo retro. Not everything needs to be ran off IIS.
5) Isn't there more to than just installing Windows OS and IIS for home/dedicated servers? lol..
6) Power outages is another thing you'll need to look into.

Anyways, it's not recommended to run your dedicated server off your personal home internet connection. Several reasons that is pretty obvious (DDoS attacks, slower upload & download speeds, etc). Depending where you're from and what ISP you use - they may have rules against having a home server (like the ISP I used to be with). It depends if you're wanting to use it for personal use or for a game server of some sort. But personal use would be fine for a website or something, but not recommended for game servers unless you have the proper internet setup and possibly DDoS mitigation.
I agree with everything he's said.
Make sure to get a power surge protector, they usually give about 10-20 minutes of power for full computers so you can save all your stuff and shutdown (I have 3, they're about $100 each but can get cheaper)

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
Load of shit windows is expensive as hell.
goto and download windows server 2008 datacenter edition for fucking free
What do you plan to do with it and do you know if it works? PM me on here if you need help I can help you anytime. (I actually run servers)

I agree with everything he's said.
Make sure to get a power surge protector, they usually give about 10-20 minutes of power for full computers so you can save all your stuff and shutdown (I have 3, they're about $100 each but can get cheaper)

Not power surge protectors. Those protect electrical surges from damaging your computer/server components. You'll need a UPS which is "uninterrupted power supply" meaning once your power goes down, it still allows a certain amount of time to keep your server running.

yoda

Jun 2, 2012
Not power surge protectors. Those protect electrical surges from damaging your computer/server components. You'll need a UPS which is "uninterrupted power supply" meaning once your power goes down, it still allows a certain amount of time to keep your server running.
I didn't know that's what those where called. My boxes just show "power surge protector", but yes get an "UPS"

Users who are viewing this thread