Recommended PC Builds

grand

Sex? Yes please.
May 4, 2014
Hello. My name is AlexK. I am kind of new to DevBest, and I have been getting into this community more and more from posting threads, messages, being active etc.
Building PCs are 100% personal preference.
But now I would like to get to the topic. What kind of PC build is right for you? Whether you are a programmer, a gamer, or a web surfer, building/buying a PC is a pricey and complicated thing to achieve if you are a noobie in this field. I myself have a good knowledge of how to build PCs, enough to post this thread. Let's get to it!
First I would like to go over the parts of a PC.

• OS - This is what you see on your monitor. You can have Mac OS X if you have Apple, Windows, and Linux. Many people prefer different OS, but it is up to you.
  • Motherboard - This is the central, one of the most important part of your PC. This includes the RAM slots, the CPU, and a majority of your ports are. Without it your computer would be useless.
  • Power Supply - Without this your PC would just be a box of plastic and steel. It is what gives your PC power to run.
  • RAM - Random Access Memory. How ever much RAM you have debates what you can/can not run. Games like GTAV, Fallout 4, require at least 8GB RAM, and other specs to make them run smoothly. If you think the program your running is laggy, and doesn't run smoothly, you should probably upgrade your RAM if you use the program lots.
  • Graphics Card - Also known as a Video Card, this produces the image to your monitor, the better the graphics card, the better the picture you will see on your monitor. This also increases the speed in which images can be rendered. Also good if you want a high-definition screen.
  • Case - This holds all of your hardware in the computer, it can be ATX or Micro-ATX, which are bigger and smaller relatively. If you have an ATX case I would recommend an ATX motherboard, HDD, etc. Same with Micro-ATX.
  • CPU - The brains of the PC. It interprets data and instructions in software programs.
  • HDD - The hard drive is where everything is. You can either have an external HDD or internal, this contains your documents, games, pictures, files, movies, softwares, your OS, everything. The sad truth is if you damage it, you can lose everything on it. That is why keeping backups are key.
  • Keyboard - This is what you need to type characters into your computer. It is kind of hard to type without one.
  • Mouse - Moves that cursor thing you always see on your screen. Also let's you click things
Now for the topic you have so desperately been waiting for, what build is recommended for you?
There are many reasons you built/bought your machine, programming, gaming, music production, graphic design, or just checking your email and your social media.
  • Programmers - A good CPU and RAM are needed for running your programs, RAM is needed to run a good IDE.
  • Gamers - A good everything is needed. This is the most priciest option if you want a your PC to preform well in games. 8-16GB of RAM is recommended, a good Graphics Card, Motherboard, everything. A good gaming PC would be around $800-1000.
  • Music Production/Video Editing - You don't need a PC. But it's your money. A macbook would be wise. And a good CPU/GPU if you do decide to PC.
  • Graphic Design - A good CPU, RAM, Graphics Card would be wise. And a decent mouse. You would probably get off with about 5-800$.
  • Watching videos and surfing the web - You won't need many good specs, if it's just this. A laptop would be recommended.
These are not required builds, of course. You have the freedom to do whatever you want to your machine. That's the fun of it

Thanks for reading my thread, if you think it's terrible, leave a reply. If it helped you then, great!~

Last edited:

Proximity

IDK?
Feb 13, 2014
Not many people just develop a lot of them play games.

Also for the gamers one you really only need to spend 500-600 to get a decent gaming pc that would CRUSH NextGen consoles. Unless that 2000$ PC is the whole setup than maybe....

For the Production type of setups you would want a good TN panel (I think) and yes you are correct with a good CPU/GPU rendering can be a plain bitch.

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Why is this post different colours?

There is no right answer to this, it is possible for all of the stated categories to require as much or fewer specifications depending on what they are going to be running.

Ethereal

Neurotic Male
May 18, 2013
You should suggest Quadros in your post: their overpriced loveliness suits programmers and designers alike. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread