New Web based programming Language?

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
My Name is Garett McCarty,

I am looking for a web based programming language to advance my knowledge on web-based applications.
i already have knowledge in php.
I was looking at Java as a reasonable new language to learn but it seems like Java for web Applications is not gonna be in the future, well at least non applets loll

Can anyone give me some languages that i can learn and are free to use?
I run Linux Mint because of its sexy design :p so Microsoft products are out of the question :p

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Go? Java? Python? Ruby? (The list can go on..)
There's a huge wealth out there atm, I'd suggest taking a look at:
  • JVM based stuff (Scala, Java, Clojure, etc)
  • Ruby
  • Python
  • Go

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Or go with the flow and learn more about JavaScript. You can take a look at (server-side JS) and also there are a lot of JavaScript frameworks made specificly to craft Web Applications;
  • Backbone
  • Ember.js
  • AngularJS - We use this at my work

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
You should use Ruby if developing for the web is your main priority.
Such a generically stupid statement. You should use whatever language is best suited for the web application you are developing (ie - Python is procedural whereas Ruby is not). There's a reason Google utilizes Python as one of their primary languages. They employ hundreds of developers who follow the Python syntax mantra of 'there should be one and preferably only one way to do something'. It allows for those developers to easily read one and another's code to determine its intent. With Ruby, two programmers could have syntactically different codes that does the same exact thing. This causes unneeded ambiguity in a development environment.

As to OP, try Python or Clojure. For someone with a PHP background, this should be an easy transition.

Sway

Ruby and Python are married.
Dec 19, 2010
Such a generically stupid statement. You should use whatever language is best suited for the web application you are developing (ie - Python is procedural whereas Ruby is not). There's a reason Google utilizes Python as one of their primary languages. They employ hundreds of developers who follow the Python syntax mantra of 'there should be one and preferably only one way to do something'. It allows for those developers to easily read one and another's code to determine its intent. With Ruby, two programmers could have syntactically different codes that does the same exact thing. This causes unneeded ambiguity in a development environment.

As to OP, try Python or Clojure. For someone with a PHP background, this should be an easy transition.

Chill. OP asked for an opinion and that was mine. I would prefer using Rails or Sinatra (two frameworks created in Ruby) if I am creating a web application (content management system in OP's case) over any other language, including Python.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
Chill. OP asked for an opinion and that was mine. I would prefer using Rails or Sinatra (two frameworks created in Ruby) if I am creating a web application (content management system in OP's case) over any other language, including Python.
There was nothing wrong with your opinion up till you stated 'if developing for the web is your main priority'.

Users who are viewing this thread