New computer cluster project

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
My new project I'm working on (Not at my apartment thank god) with about 25 computers total, I got all the parts for about $250 and cases for around $20 (All together). I'm still in the process of building the machines (waiting on risers and screws basically) and writing the OS. Here's some pictures:

(I put them in links for the sake of loading)
- Misc. parts, power cables, sound cards and a few already thrown together PCs
- close up I guess also a newer pic of the above
- the open PC is in the middle of being torn out. all those are put together
- Computer shells, just a few
- hard drives and motherboards.

Will look slightly less ghetto once it's done, if it gets done.

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
If you were reselling the computer, what kind of computers are we talking about? Good ones, basic use, etc etc

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
What exactly are you building all these machines for? To resell?
as the title says, a computer cluster, I assume you don't know what that is:

If you were reselling the computer, what kind of computers are we talking about? Good ones, basic use, etc etc
Decent, most are Pentiums - i5s, and a few AMD thrown in there. I have 3 graphics cards for each, none super good, 9800GT or below (even non-name brand)

Wassim

♕ The Awesomeness Within...
Sep 22, 2011
Post pics when finished thanks ill be following up with this seems interesting

Reedz

#1 Baller
Jul 9, 2012
Interesting project and I'm looking forward to see your results. Keep this thread updated pl0x.

Good luck also.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Interesting project and I'm looking forward to see your results. Keep this thread updated pl0x.

Good luck also.

for you.

The host computer is on the left (With 2 CD drives and a hotswap bay) it's one of the best computers that I have in the cluster project. An i5-670 with 8gb ram and a few HDDs. The cables you see in the picture go to my network switch.

Leader

github.com/habbo-hotel
Aug 24, 2012
omg you should host a minecraft server on it when done :D
Cant wait to see finished product. I would do this if my family had money

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
Looks good just wondering where you got all them stuff from .. Lol good luck though
I stole it.
Looks cool, I wonder how much of an electricity bill it will make..
Wait, computers don't run off hopes and dreams?
omg you should host a minecraft server on it when done :D
Cant wait to see finished product. I would do this if my family had money
I'm not sure how to respond.

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
y0u're "making the operating system"?
I was, yes. Now I'm done.

I forgot all about this thread but seeing as I'm going off to college, I'm quitting work so I'm moving in with my Dad. All the hardware parts have been put into boxes and all the computers will just stay where they are. I don't plan on touching this project for a few more months.

Sorry.

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
I was, yes. Now I'm done.

I forgot all about this thread but seeing as I'm going off to college, I'm quitting work so I'm moving in with my Dad. All the hardware parts have been put into boxes and all the computers will just stay where they are. I don't plan on touching this project for a few more months.

Sorry.

That's a downer, I was really looking forward to seeing it complete! Anyway, good luck with the move and college! Can't wait to see this finished if it ever is. :)

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
That's a downer, I was really looking forward to seeing it complete! Anyway, good luck with the move and college! Can't wait to see this finished if it ever is. :)
I'm a little disappointed but I didn't get extremely far into the hardware because I need screws and spacers and don't really have the extra money.
Thanks for the luck, I hope I won't need it :).

Users who are viewing this thread