gochad

Lacrim
Feb 9, 2019
Hey there devbest users i need some help im trying to use heroic made by chris,
The problem is i dont know how to set it up on my linux vps and its made in nodejs so if someone can help me please respond and dont ignore :D

JynX

Posting Freak
Feb 6, 2016
You'll want to first login to the VPS using an SSH client (I recommend PuTTY -- ). If you're unsure about how to do this a quick Google search of "how do I connect to a Linux server using SSH CLIENT HERE" will almost always do the trick. After doing that you'll want to ensure you know which Linux distribution you are using as this will greatly effect the Google searches you should run down the road. For example, if your server is Ubuntu you would want to then Google "how do I install NodeJS on Ubuntu" and you can change the Ubuntu part depending on whether you're using Debian, Fedora, CentOS, or some other one out there. After getting NodeJS installed and ensuring it's installed properly you can Google "how do I setup a MySQL server on UBUNTU" and follow a tutorial on setting it up and configuring it (I strongly suggest you do NOT use a root MySQL account as it's a security risk in itself). Moving on you'll want to download the files for both Arcturus (this is the default server that Heroic supports) and Heroic itself to a directory probably within your /home folder. Next you'll want to extract both of the archives that you've downloaded (you'll probably need to install "unzip" if it's not a default package provided by your host). And the next step would be to Google "how do I execute a SQL file for MySQL on UBUNTU" and go ahead and do that with both Arcturus' and Heroic's SQL file that's provided. The next step in this novel is going to be to configure the config.json file that should be in the extracted folders from before and adjust the settings (an example configuration can be found in Chris' repository on Github -- ). Then you'll want to run the command 'npm install' to install all needed dependencies that Heroic runs on. The next step is going to be to install the JRE onto the server, yet again another Google search of "how do I install JRE on UBUNTU" will give you the go around on that. Next configuring the configuration files for Arcturus to be correct, after that you can use something like Tmux or Screen (you can Google how to use either of these) to run your program(s) in the background even after the terminal (the SSH client) is closed. I suggest you utilize a SFTP program like WinSCP (for Windows, I don't recommend FileZilla) to edit the configuration files for both as it's easier than using the vim/nano route. If something seems to not be connecting you'll want to ensure that the ports needed are opened.

Erm, I probably missed some shit but give it a shot and message me if you need help (bet nobody even bothers doing what I listed above because y'all some lazy fucks). Googling most things for your distribution will give you a word for word tutorial on how to solve a specific problem, it just takes a little bit of effort. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

gochad

Lacrim
Feb 9, 2019
You'll want to first login to the VPS using an SSH client (I recommend PuTTY -- ). If you're unsure about how to do this a quick Google search of "how do I connect to a Linux server using SSH CLIENT HERE" will almost always do the trick. After doing that you'll want to ensure you know which Linux distribution you are using as this will greatly effect the Google searches you should run down the road. For example, if your server is Ubuntu you would want to then Google "how do I install NodeJS on Ubuntu" and you can change the Ubuntu part depending on whether you're using Debian, Fedora, CentOS, or some other one out there. After getting NodeJS installed and ensuring it's installed properly you can Google "how do I setup a MySQL server on UBUNTU" and follow a tutorial on setting it up and configuring it (I strongly suggest you do NOT use a root MySQL account as it's a security risk in itself). Moving on you'll want to download the files for both Arcturus (this is the default server that Heroic supports) and Heroic itself to a directory probably within your /home folder. Next you'll want to extract both of the archives that you've downloaded (you'll probably need to install "unzip" if it's not a default package provided by your host). And the next step would be to Google "how do I execute a SQL file for MySQL on UBUNTU" and go ahead and do that with both Arcturus' and Heroic's SQL file that's provided. The next step in this novel is going to be to configure the config.json file that should be in the extracted folders from before and adjust the settings (an example configuration can be found in Chris' repository on Github -- ). Then you'll want to run the command 'npm install' to install all needed dependencies that Heroic runs on. The next step is going to be to install the JRE onto the server, yet again another Google search of "how do I install JRE on UBUNTU" will give you the go around on that. Next configuring the configuration files for Arcturus to be correct you can use something like Tmux or Screen (you can Google how to use either of these) to run your program(s) in the background even after the terminal (the SSH client) is closed. I suggest you utilize a SFTP program like WinSCP (for Windows, I don't recommend FileZilla) to edit the configuration files for both as it's easier than using the vim/nano route. If something seems to not be connecting you'll want to ensure that the ports needed are opened.

Erm, I probably missed some shit but give it a shot and message me if you need help (bet nobody even bothers doing what I listed above because y'all some lazy fucks). Googling most things for your distribution will give you a word for word tutorial on how to solve a specific problem, it just takes a little bit of effort. Good luck! :)
thanks so much <3

gochad

Lacrim
Feb 9, 2019

May make more tutorials for configuring/setting up SWFs
thanks
Post automatically merged:

May make more tutorials for configuring/setting up SWFs
can you make a tutorial for the arcturus emulator how to run it and run the server at the same time

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread