PC Minecraft SkyFactory 2: How to Begin

Delete

Jun 22, 2016
Welcome to Minecraft SkyFactory modded survival!
This tutorial will teach you the basics of SkyFactory and how to build your factory. When you start up Minecraft SkyFactory and you go to create a world, make sure you change your settings so your world type is "Void World" Should look something like this:
6e4f4af70f794997af49250e638799ee.png

The Start

The first thing you are going to notice is that you are on nothing but a tree and a dirt block, this is not a glitch! This is where you are going to start. In your inventory you will see various books and a torch, save those books for later, you're going to need them. Start breaking the leaf blocks with your hand but don't fall! After you break all the logs and leaves you should have at least one sapling, if you don't, you need to restart your world. (I know, it sucks.) Next you need to use some of the wood to build around the tree, but not all of the wood. I would recommend using wooden slabs as it gives you six slabs for three wood, practically doubles your wood! After you've built a little bit for you to walk around and stand, make a crafting bench then put the crafting bench back into your crafting slots to making a crafting station. Place the crafting station somewhere on your island. The put four sticks together in an upside down L shape (see picture below) That will make you a crook. Crooks will give you a higher chance to get saplings, apples, and will give you silk worms.
d530db87b9a240e3b8f64a9bdd77bf11.png

Crook crafting recipe

Now you want to re-plant your sapling on the dirt block and repeatedly press shift. This will make the sapling so you won't have to wait forever for your tree to grow. After you use the crook on the leaves you should have noticeably more saplings and a silk worm. If you do not have any silk worms, repeat the process until you get one.

Getting Cobblestone

To get cobblestone you need to make a wooden barrel, you need six wood planks and one wooden slab at the bottom (see image below)
110d6eef6472481b8d392ee05941761a.png

Barrel crafting recipe

When you put certain items in the barrel it will compost and make a piece of dirt, since you just started, I would put eight saplings into the barrel to make dirt. Here are all the items you can put in the barrel:

Trees :- Saplings, leaves from Oak,Spruce,Birch,Jungle, Rubber, Force, Silkworms AND Silk/String, Apples,Vines.
Mob Drops:- Rotten Flesh, Spider Eyes, String, Beef, Chicken, Pork, Eggs, Fish.
Farming item:- Wheat, Dandelions, Roses, Brown Mushrooms, Red Mushrooms, Carrots, Potatoes, Poison Potatoes, Sugar Cane, Tall grass, Nether Wart, Melons, Pumpkins, Cactus, Lily pads,
Crafted items :- Baked Potatoes, Jack-o-lanterns, Pumpkin Pie

Then you need a sieve, to make a sieve you need to infest a tree of silk worms. Get a silk worm in your hand then right click on on a leaf block, it should turn brighter. If you wait long enough, it will turn white and the leaves around it will also turn white. If you break those with a crook you should get string. You need at least eighteen string to make a sieve. (see image below) You need to make "Silk Mesh" (see image below) which is nine string in the crafting bench.
e8a50c54834c44f9a51addcc91229db3.png

Silk mesh crafting recipe

8c923b3ddf58428ca1cc702eecf6fb86.png

Sieve crafting recipe

If you put the dirt through the sieve and you hold right click you should get stone, sometimes you won't get enough stone to make cobblestone. Four stone makes one cobble. (see image below)
97ce592232f4405c93afdf4ddad4d0df.png

Cobblestone crafting recipe

Keep expanding your island and plant more trees, this will help later on for the cobblestone generator.

The Generator

Now that you can make cobblestone, you need enough cobblestone to make a regular vanilla furnace and a couple more. In the mean time, make more barrels and wait for it to rain, you need at least three barrel to fill up with water when it rains (four for good measure.) You need a hammer (see image below) Break cobblestone with a hammer to get gravel, break gravel to get sand, break sand to get dust. Place dust in your barrels full of water to get clay and make a clay bucket. (see image below)
7eb7e6377b4f4905a02e2fd518e72da8.png

Hammer crafting recipe (Cobble can be substituted for wood)
cb1ffdd437804ba7937e9d50b2f20535.png
Note: The clay bucket will be destroyed after one use of lava, place all water first
Unfired clay bucket crafting recipe

Put the clay bucket in the furnace and when it is done you will have a fired clay bucket. Now you need a crucible, to make a crucible you need porcelain clay, for porcelain clay you put bone meal and clay together in a crafting bench. Now you can make a crucible (see image below.)

594da7b730df48d386c7bb47a13e8ea2.png

Crucible crafting recipe

Put the unfired crucible in the furnace. The fired crucible can be placed over heat sources and depending on the heat source will increase the speed.
6ec453a7da744129974c4e493b4b1be5.png

Heat sources for crucible

You are going to put yours over a torch or a lit furnace. After you put it over a torch or a furnace, put four cobblestone in to create lava. Now that you have lava, you need to set up your cobblestone generator. I would recommend making the generator out of cobblestone and away from your base so it does not burn everything. There are many ways to make a cobblestone generator but I will be using the way I do it. Make a structure similar to the image below.
8769bc51ceb24f35814927639a099b12.png

Cobblestone generator example

The circle is where the water will go, place this first and make sure it flows down the open hole. The 'X' is where the lava will go, be sure to place is the farthest block to the left inside the structure. The miner drawing is where you will stand to collect the cobblestone. Here is it in working order:
dc33151d4d5c4ea8a92b217187e57c31.png

Cobblestone generator example working

Notice the arrow I drew pointing that one specific block, that is the block you will mine, do not place that block while setting up the generator it will be generated.

That's it! You have just finished the basics to Minecraft SkyFactory mod pack! Be sure to look at the purple 'Achievement Book' you got when you spawned, it will tell you what to do from here and be sure to tick off your progress, have fun everyone!

- Delete
For more information, I am creating a Let's play on my YouTube channel. Go to /user/TheJustinChannle to check it out!​

Users who are viewing this thread