Java Exploit

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
This came up on my Anti Virus and I upgraded immediately. Some of you may already have updated, some not. I know I didn't. It's highly recommended that you do!

Security experts are recommending computer users disable or uninstall Java following the discovery of a zero-day Java exploit which allows hackers to take control of vulnerable Macs, PCs and Linux computers.

The exploit takes advantage of a vulnerability left open in Java 7 Update 10, released in October of last year. It works by getting Java users to visit a website with malicious code that takes advantage of a security gap to take control of users' computers.

Update: Oracle has released Java SE 7 Update 11 to address the vulnerability. It "strongly recommends" that Java SE 7 users upgrade immediately.

What's worse is this particular exploit is reportedly being used to push ransomware, a type of attack that demands users pay to have control of their computers returned from a hacker's grasp.

Here's where you go to update:

Download the JDK Update which will update your current Java stuff. And then remove any older versions under 11.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Was going to post this myself, thanks for posting it. - I suggested EVERYONE to install this, (if on Java 7).

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
They've patched the exploit? lol
There could be more?

I uninstalled java.
No Minecraft :(

For those of you who don't know how but want to, here's how to do it in windows 7/8:
1)Press start and type "Uninstall"
2)Find and click "Uninstall a program"
2.a)If you haven't done this before it will take a second to load
3)Find java --
4) Right click it, press "uninstall"
5) Wait untill done and uninstall other versions
6)???
7)Lose Minecraft time (NO profit!)

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
I have Java 7 Update 9 / Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 23 / JavaFX2.1.1
I don't know how I got all these. Someone tell me what ones to uninstall and what new ones to download.

Benden

maging ang maganda mamatay
Jun 4, 2010
I have Java 7 Update 9 / Java SE Development Kit 6 Update 23 / JavaFX2.1.1
I don't know how I got all these. Someone tell me what ones to uninstall and what new ones to download.
Remove all of those, download the one in the link above.

Logic

Bobby Billionaire
Feb 8, 2012
He doesn't need to uninstall JDK, the exploit is specific to the Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

He can get rid of JavaFX though as it's useless unless you use it for mobile development.

[2] this.

However, I just uninstalled it all, and downloaded JDK which included everything.

Ecko

23:37 [autobots] -!- eckostylez [[email protected]]
Nov 25, 2012
i have 2, jre7 and jre6
That's Java Runtime Environment, which is different than JDK (Java Development Kit - used for compiling Java really).

You can still check your environment variables to check what version of Java it's using to run Java (JAVA_HOME).

Users who are viewing this thread