Is it possible to hide your content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millzeeg

Apr 4, 2018
Is there a way you can hide your CSS files so people can't just go to your Habbo Retro and steal your work? For example I could just go to a hotel called Bobba Hotel, right click, click view source and see all their code and see a link to their CSS, so I could copy it if I like. Is it possible to stop that? Doubt it.

Joe

Jun 10, 2012
The browser needs to read the source in order to create the websites we use, so theoretically no. However, not sure if you can encrypt it some how.

I’m pretty sure you can steal any website on the web, don’t be afraid of your Habbo retro :p

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
It won't help with people ripping it lol
If people are ripping the CMS, chances are they can't code. So if you obfuscate your css and HTML by naming IDs and Classes ridiculous, spreading your css out between 30 css files, and make it difficult for them to get everything and edit it after they get it, they probably wouldn't bother ripping it

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
If people are ripping the CMS, chances are they can't code. So if you obfuscate your css and HTML by naming IDs and Classes ridiculous, spreading your css out between 30 css files, and make it difficult for them to get everything and edit it after they get it, they probably wouldn't bother ripping it
There's multiple one click rip apps available, seems like all that achieves is a lot of wasted time on your part.

Reactions: Joe

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
I don't mind uglifying the class and IDs, because it's not done on dev side, only production

But it won't help with ripping, there is no way you can prevent ripping :p

All client-side code has to be visible in order for the client to render it, your only option is to make your site so ugly that no one wants to rip it

Best Answer

Close thread, problem solved

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Yeah, that's just not going to happen mate lol.
Don't ask for advice then, because making CSS magically hide isn't doable and the only alternative is to just use Javascript (which also should defeat ripper programs)

Basic ass code using Jquery:
$('head').append('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="{url}">')

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
No. You can only make it harder for them to edit w/ obfuscating but that's ugly and not worth it.

You can't "encrypt" it, because their browser can just decrypt it?? They can rip /all/ client-side content, even dynamic JS content. @LeChris

The only thing you could realistically do is block any user agents that aren't Gecko or Chrome but then they could just spoof their UA.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
No. You can only make it harder for them to edit w/ obfuscating but that's ugly and not worth it.

You can't "encrypt" it, because their browser can just decrypt it?? They can rip /all/ client-side content, even dynamic JS content. @LeChris

The only thing you could realistically do is block any user agents that aren't Gecko or Chrome but then they could just spoof their UA.
I literally said it could still be ripped, but would just make it harder. Also a lot of rippers do it manually and not using tools. I fail to see value in your comment

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Don't ask for advice then, because making CSS magically hide isn't doable and the only alternative is to just use Javascript (which also should defeat ripper programs)

Basic ass code using Jquery:
$('head').append('<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="{url}">')

False, you're the one adding zero value to this thread.

I gave reason why none of the solutions mentioned work, including yours. & also said the only realistic way to attempt to block bots is via the UA string, but even that isn't hard to change.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
False, you're the one adding zero value to this thread.

I gave reason why none of the solutions mentioned work, including yours. & also said the only realistic way to attempt to block bots is via the UA string, but even that isn't hard to change.
Blocking bots when most of the rippers do not use programs to do so, only when they feel lazy would do nothing.

Please stop with your false sense of helpful comments. It’s not when it fails to prevent the easiest way to rip, which is literally copying the CSS file from view source.

My way would make it much harder and I even pointed out the downsides. The downsides of your way is literally everything unless they use a program which for some reason doesn’t spoof its headers (is there even a ripper that horrible?? that it doesn’t spoof)

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Your question has been answered. It doesn't really matter how you do it, client-sided code, let it be HTML, CSS or JavaScript can always be copied. You can only make it harder for people to edit after they copied it, but that's about it.

Reactions: Joe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread