Is being gay a societal norm?

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
I don't believe it's reached the point where we can call it a social norm. However, I see less people being uncomfortable around gays, or having a problem with homosexuality in general. I do believe that one day (and hope), gays will have the same equal rights as heterosexuals. It's just something that takes time.

Either way, as I am gay, I don't honestly care what people see it as. If you have a problem with me, well that's more for you to worry about. I just don't see any point in stressing over what others think about me, gay or not.

brsy

nah mang
May 12, 2011
Hey butthole. Nobody wants your opinion unless you back it up
It definitely isn't a norm because a norm means that the majority... Most people in the United States are heterosexuals, or either too afraid to announce that they're gay. Even if that's the case, it proves my point because if you're afraid to announce it, then you're afraid of society judging you for being different... and if you're different that means you're not like the majority.

Miserable

Apr 27, 2012
Personally, I think the reason down to why we still aren't accepting it is due to education and the media. If for example, you taught a child not just about heterosexual encounters but about homosexual encounters too then would the next generation feel so obliged to see it as an unnatural and inhuman way to be? the more than likely answer is no. At this current time, children are only learning about heterosexual sex and so yes, yes they will then see that this is the moral way to look at things because they have this ideal image in their heads from what they have seen and learnt that being homosexual is not what we are meant to be. This doesn't mean shoving the concept of being a homosexual down the childs throat, but more to the point to raise awareness that there are other couples in this world other than male and female companions.

My second point, the media. Now although the media have been a little more accepting, has it been so accepting that it could change the way we think? No. In every TV advert I have seen over the few years, I do not remember one single advert that had a female and female companionship or male to male in another case because perhaps at this point they don't want to feature the 'unnatural' occurrences to sell their projects. As well as this, celebritys that have come out as homosexual aren't praised enough for being an inspiration to everyone. Me personally, I'm not homosexual but I'm in support for the rights of the community and have been to the pride parade on one occasion to support a friend - at this current point in times, I would, myself, feel slightly bewildered as a celebrity of a sexuality that was frowned upon because having so many people watching you on a day to day basis can and will have an effect on you be it good or bad.

Aercor

The Official Gay
Oct 1, 2011
Maybe it's just where I grew up and currently reside, being a gay male has not really made a negative affect on me. I've ran into those occasional ignorant asses, but pretty much everyone has been accepting. I think it's becoming closer to a social norm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcel

You're the guy who stole my car
Jul 17, 2015
I just hate gays, #Christian
But I guess this world is fucked up, so yeah the world will be all soon gay so can't say anything.

NovaHotel

Mar 28, 2016
In some societies it is and some it isn't. In the west it is considered the norm now as it is widely accepted.

Virgin

i am a virgin
Apr 6, 2016
Gay people are fine, to be fair? They don`t really start trouble... So it`s not the end of the world someone being Gay or Lesbian.

Users who are viewing this thread