Is being gay a societal norm?

Dicks

Feb 9, 2014
In society's true definition: no.
In society's connotation: still no.

I see tons of straight people in society, although it might be a regional bias. In general, I don't really see a significant amount of homosexuality compared to heterosexuality within society. Gay rights on the other hand...

Last edited:

Alam

shietttt
Jul 3, 2011
Some people are fine with it, some aren't. Although I still wouldn't call it totally tolerable.

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
In society's true definition: no.
In society's connotation: still no.

I see tons of straight people in society, although it might be a regional bias. In general, I don't really see a significant amount of homosexuality compared to heterosexuality within society. Gay rights on the other hand...
One could argue that heterosexuality has been the norm for the last few thousand years

Zeddicus

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
Mar 23, 2012
It's not - although many hipsters accept it.

(No offence to gay people)

I have nothing against it, but I don't consider it a social normality.

Heterosexuality is what allows us to breed, so I see that as the sexuality that was originally intended for humans.

Dicks

Feb 9, 2014
Yes, to reproduce... That's why one gender has semen and the other has eggs to be fertilized.
Humans being created is debatable. Human intentions are subjective. Honestly I don't see why homosexual acts aren't considered to be as natural as heterosexual acts, since both occur in nature and occur in multiple species.

Zeddicus

Mar 23, 2012
Well to put it on two different levels

If you're religious - then yes, they were created by a superior being for the purpose to recreation
If you're atheist - then evolution has designed us to recreate

Dicks

Feb 9, 2014
Well to put it on two different levels

If you're religious - then yes, they were created by a superior being for the purpose to recreation
If you're atheist - then evolution has designed us to recreate
Religion is irrelevant. Recreation is crucial to a specie's survival. It doesn't mean that it's necessary when there's more than enough of that specie already (especially when the specie is overpopulated).

I don't know what you meant by evolution has designed us to recreate; if it has, then homosexuality wouldn't exist?

Kieren

The OGz
Aug 4, 2010
Being gay is not a mental disability. It's funny how you can consider yourself mentally Ill? Being gay is also not an option and 97% of heterosexual men carry out homosexual acts at least ones in their lives. Homosexuality in my personal opinion is caused through childhood or it's in our genes. One can simply not choose to be gay nor can a gay man or woman choose to be straight it's who they are and what gender they are attracted to. If I were to choose I would of chosen to be straight to save discrimination or the though of possible neglect. In 2011 laws supporting homosexuality have improved and changed peoples personal judgment on how the world handles homosexuality and themselves. Being gay IS normal in many ways if you define normal? however if you're religious then you might disagree and have your own personal thought, baring in mind homosexuality was carried out before and after bc. Define normality? Bombing buildings, murdering and raping innocent victims? Disabilities, rapists, Muslim, Jewish, Christian can not define normal. Not even you!

That's my personally opinion on this debate, since it's hugely discussed on this board.

Zeddicus

Mar 23, 2012
Religion is irrelevant. Recreation is crucial to a specie's survival. It doesn't mean that it's necessary when there's more than enough of that specie already (especially when the specie is overpopulated).

I don't know what you meant by evolution has designed us to recreate; if it has, then homosexuality wouldn't exist?

Even if we're overpopulated, we were still designed to populate. That's the bottom line.

Heterosexuality was the intended sexuality in my opinion.

I look at homosexuality as a sort of "odd one out" sort of thing.
Kind of like a mental instability - but that's my opinion.

Penis was made to ejaculate into a Vagina which then fertilizes the sperm eggs to then house a human being.

That's life - it's how it was intended. Bottom line.

Wassim

♕ The Awesomeness Within...
Sep 22, 2011
Being gay is not a mental disability. It's funny how you can consider yourself mentally Ill? Being gay is also not an option and 97% of heterosexual men carry out homosexual acts at least ones in their lives. Homosexuality in my personal opinion is caused through childhood or it's in our genes. One can simply not choose to be gay nor can a gay man or woman choose to be straight it's who they are and what gender they are attracted to. If I were to choose I would of chosen to be straight to save discrimination or the though of possible neglect. In 2011 laws supporting homosexuality have improved and changed peoples personal judgment on how the world handles homosexuality and themselves. Being gay IS normal in many ways if you define normal? however if you're religious then you might disagree and have your own personal thought, baring in mind homosexuality was carried out before and after bc. Define normality? Bombing buildings, murdering and raping innocent victims? Disabilities, rapists, Muslim, Jewish, Christian can not define normal. Not even you!

That's my personally opinion on this debate, since it's hugely discussed on this board.
I see where you're coming from but I did say, I "think" it is a mental disability. Think of it like this, woman have holes while men have tubes, men and woman can procreate while two men or woman can't, hence it being unatural. But as you said one cannot pick to like woman or men, I myself bein a Muslim found it hard as a kid because I couldn't show my attraction to men.. I guess I grew to prefer women over men, but do get horny over men.

Ps. I have crazy sexual fantasias which include animals, men, kids, and woman. I try to stay away as much as possible from kids and animals xD.. Men and woman are a different thing. I dot think I could ever love a man as much as I would a woman but I wouldn't mind passionate sex with either

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
Back to the main topic, I don't think it's a societal norm, not in the slightest. I don't see any indication of society leaning towards people being/becoming gay. You could argue that some people are sub-consciously pressured into becoming gay due to the way they're raised or things they've been through upon their upbringing.

My opinions is if it happens it happens, there's no point fighting it if the urges are there (embrace it).

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
I take note to some people replying it's a mental disability, you can't label feelings as a disability. It's prove in not only humans but in many other species that their are gay acts including sex. With this being said if it was such a bad thing and if god existed wouldn't animals (whose mental capacity is normally far less then humans) all be straight, especially because they act upon instinct instead of their actual beliefs. I also would like to point out that in society there is a lot that separates people and until today I didn't realize how many homosexuals are in my community, I realized this today at school when I happened to sit in a group of people who where homosexual. I say as time goes on it becomes more acceptable and part of our lives. Whether people like it or not it's there and it always will be there, so in all honesty it's only a social norm if you want it to be :) this is usually a taboo topic with friends at school or people in the neighborhood for most people

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010

That statement has no logic.
"I don't know what you meant by evolution has designed us to walk on two legs; if it has, then why are there people born without legs?"

Checkmate.
Being homosexual is not natural nonetheless it's a matter of time until it's accepted by society, because hate and discrimination are simply wrong.

GarettM

Posting Freak
Aug 5, 2010
That statement has no logic.
"I don't know what you meant by evolution has designed us to walk on two legs; if it has, then why are there people born without legs?"

Checkmate.
Being homosexual is not natural nonetheless it's a matter of time until it's accepted by society, because hate and discrimination are simply wrong.
Because of scientific advances dude... because people are "caring" and allow to let screw ups live @Kryptos

Users who are viewing this thread