How many of you guys ever had a CT(CAT) scan before?

Zeddicus

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
Mar 23, 2012
I was hospitalized on New Years, and the doctor ordered me to take a CT scan, so I did.

Unsuspectingly, I took 3 scans of my abdomen & lungs which was about 45 seconds altogether. I figured, well if the Doctor told me to do it, it can't harm me. It's just like an MRI, right? But I noticed the radioactive warning sign on the door, how had I missed this before? I figured it was probably low-ionizing radiation and went about. They ended up finding nothing in my system and was sent back home with some prescribed pills.

Out of curiosity, I googled online about CT scans, and a warning came up about it about all the risks it posed on a person who takes one. This report scared me shitless:

4p0yvhk6

My particular scan composed of 3 images, which sent off 63 mSv units of radioactivity - this is 3 years worth of radiation exposure within a matter of 45 seconds. I had no idea, and now I have a ever-so-slight risk for cancer. What about you guys? Experienced one of these before in your past?

Quackster

a devbest user says what
Aug 22, 2010
I needed to get my brain scanned and my mum had a choice of either MRI or CAT, MRI was more expensive but was chosen instead because it was more safe (the radiation)

Zeddicus

The Glorious PC Gaming Master Race
Mar 23, 2012
I needed to get my brain scanned and my mum had a choice of either MRI or CAT, MRI was more expensive but was chosen instead because it was more safe (the radiation)

Yeah, a brain CT scan although only emits 2 mSv per scan. It's nothing too much, and it's a 1 in 4000 chance of getting cancer through it. I had my pelvis, abdomen, and lungs checked. I received 20 mSv per scan, and I took 3 scans.

Users who are viewing this thread