How did you learn to code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TesoMayn

Boredom, it vexes me.
Oct 30, 2011
I started with edits of other web scripts, then as I got more interested into it I started to research and did computer programming classes :)

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
[quote="m0nsta., post: 122798, member: 1872"]I didn't learn, I was born with a spontaneous power to code.

Loljk, I was obsessed with making sites in Piczo and loved using those JavaScript codes people posted to allow you to put on your own website and I wanted to make my own. Then I found RaGE-ZONE and was very interested in Habbo and wanted to make my own server.[/quote]

I was about to believe you then.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
I have a little funny story of how I learned. My mom had a fetish with some german cartoon mouse (Diddl?) and had a website. She set this up by herself in Frontpage (using frames n shit). But after I saw her set up (no coding, only a small bit HTML) I got interested in that. I quickly looked on the internet and found a lot HTML tutorials and after learning that, I found CSS, which I could not go around - so I read about this and tried out this too.

My mom also made some GIF animations with glittering, and thats basically how I came in to graphic stuff too. First Paint Shop Pro and then later Fireworks. After that I studied Photoshop after one of my class mates introduced what it could - and no shit, I had absolutely no knowlegde of PS back then. When I learned Photoshop, I used that more than Fireworks - so now I know almost nothing about Fireworks but the basics - lol

So what helped me here was not only my mom, showing me this but I also helped her after what've learned. Now I sit everyday and code random stuff. It might seem boring, but you get into the routine and you know how to do different stuff by just looking at it.

My favorite language has to be HTML & CSS - it's easy to learn and it's also going to be used more and more in the future for applications - not only websites.

Nice story, enjoyed reading that. :p

--
Just played around till something got right, and then started to actually read tutorials and what not. I guess basing from looking at other peoples work isn't always the best, but it helped :D

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
Nice story, enjoyed reading that. :p

--
Just played around till something got right, and then started to actually read tutorials and what not. I guess basing from looking at other peoples work isn't always the best, but it helped :D
Doesn't help me. Was looking at Rev to see how he got info from a config file and it would work.

Kryptos

prjRev.com
Jul 21, 2010
I was in ma crib chillen when ma homegurl kiki sayd 'yo fatass cum c dis shit' & saw sum iframe dat led to a girl-on-girl & was lyk um-hu i want moar of DAT.

And that's how I went from HTML to more complex languages and shit.

JoshB

Jun 3, 2012
Reading UberEmu and try to understand everything, later look on Microsoft's website about C# references etc.. I learn some things just by trying them out, rather than learning what it does by reading a tutorial <3

Sincerely yours,

Josh.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
I was in ma crib chillen when ma homegurl kiki sayd 'yo fatass cum c dis shit' & saw sum iframe dat led to a girl-on-girl & was lyk um-hu i want moar of DAT.

And that's how I went from HTML to more complex languages and shit.
I don't have homegirls :(

Sean

‫‫‫‫‫‫  ‫  Don't Worry, Be Happy
Dec 12, 2011
Started to learn HTML from w3schools last October when I moved to Australia because I had nothing better to do, then I moved onto CSS to add some nice design, now in the middle of learning PHP and JS, and CSS is my most favourite :)

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
You need to do some practical stuff and fingering around with scripts to get yourself familiarised. I suggest you start fingering with ribbonCMS.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
You need to do some practical stuff and fingering around with scripts to get yourself familiarised. I suggest you start fingering with ribbonCMS.
What is it used for? It seems good but I can't find information on just themes, releases and developments.

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
What is it used for? It seems good but I can't find information on just themes, releases and developments.
You can find the download link on ribbonCMS 2.x. It's still available. And the themes and plugins are for developers to get familiarised with the structure of ribbonCMS (Which no one bothered).

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
You can find the download link on ribbonCMS 2.x. It's still available. And the themes and plugins are for developers to get familiarised with the structure of ribbonCMS (Which no one bothered).
Ok but what does it do? Is it like a blogging thing? Or just a normal website?

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
Ok but what does it do? Is it like a blogging thing? Or just a normal website?
It's a non-habbo CMS. It is a multi-purpose script which you can install jBlog, a plugin and it becomes a blog on one end and a different thing on another.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
It's a non-habbo CMS. It is a multi-purpose script which you can install jBlog, a plugin and it becomes a blog on one end and a different thing on another.
I know it's non-habbo. I'm not a massive habbotard. I'll download it anyway.

Joopie

Sep 13, 2011
I was 8/10 or something and my dad was home, and he was coding some shit for his work where I looked what he did etc.
It was so intresting and I asked my dad, can I learn that to?
So he sayed something like: google HTML.
And that's where the story begins.

I learned everything by myself by trying, searching, error and debugging.
So I learned in 7/9 years, HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, C#, Delphi, SQL.
Not that I know everything about those languages but I know the basics and how it works.

Still I like webdeveleping so I like PHP the most of all of them.

Big diffrents by the most people out here...

Dzetki

The Prodigal Son Returns
Jul 16, 2010
I started with HTML and CSS about 3-4 years ago, then went on to PHP about 2 years ago (never started properly until two months ago). I learned through W3schools, googling the stuff I didn't understand, going through others source then php.net was a good help with understanding PHP codes. Other then that I've had good friends helping me out. ;)

Regarding the small amounts of knowledge I have within Java I learned it from tutorials on youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread