How did you learn to code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
Hey guys,

I am bored and really feel like coding some shit. The problem is, I can't.

So I was wondering;

How did you learn? What inspired you? What was the best way for you? Finally, what is your favorite language?

I guess someone at my stage can only answer two of those, so here it goes.

I was inspired by the great work of games such as COD, Fifa, Ect and also how amazing Habbo CMS's looked.

Also my favorite language is PHP as I feel it does most of the work when creating a product.

Thanks!

Nike

#MGK
Jun 9, 2012
I learned about coding from my step-dad who does it for a living. And devbest. I came on devbest as a noob not knowing anything. I learned about it. W3schools.org taught me most everything. My favorite is CSS.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
Ah, nice. What does your Dad do in relation to coding? Also never knew you was a coder. Do you get help from your Dad?

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
My dad is a Vice President at Bank of America (Technology Side), and he gave me some HTML and XML book, which I read like a chapter and said, ok, let's get down to work. So I mainly learned from the book, but then I would ask my dad basic questions. But from there, I used google, and joined DevBest, so that's how I learned. GOOGLE, DEVBEST, DAD, and BOOK!
Favorite Language would probably be Batch if you don't know, then Google it, otherwise it's PHP as my second favorite.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
My dad is a Vice President at Bank of America (Technology Side), and he gave me some HTML and XML book, which I read like a chapter and said, ok, let's get down to work. So I mainly learned from the book, but then I would ask my dad basic questions. But from there, I used google, and joined DevBest, so that's how I learned. GOOGLE, DEVBEST, DAD, and BOOK!
Favorite Language would probably be Batch if you don't know, then Google it, otherwise it's PHP as my second favorite.
Huh. What does batch do?

Tanis

Jan 5, 2011
I learnt mostly from Youtube and the documentation for the different coding languages I know. I started with VB6 when I was 7 (lol VB6). My favourite is Ruby on Rails. Screw PHP, RoR is where it's at bro!

AlexFallen

Developer
Jul 19, 2011
Huh. What does batch do?
Here I'll give you an example.
That's a couple different batch files.
If you have ever been to Home Depot or Lowes, and you look at the register's screen, you will see all black and white, that's a more complex version of batch.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
Wtf? I couldn't say hippopotamus when I was 7, and you was learning to code?

lepos

thinking about you. yes you
Dec 11, 2011
When I started I used to rip (never give it out or put it live or take credits) and tweak, tweak also when I started I started just tweaking and tweaking Habbo CMS's because I am not one to sit for hours on end reading tutorials.

I also got help from a lot of friends, now a days I know my stuff but just ask for tips ;)

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
I have a little funny story of how I learned. My mom had a fetish with some german cartoon mouse (Diddl?) and had a website. She set this up by herself in Frontpage (using frames n shit). But after I saw her set up (no coding, only a small bit HTML) I got interested in that. I quickly looked on the internet and found a lot HTML tutorials and after learning that, I found CSS, which I could not go around - so I read about this and tried out this too.

My mom also made some GIF animations with glittering, and thats basically how I came in to graphic stuff too. First Paint Shop Pro and then later Fireworks. After that I studied Photoshop after one of my class mates introduced what it could - and no shit, I had absolutely no knowlegde of PS back then. When I learned Photoshop, I used that more than Fireworks - so now I know almost nothing about Fireworks but the basics - lol

So what helped me here was not only my mom, showing me this but I also helped her after what've learned. Now I sit everyday and code random stuff. It might seem boring, but you get into the routine and you know how to do different stuff by just looking at it.

My favorite language has to be HTML & CSS - it's easy to learn and it's also going to be used more and more in the future for applications - not only websites.

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
Mozilla has a very good documentation about HTML, CSS, JavaScript and more. Read into this stuff and keep away from w3schools.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
I have a little funny story of how I learned. My mom had a fetish with some german cartoon mouse (Diddl?) and had a website. She set this up by herself in Frontpage (using frames n shit). But after I saw her set up (no coding, only a small bit HTML) I got interested in that. I quickly looked on the internet and found a lot HTML tutorials and after learning that, I found CSS, which I could not go around - so I read about this and tried out this too.

My mom also made some GIF animations with glittering, and thats basically how I came in to graphic stuff too. First Paint Shop Pro and then later Fireworks. After that I studied Photoshop after one of my class mates introduced what it could - and no shit, I had absolutely no knowlegde of PS back then. When I learned Photoshop, I used that more than Fireworks - so now I know almost nothing about Fireworks but the basics - lol

So what helped me here was not only my mom, showing me this but I also helped her after what've learned. Now I sit everyday and code random stuff. It might seem boring, but you get into the routine and you know how to do different stuff by just looking at it.

My favorite language has to be HTML & CSS - it's easy to learn and it's also going to be used more and more in the future for applications - not only websites.
Lol. Nice story. But the best mouse ever is Jerry from Tom & Jerry

Mozilla has a very good documentation about HTML, CSS, JavaScript and more. Read into this stuff and keep away from w3schools.
Where can I find this Mozilla?

M8than

yes
Mar 16, 2012
I have been coding HTML and CSS on and off for 7 years, and well my best accomplishment with this is my school project which won the school first prize on enterprise day. I was up against people using dreamweaver and serif webplus.

My favourite language has got to be PHP I have many projects in php including upload.niffumhost.co.uk, 320mp3.net my latest (this one is helping me learn the OOP portion of php) hab-wave.net amongst others.

The best way to learn is by going through simple php scripts and seeing how they do it to get the syntax etc..., then look up some tutorials. Then when you are going about your own projects, go to php.net to learn some functions you may need.

Qodex

Feb 9, 2012
Hehe, it was like a collectible. People (and I don't mean only children, but also parents n shit) bought and sold this stuff. It was like Pokemon for elders.
Let's have a poke battle! Wait it's a mouse.... ;)

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
I didn't learn, I was born with a spontaneous power to code.

Loljk, I was obsessed with making sites in Piczo and loved using those JavaScript codes people posted to allow you to put on your own website and I wanted to make my own. Then I found RaGE-ZONE and was very interested in Habbo and wanted to make my own server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread