Habboon.pw | #1 English Retro | Active Since 2013

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Christmas timeee, we've gone a little simple this year. Mashed up the hotel view a little with a few of the past years (2012, 2013 & 2015).

Crates will be released soon, along with the Santa bot, waiting to see how the Snowflake currency balances out first.

Christmas 2018:
  • Advent Calendar
  • Daily Badges
  • Daily Snowflakes
  • Hourly Snowflake rewards
  • Hourly Diamond rewards
  • Snowflake Collector achievements.
  • Santa Bot (finds a random user every hour and gives them VIP or another prize substitute).
  • Crate system (gives users 3 crates to open, spawns them around the user in the room they're in and unlocks rares or currency).
  • Staff ran events (lots of them)
  • LMS.

kglvRxt.png

7J1IuQP.png
3Q5GvMN.png

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Hey!

So we've published some changes to our website, this work was very much rushed and was done in the last few days - but it's been intended for a while.

As we believe this could be our last year (potentially with the Flash changes), we've decided to focus the entire website on what has built Habboon for the past 5 years, the community.

A lot of the imagery right now is just mocks / placeholders, getting ready for the articles to kick start this year, we usually average 2 articles a day, so we're trying to promote them a lot more. The website is heavily based around our website analytics and where users stay the most when on the website (exception being the client). I understand this is probably not to everyones taste, though we've had the same style for near on 6 years now, time for something new.

The goal is to help promote in-client communities on the website, we have a very large RP community on Boon and agency community, it'd be nice to help showcase their efforts in some occasion banners and such. Since publishing the hiring banner we've received +150 additional staff apps, thats 650 in total for this period).

There is still a huge amount of changes to be made, the activity feeds and room listing should add some light to some dull areas. I've also to rewrite some of the JS and transition to Vue, just rushed it out as wasn't sure what we wanted. But we finally managed to fix an issue with our Redis cache store on the leaderboards, so that's pretty rapid now.

Still to be done:
  • Forums
  • Wiki
  • Thumbs up on article comments
  • Camera photos direct viewing
  • Room overview
  • Achievement / Badge explanations
  • Group forums on web

OTYMDwn.jpg

0jYheNU.jpg

s6scnPS.jpg

ITfNM0l.jpg

vdCGvKM.jpg

Ol8hxuK.jpg

Thanks!

Haid

Dec 20, 2011
Nice to see a change from the old theme from the biggest retro!

Reading your ethos for the new site here explains it a lot more, browsing it I felt like it was a fansite but in essence that's what you are and showing off more of what your community is doing is a good idea. Only thing I really think is out of place is the news slider in the header since news is available in many other places - perhaps you could simply remove that (or replace it with a small logo) and instead scroll through ROTW winners rooms as the header imagers to show them off?

Nice changes anyway!

Riybo

Dec 1, 2018
Decent features however it looks very messily presented on the site. Change is great now and again though :). Good fortunes on potentially your last year Habboon, you've made a lot of blissful and joyful recollections for a lot of users

BIOS

ಠ‿ಠ
Apr 25, 2012
Didn't know yous use Redis for cache, do you cache the majority of page content (user, stats, leaderboard etc)?

Nice to see you've gotten away from Rev

MayoMayn

BestDev
Oct 18, 2016
Hey!

So we've published some changes to our website, this work was very much rushed and was done in the last few days - but it's been intended for a while.

As we believe this could be our last year (potentially with the Flash changes), we've decided to focus the entire website on what has built Habboon for the past 5 years, the community.

A lot of the imagery right now is just mocks / placeholders, getting ready for the articles to kick start this year, we usually average 2 articles a day, so we're trying to promote them a lot more. The website is heavily based around our website analytics and where users stay the most when on the website (exception being the client). I understand this is probably not to everyones taste, though we've had the same style for near on 6 years now, time for something new.

The goal is to help promote in-client communities on the website, we have a very large RP community on Boon and agency community, it'd be nice to help showcase their efforts in some occasion banners and such. Since publishing the hiring banner we've received +150 additional staff apps, thats 650 in total for this period).

There is still a huge amount of changes to be made, the activity feeds and room listing should add some light to some dull areas. I've also to rewrite some of the JS and transition to Vue, just rushed it out as wasn't sure what we wanted. But we finally managed to fix an issue with our Redis cache store on the leaderboards, so that's pretty rapid now.

Still to be done:
  • Forums
  • Wiki
  • Thumbs up on article comments
  • Camera photos direct viewing
  • Room overview
  • Achievement / Badge explanations
  • Group forums on web

OTYMDwn.jpg

0jYheNU.jpg

s6scnPS.jpg

ITfNM0l.jpg

vdCGvKM.jpg

Ol8hxuK.jpg

Thanks!
Probably should do some sort of pagination for that comment section and/or article section...
Besides that, good job!

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Nice to see a change from the old theme from the biggest retro!

Reading your ethos for the new site here explains it a lot more, browsing it I felt like it was a fansite but in essence that's what you are and showing off more of what your community is doing is a good idea. Only thing I really think is out of place is the news slider in the header since news is available in many other places - perhaps you could simply remove that (or replace it with a small logo) and instead scroll through ROTW winners rooms as the header imagers to show them off?

Nice changes anyway!

Thanks! Yeah, I will admit that the fansite vibe is what I was going for, as they're so community orientated. We initially had a radio on there, which made it look super fansite, but have removed it for the time being.

Yeah, the header may change - the idea is to put up 'The Maze' (100 room+ maze on Boon been updated since 2013) and some other agencies, along with occasional events, just right now we don't have any - they're being made.

The ROTW idea is a good shout though, could be done for each articles - thanks for the feedback, appreciated!

i dont really understand all the animations, seems more useless than anything but a good change overall.

What animations? The carousel scrolling? Or the main header? (Those are the only ones I can think of). Maybe the speeds are too fast, if you're referring to the header, I have plans to mimic Habbos room snap shotting and show live rooms with users in up on the main header. That'll be a fun task.

Decent features however it looks very messily presented on the site. Change is great now and again though :). Good fortunes on potentially your last year Habboon, you've made a lot of blissful and joyful recollections for a lot of users

Thanks! Which areas do you feel are the most messy? As said it was a rush job, and some places have duplicated content (e.g. /me and /community), but as more features/content is made, I'll try to evenly distribute it!

Didn't know yous use Redis for cache, do you cache the majority of page content (user, stats, leaderboard etc)?

Nice to see you've gotten away from Rev

Yeah! We've been using Laravel since early 2016 I think. Caching is a must for the leaderboards, we cache the user count aswell (I just think it's a useless query for each user to show a user count each time). The top article comments are also cached, I'll be aiming to do more once we get to the optimisation point of things!

The leaderboards is pretty beefy, each stat checks for users who have been active for the past 30 days, are not banned and are not staff. (It caches a timestamp everyday, so the query is unique for the cache store.

The beefiest is this query, due to historic abuse with giving out badges (by this I mean, at-least > 30 ex-staff have 400-1800 badges), we've had to run some checks for the badge leaderboard, so we build an array of allowed badges where there are over 200 of that badge in the hotel, then we run the three mention checks and include those.

Ef44YBr.png

Cheers.

Probably should do some sort of pagination for that comment section and/or article section...
Besides that, good job!

Yeah, good shout! I'll do that tonight, I'll probably display 5 or so then a load more button, and thank you! :p

Laynester

a bad bitch
Nov 7, 2018
Thanks! Yeah, I will admit that the fansite vibe is what I was going for, as they're so community orientated. We initially had a radio on there, which made it look super fansite, but have removed it for the time being.

Yeah, the header may change - the idea is to put up 'The Maze' (100 room+ maze on Boon been updated since 2013) and some other agencies, along with occasional events, just right now we don't have any - they're being made.

The ROTW idea is a good shout though, could be done for each articles - thanks for the feedback, appreciated!

What animations? The carousel scrolling? Or the main header? (Those are the only ones I can think of). Maybe the speeds are too fast, if you're referring to the header, I have plans to mimic Habbos room snap shotting and show live rooms with users in up on the main header. That'll be a fun task.

Thanks! Which areas do you feel are the most messy? As said it was a rush job, and some places have duplicated content (e.g. /me and /community), but as more features/content is made, I'll try to evenly distribute it!

Yeah! We've been using Laravel since early 2016 I think. Caching is a must for the leaderboards, we cache the user count aswell (I just think it's a useless query for each user to show a user count each time). The top article comments are also cached, I'll be aiming to do more once we get to the optimisation point of things!

The leaderboards is pretty beefy, each stat checks for users who have been active for the past 30 days, are not banned and are not staff. (It caches a timestamp everyday, so the query is unique for the cache store.

The beefiest is this query, due to historic abuse with giving out badges (by this I mean, at-least > 30 ex-staff have 400-1800 badges), we've had to run some checks for the badge leaderboard, so we build an array of allowed badges where there are over 200 of that badge in the hotel, then we run the three mention checks and include those.

Ef44YBr.png

Cheers.

Yeah, good shout! I'll do that tonight, I'll probably display 5 or so then a load more button, and thank you! :p
The carousel scrolling on the photos is a bit fast yeah, and the scrolling on the staff page seems a bit useless

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
damn that looks crazy, gonna be a sad day when boon closes

Hey! Thanks, good to see you're still around. :p

---

Nothing new happened over the weekend, however today we decided to rebuild our database a little. We've changed all the IDs for our catalog_items, catalog_pages, furniture & items table. Took some doing, but couple hours later and almost 500,000,000 million records have been updated. We now have a nice and tidy list of numbers! On the downside, our items table is now 40 GB. :<

We also took the time to work on some other optimisation and plan out what we're going to do once we move hosts.

Sledmore

Chaturbate Livestreamer
Staff member
FindRetros Moderator
Jul 24, 2010
Actually, we have finally decided to make the move to web sockets. We've already been running the staff client on a private web socket server, but we've now decided to expand that a little and the staff just simply run on a private channel, the front end of the site not much is influenced by sockets other than the user count.

In client however, we're trialing hotel alerts via web sockets instead of using the in-client alerts. Probably going to go a little stupid and run a few things on the site via sockets, we have a live room page that is in tests, but needs more work. We've also began working on a livefeed, just for fun really.

Last edited:

HarmonicRain

NextGenHabbo.com
Jun 27, 2012
Actually, we have finally decided to make the move to web sockets. We've already been running the staff client on a private web socket server, but we've now decided to expand that a little and the staff just simply run on a private channel, the front end of the site not much is influenced by sockets other than the user count.

In client however, we're trialing hotel alerts via web sockets instead of using the in-client alerts. Probably going to go a little stupid and run a few things on the site via sockets, we have a live room page that is in tests, but needs more work. We've also began working on a livefeed, just for fun really.

Been tweaking with this myself, as RP players dont seem to live event alerts. My upcoming solution is to bring back this:
You must be registered for see images attach

with a bubblealert that shows in rooms when a new event is taking place.

Users who are viewing this thread