Getting started with HTML.

Korey

Jan 7, 2014
Okay so uhm my name is Korey as you can tell by my forum account, and I'm fourteen, freshman in High-School, which is equivalent to year 9 in the UK. Most people have told me that they started around my age, and even younger learning how to code. Alot of people say they learned from just looking at code frequently, but that doesn't seem to be working for me. What are some resources as in websites, tutorials, and stuff like that (which could help me learn to code HTML, and then later PHP). Honestly I'm even willing to pay for lessons online with one of you guys if you're like REALLY REALLY GOOD, and won't charge me out of the ass for lessons. This is something I would really like to learn how to do and It would be very beneficial for me to learn. I mean even if you could just leave a reply about how you got started, and learn to code HTML that would be helpful. Please just get back to me as soon as possible if you can offer any help, or resources regarding this topic.

Last edited:

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
HTML you're probably better off with w3schools.com but don't take everything literally on there, their guidelines aren't always the best. See what they say, then visit other websites and see what they say and compare the pros and cons.

For PHP, I'd recommend phpacademy on YouTube.

Korey

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks guys I will be using W3schools.com
~How long do you think it will take me before I'm able to make simple websites from html?

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks guys I will be using W3schools.com
~How long do you think it will take me before I'm able to make simple websites from html?
Time shouldn't matter. Don't rush your learning just go at your own pace and keep going over what certain attributes do - be sure to validate your code as well to keep it well, valid. Like Mark said, don't copy w3schools word for word, they aren't most up to date and reliable but they're great to get the ball rolling. Also, any problems just post on here (other forums are available) and we can give some advice.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
I have actually been thinking about making a really basic how to make a website tutorial video... anyway back on track I'd recommend code academy.

Doge

Jan 12, 2012
I've done html for about 6 years, but I did the slow method when it come to learning it as I just downloaded templates and learnt how to edit them, I then started to code my own. about 3-4 years after I got into Bootstrap (Twitter) and it makes it a lot easier and a lot less time consuming when making a website. When making one 'professionally' I don't use anything from Bootstrap other than the grid so I can make it responsive easier.

What's peoples opinions on Bootstrap grid usage? Is it 'cheating' ?

I started to do PHP about 3 years ago and now at work I have to use MVC frameworks such as Zend 2, which requires a lot of OOP PHP. If you are looking to learn PHP, start off procedurally then look at creating an MVC. A good website for learning PHP IMO is phpacademy.org.

Magic

Posting Freak
Oct 11, 2012
I've done html for about 6 years, but I did the slow method when it come to learning it as I just downloaded templates and learnt how to edit them, I then started to code my own. about 3-4 years after I got into Bootstrap (Twitter) and it makes it a lot easier and a lot less time consuming when making a website. When making one 'professionally' I don't use anything from Bootstrap other than the grid so I can make it responsive easier.

I started to do PHP about 3 years ago and now at work I have to use MVC frameworks such as Zend 2, which requires a lot of OOP PHP. If you are looking to learn PHP, start off procedurally then look at creating an MVC. A good website for learning PHP IMO is phpacademy.org.
I just code them responsively by hand. I might go for a grid system sometime though. It's not really cheating.. it's just optimizing your time.

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012

The thing with bootstrap is, it's not primarily aimed at front-end developers, more for back-end people who are wanting to save time on the look and feel of their site and want to focus more on the system itself. It's not cheating at all, I mean if a resource is there to speed up productivity then why not go for it?

Personally though, I like to keep to my own code as when it comes to editing it, I know where everything is and I can jump straight to it, rather than having to get a feel of external code. I'd also say it's quite lazy if you're a web designer and you're using Bootstrap without altering it quite heavily - for example, more than just a few color changes.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I'd stay away from Bootstrap as of now (if you are looking to do front-end) as it's most likely to make you lazy as apposed to increase your knowledge.

Doge

Jan 12, 2012
The thing with bootstrap is, it's not primarily aimed at front-end developers, more for back-end people who are wanting to save time on the look and feel of their site and want to focus more on the system itself. It's not cheating at all, I mean if a resource is there to speed up productivity then why not go for it?

Personally though, I like to keep to my own code as when it comes to editing it, I know where everything is and I can jump straight to it, rather than having to get a feel of external code. I'd also say it's quite lazy if you're a web designer and you're using Bootstrap without altering it quite heavily - for example, more than just a few color changes.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I'd stay away from Bootstrap as of now (if you are looking to do front-end) as it's most likely to make you lazy as apposed to increase your knowledge.
Yeah I agree with you and Magic. Like I said I only really use the grid, and I'm more of a backend developer to be honest, we're working on a project at work and I've been put on the back end.

Back to cheating, it just annoys me a little when I use the grid system and maybe bootstrap buttons (customised) and make a pretty looking website and then someone else comes along, says it's cheating, and then attempts to create their own website which doesn't look as good. Well, it's quite funny, really.

JayC

Always Learning
Aug 8, 2013
I would recommend W3 schools but also play around with it yourself. W3 schools provides tutorials step by step easy to understand and follow along with. DO NOT Just read and think you understand. Imitate. Comment. Go through line by line with what it does (This helped me learn parts of java and visual basic) MAKE SURE. and I repeat. MAKE SURE that you are doing HTML BEFORE you do CSS and CSS before PHP.

Doge

Jan 12, 2012
I would recommend W3 schools but also play around with it yourself. W3 schools provides tutorials step by step easy to understand and follow along with. DO NOT Just read and think you understand. Imitate. Comment. Go through line by line with what it does (This helped me learn parts of java and visual basic) MAKE SURE. and I repeat. MAKE SURE that you are doing HTML BEFORE you do CSS and CSS before PHP.
Due to the release of PHP5.5, half of the PHP on W3schools is probably deprecated.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
I just looked at code, and eventually it just came to me. However if you must, w3schools is pretty decent at it...or CodeAcademy (whatever it is). Referring to the post above about using Bootstrap for responsiveness that's actually a good idea because I cannot code responsive designs for shit tbh

Jian

Resident Weeb
Contributor
Sep 2, 2011
I just looked at code, and eventually it just came to me. However if you must, w3schools is pretty decent at it...or CodeAcademy (whatever it is). Referring to the post above about using Bootstrap for responsiveness that's actually a good idea because I cannot code responsive designs for shit tbh
Media sorting and using percentage values in CSS.

Users who are viewing this thread