Future for Retros - What's to come?

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
I think most will just resort to HTML5 I’m aware of 1 project that’s pretty much done this already called “Nitro” it doesn’t look much different

Owen

Mar 20, 2013
Going to be interesting to see what the top retros come up with in regards to it all.

There are options out there, I wouldn't say its the end of retros for good. Some will go, some will stay.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
Going to be interesting to see what the top retros come up with in regards to it all.

There are options out there, I wouldn't say its the end of retros for good. Some will go, some will stay.
You're right here, the ones who want to stay and are willing to work to adapt to the change will stay. Warning is no excuse, everyone seen this coming way beforehand.

I guess the retro's who wanna keep running their retro's via a browser with Flash built in will stay to. But the way Nitro is moving, I doubt "many" people are going to want are going to take this route.

Roper

Ancient Member
Jul 4, 2010
HTML5 will be the way forward with Habbo retros for sure. Nitro is being developed theres another project called Holo5 too - which looks even better than the real Habbo beta!

From what I understand, Nitro Client is compatible with Arcturus Morningstar so should be fairly simple for retros to switch over. I can see developers being greedy and charging for this stuff though ir I'm honest.

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
HTML5 will be the way forward with Habbo retros for sure. Nitro is being developed theres another project called Holo5 too - which looks even better than the real Habbo beta!

From what I understand, Nitro Client is compatible with Arcturus Morningstar so should be fairly simple for retros to switch over. I can see developers being greedy and charging for this stuff though ir I'm honest.
I checked out one of Nitro's betas and they're progressing so quickly. I think it's going to be open source?

Laporte

Dec 1, 2020
This thread is stupid. Its the most retarded thread ive seen. Habbo wont close, Retros are dying but they'll be nothing but up-growth. Maybe im being optimistic but lets be real. If Sulake is making ways to make Habbo work then they're happy.

Boon doesnt deserve the traction it has nothing against its developers but its only been recently they've been updating on a large scale. Customs werent a thing until recently. Not to point out they've killed a already dying eco community. Im not saying the small retros Like Zabbo or any others deserve the top spot but neither does Boon. Retros need a re-make on a whole.

Anyone thats still annoyed that retros are rivalling Habbo are idiots in themselves.

One thing I dont understand is why Sulake/Habbo wont market their game as retros do? Why sell Coins if you can sell VIP like retros do? Why not steal the recipe that retros use? Not to mention they'll be able to do it on a grand scale... They have the resources to make it work.. They could easily phase out of the coin market they're in and move into a '' New Habbo ''

Retros death is down the the stale nature of both Habbo & Retros. Habbo wont change and big retros wont change too much from what works (I.E Boon & Fresh)

LouisJW

May 20, 2020
This thread is stupid. Its the most retarded thread ive seen. Habbo wont close, Retros are dying but they'll be nothing but up-growth. Maybe im being optimistic but lets be real. If Sulake is making ways to make Habbo work then they're happy.

Boon doesnt deserve the traction it has nothing against its developers but its only been recently they've been updating on a large scale. Customs werent a thing until recently. Not to point out they've killed a already dying eco community. Im not saying the small retros Like Zabbo or any others deserve the top spot but neither does Boon. Retros need a re-make on a whole.

Anyone thats still annoyed that retros are rivalling Habbo are idiots in themselves.

One thing I dont understand is why Sulake/Habbo wont market their game as retros do? Why sell Coins if you can sell VIP like retros do? Why not steal the recipe that retros use? Not to mention they'll be able to do it on a grand scale... They have the resources to make it work.. They could easily phase out of the coin market they're in and move into a '' New Habbo ''

Retros death is down the the stale nature of both Habbo & Retros. Habbo wont change and big retros wont change too much from what works (I.E Boon & Fresh)

Calling this thread stupid is silly.

this thread was made solely to hear different views & what other people thought, just like you who finds it "stupid".
Opinions differ and of course, you're entitled to yours but everyone has different viewpoints so where maybe you find it "stupid" others don't/may not.

Maybe you're not aware one of the bigger projects in progress is "Nitro" an HTML5 client that is A LOT faster and better in many ways than what we see from retros today.

A lot of things will be different when this is 100% complete, UI being a big thing that isn't going to be nearly the same. I already said about the speed difference above,
I was on "HabboRW during a beta they had to test this client & honestly there's very little to 0 lag (A lot of others think so too.)

You could've worded yourself better rather than just "this is stupid "worst thread ever" fortunately everyone else is not you. (No offense)

Parsov

May 18, 2016
I mean as soon as Habbo makes the new beta client open for users. I doubt it'll last 2 months till someone finds a solution to use it for retros.
It wont last long and using something like Nitro is good but I'm not quite sure it'll be done with proper professional effort that's 1. and 2. I don't know if everything will be up to pace with what Habbo does. Although I've seen some weird bugs & things Sulake has for their new 2020 Client. I bet there will be even bigger issues / bugs for Nitro though. Also I think since this is a Private server community it's a better approach to just rip rather than wasting time and making a client from nothing all that effort put in you could just open a game almost like Habbo and have your own game.
Post automatically merged:

It will be compatible with any server you make. You just need to change a few things. Surely they didn't go ahead and completely change the structure of the entire Habbo Client. The Structure is the same (I hope) that's why it will still work after doing a few touches.

By the way Habbo is keeping the structure the same too. Otherwise that would actually require them to change everything. Which is too much time and effort. So with a few touches to your server and client you could make the New Habbo Unity client work for your hotel too.

Last edited:

CosmoPeak

PeakRP.com
May 15, 2016

I agree with some of your post, but Boon 100% deserves its popularity. It is the most stable hotel, and has stayed around for years. This is probably one of the most important things about a retro, and the popularity of the hotel reflects that. Most other retros aren't really doing anything that groundbreaking in comparison from what I've seen. The developers at Habboon have also contributed massively to the community, releasing their emulator server, and providing guidance on the forums about difficult and important topics. They deserve a lot of credit in my opinion.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
I think the past few weeks have shown the retro community is starting to outgrow Sulake, as in, there will be a point not far in the future where retro's are no longer dependant on Sulake. With the retro community mostly going in the (modern) way of HTML5, and Sulake having huge issues with Unity and a backlash of the agitated community, retro's are actually targeting the wishes of the people who play games like Habbo.

With them no longer being dependant on the creation of the client, we're probably also going to see much more diverse retro's. People can now actually way more easily adjust the client to the liking of their users, and implement new functionality that even Sulake doesn't have (and I'm not just talking simple commands and stuff). Nitro truly belongs to the ranks of the greats who started a long-lasting revolution in the scene. If the retro community is already ahead of Sulake, just imagine what more is to come.

I haven't been active in the retro community for years, but Nitro surely got me back into keeping myself up to date about the developments. Even for people who don't play this game, this is interesting to see how it's going to work out.

This is mere speculation, but I also had the feeling that that new game being made by the old "President of Habbo.com" uses Nitro as an engine - Nitro could even become a new backbone for creating HTML5 games.

I'm hyped, and honestly happy to see that this community is so strong, it always manages to provide some really good developers who come with a huge breakthrough and are able to boost the community once more. Even though the amount might be small, I do think events like this will bring more and more people to technology. Speaking for myself, I probably never would have ended up in Software Engineering if it wasn't for retro's.

Maatt

Aug 29, 2012
Yes but we still use of all Habbo’s assets. There is a distinct lack of artistic creativity on the scene so things cannot outpace Sulake at the moment really.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Yes but we still use of all Habbo’s assets. There is a distinct lack of artistic creativity on the scene so things cannot outpace Sulake at the moment really.
Not with that attitude, no. But people also probably didn't imagine there would be a proper working HTML5 client, it just takes one person to start the change.

Maatt

Aug 29, 2012
Fact is I can see about 100 hotels all using the same stuff. There is no creative input. So once there’s no big Habbo to leach off quality will suffer.

Billsonnn

developer
Jun 19, 2011
I think the past few weeks have shown the retro community is starting to outgrow Sulake, as in, there will be a point not far in the future where retro's are no longer dependant on Sulake. With the retro community mostly going in the (modern) way of HTML5, and Sulake having huge issues with Unity and a backlash of the agitated community, retro's are actually targeting the wishes of the people who play games like Habbo.

With them no longer being dependant on the creation of the client, we're probably also going to see much more diverse retro's. People can now actually way more easily adjust the client to the liking of their users, and implement new functionality that even Sulake doesn't have (and I'm not just talking simple commands and stuff). Nitro truly belongs to the ranks of the greats who started a long-lasting revolution in the scene. If the retro community is already ahead of Sulake, just imagine what more is to come.

I haven't been active in the retro community for years, but Nitro surely got me back into keeping myself up to date about the developments. Even for people who don't play this game, this is interesting to see how it's going to work out.

This is mere speculation, but I also had the feeling that that new game being made by the old "President of Habbo.com" uses Nitro as an engine - Nitro could even become a new backbone for creating HTML5 games.

I'm hyped, and honestly happy to see that this community is so strong, it always manages to provide some really good developers who come with a huge breakthrough and are able to boost the community once more. Even though the amount might be small, I do think events like this will bring more and more people to technology. Speaking for myself, I probably never would have ended up in Software Engineering if it wasn't for retro's.

Thanks for the kind words! Nitro has been in the works for well over a year. I do think it will go in the books as one of the most significant releases our community has ever had.

Bran

mediocre graphics artist
Mar 13, 2017
well i think they already have 'outpaced' sulake, considering habbo is burning, it's buggy as fuck it's like they've not done NO testing what's so ever.. as for the lack of artistic creativity just look at habbox a french retro, they have furni made from scratch drawn by incredibly talented pixel artists on there, sure habbo was the base but half of habbo's community are going onto retros now🤷🏼‍♂️

doe

Jan 29, 2021
I'm hyped, and honestly happy to see that this community is so strong, it always manages to provide some really good developers who come with a huge breakthrough and are able to boost the community once more.
i'm 100% with your opinion. In this case I can only talk for me but Nitro gave me some of the spirit that I used to have back in the glory days of the retro scene and now I got inspired to develop my own room engine (just for learning purpose).

There not many but there a few people that keep getting this scene up. With a fully implemented HTML5 Client we're save that this scene will live forever. There will be always people continue developing this game and there will always a community that using this technology and playing this game. Now we got shroom we're everyone can contribute to the open source scene. Amazing!

Idk if there people knowing battlefield heroes. as a example this game got closed a few years ago and this game got very late private servers and they running pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread