Don't let non-staff members be able to limit their profile.

PousseyWashington

why did I buy an upgrade
Apr 29, 2014
It's super annoying to try to view a person's profile and not be able to.

There's multiple reasons why having access to people's profiles are beneficial.
  • You can see username changes.
  • You can see all posts/threads made by a user, useful for judging reliability of someone.
  • You can see basic information (e.g. birthday, join date, location, etc).

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
And some people don't wish other's to see this. You don't need that information for your experience on the forum to be different.

PousseyWashington

why did I buy an upgrade
Apr 29, 2014
And some people don't wish other's to see this. You don't need that information for your experience on the forum to be different.
People's basic details, posts, warnings, and username changes should be public information. Since this forum involves personal discussions, I would say that hiding your profile does impact the forum experience.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
You can see username changes.
This is the only thing I can agree on - however it can be found out easily who it is. Most of the time they have the same avatar or something, or they said who they are in a thread, or in the shoutbox.

You can see all posts/threads made by a user, useful for judging reliability of someone.
And you can search on a username within the search function on top of the page. Does not matter at all.

You can see basic information (e.g. birthday, join date, location, etc).
So you can judge them on birthday, country or join date? 2 of those are even displayed in a persons reply (country, join date, messages, rank, likes received, etc)

So, I really don't get your point.

PousseyWashington

why did I buy an upgrade
Apr 29, 2014
You can see all posts/threads made by a user, useful for judging reliability of someone.
And you can search on a username within the search function on top of the page. Does not matter at all.
Searching for things posted by certain members only returns a few of their posts.

You can see basic information (e.g. birthday, join date, location, etc).
So you can judge them on birthday, country or join date? 2 of those are even displayed in a persons reply (country, join date, messages, rank, likes received, etc)
That wasn't a major reason why I suggested this. I didn't say that you should judge them on their birthday, country or join date, I meant that it would be useful to have.

You also ignored this statement.
People's basic details, posts, warnings, and username changes should be public information. Since this forum involves personal discussions, I would say that hiding your profile does impact the forum experience.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011
Searching for things posted by certain members only returns a few of their posts.

That wasn't a major reason why I suggested this. I didn't say that you should judge them on their birthday, country or join date, I meant that it would be useful to have.

You also ignored this statement.
Show me a forum where personal discussions happen - this is a public forum, everyone is able to reply. The only reason to need someone's information such as birthday, warnings, etc is to either make fun of them or something else. You don't need such information to have a discussion based on the information given in the thread. Anything outside the thread you want to include in the "personal discussion" in a PUBLIC thread is off-topic. So no, I did not ignore it, my statement "So, I don't really get your point." covered it all.

Users who are viewing this thread