Show DevBest DigitalCam.co.uk | an Amazon Afilliate website dedicated on Camera & Accessories

Sly

I don't break the rules I bend them.
Oct 28, 2016
If he sends 1 person to amazon it creates a 24 hour cookie which he gets 4% - 8% revenue from any purchased item. One successful YouTube video at 100,000 views (which is a lot easier than you think in a technology niche) would be 2,000 potential buyers sent to his site and ultimately sent to amazon all looking for products over $100. Affiliate sites aren't made to replace Amazon, they're made to create more traffic for amazon. What does Amazon care if they're paying 4% - 8% for it?

You're a lot more savvy than the average consumer @Wess. I'd say a majority of econsumers don't think of the inner workings of ecommerce based on the way your analysis is laid out. Good developer perspective, not a good consumer perspective. If people are looking for something (even camera information) and he has it, he's achieving the purpose of his site.

@Sly I wouldn't turn the website offline if I were you because there's literally no reason to. You're not appealing to an audience right now, so whats the difference if you leave it online or not?
What a great view dranbon, you're one of the people on Devbest who actually thinks realistic. @Wess doesn't know about affiliate marketing like you do so I don't expect him to understand you. So I'm with you 100% this dranbon

I agree with Wess's facts about the overall design of the website as it does have some flaws that make it look unappealing. I'd also say it is a great idea to take the website out of a public view as honestly if someone was to see it now they would be gone and they would not be returning anytime soon. Everything in this day and age is judged and created mainly with the thought of looks alone. Books, ads, newspapers, and just the news itself is a prime example. If you see something eye-catching you may stick around. If you see something ugly and offputting you won't be sticking around.

For example, the first picture in most cases will be more offputting and not wanted compared to the second. Both are an apple, but one is much more pleasant.
RottenApple2chk247.jpg8d33e5e5-9d97-41a5-bf47-63b1c45af509Original.jpg

RedApple.jpg
Well luckily for me my website design is new and awesome. :)

I know how the affiliate program works. Please read my post thoroughly.

Developer perspective? I'm looking at it from the eyes of an consumer. If I don't like a website, I'll bounce. If it looks sketchy/unprofessional, I'll bounce. Every customer does this. It has nothing to do with being a developer. An attractive website with clear functionality attracts customers.

No reason to turn his website offline? It is filled with dummy content. Everyone that comes across his website now will never return because it is not appealing and not working. So yes, there is a difference. Don't give incorrect information.
You have a point about turning the website offline while creating it, so I have only purpose is that my website isn't fully active yet and there is no reason for people to go on it. :)

JynX

Posting Freak
Feb 6, 2016
What a great view dranbon, you're one of the people on Devbest who actually thinks realistic. @Wess doesn't know about affiliate marketing like you do so I don't expect him to understand you. So I'm with you 100% this dranbon

That made me laugh. Based off his opinions you instantly assume that he is some professional at affiliate marketing, but someone giving you feedback and facts that could help you down the road they are just nothing and their feedback doesn't matter? Interesting..

Sly

Oct 28, 2016
That made me laugh. Based off his opinions you instantly assume that he is some professional at affiliate marketing, but someone giving you feedback and facts that could help you down the road they are just nothing and their feedback doesn't matter? Interesting..
Nope, but he is someone who has had an affiliate website that was a success. And yes it does that's why I listened and turned my website offline in the meantime... and next time edit, I will review this thread to get ideas

Feb 27, 2013
I'm not a professional by any means, I just have experience working on a project like this and know what it feels like to have everybody point out the flaws but never mention anything GOOD about the website. Half of these people have never started an eCommerce website so they have no clue what generates sales and the other half probably doesn't even own a DSLR.

I probably would have never quit had I shared my idea and people had supported me. I just got tired of everyone telling me I'll never make serious money stopped working on my site. Eventually the traffic stopped and there was no revenue. Had someone told me to smarten the fuck up and not listen to anyone, I'd probably still have it to this day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sly

Oct 28, 2016
I'm not a professional by any means, I just have experience working on a project like this and know what it feels like to have everybody point out the flaws but never mention anything GOOD about the website. Half of these people have never started an eCommerce website so they have no clue what generates sales and the other half probably doesn't even own a DSLR.

I probably would have never quit had I shared my idea and people had supported me. I just got tired of everyone telling me I'll never make serious money stopped working on my site. Eventually the traffic stopped and there was no revenue. Had someone told me to smarten the fuck up and not listen to anyone, I'd probably still have it to this day.
Thank you @dranbon I will surely look those up. ;) It's never too late dranbon you can make it again only difference would be this time the website will be stronger and better, trial & error makes everything perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sly

Oct 28, 2016
So your website's value proposition is that you dedicate it to digital cameras where as in amazon I'd have to use a dropdown box to select "Cameras"? oh boy.

Keep thinking of something better. Nothing here is proprietary nor worthy of a consumers time. ROI is low. Prove me otherwise if you can, but if you continue down this business model then I doubt you will.

You have no partnerships, no proof of validity. etc.
2 years you're going to stick out on a generic website? What a waste of time.

Why would I listen to your advce vs MKHBD or LinusTechTips. They know more than you. And searching a review from them is more worth my time then reading anything you write. Proving otherwise will take a long time. Linus and Marcus have spent a long time proving their knowledge on reviews, it will take you as long too.

Unlike others I don't wish you luck. I truly hope this fails as fast as possible so you can find a new business idea. The business' that drag on for a long time barely scraping by are the worst. I'm excited to hear a new entre idea from you, but this is crap. You can do something better, I know you can. So play with this for a month or better yet scrap it now and move onto another idea.
Now you're just hating on the website, I never said this is an overnight thing. I will work on my website even if it takes 5 years to get a single sale, that's how dedicated I am.

Feb 27, 2013
Great, then I can say with confidence that you're a moron.
Lol, your negativity isn't helping anything. I don't even know why you'd comment such a pessimistic remark.

Can you show us your amazing niche that you jumped into head first and immediately had success with? Or can you even point out a profitable niche? Obviously there are things wrong with the site, it's his job to fix them and make his site ideal for his visitors. That's the whole point of affiliate marketing and if he never starts he's never going to learn how to do that.

Weasel

👄 I'd intercept me
Nov 25, 2011

You have a point about turning the website offline while creating it, so I have only purpose is that my website isn't fully active yet and there is no reason for people to go on it. :)
1. If anything, he's the least realistic here. Not counting a few persons, everyone here is wishing you luck on succeeding but giving you constructive feedback. Just because he's giving you things you want to hear, doesn't make him realistic at all. And oh shit, I didn't know you know who I am and what I did. Nice assumption you made there. So because I'm saying things you don't like to hear I have no experience? Actually, I do. And I know more about it than you think.

2. Well sadly for you, it isn't. And you're going to lose customers because of your design, because it looks sketchy, and if anything will confuse the customer based on it's unclear functionality.

Multiple people have been supportive of his project. Nobody is telling him he can't do it. Just because we give constructive feedback doesn't mean we want him to fail. Getting positive remarks might be good for your ego and nice to hear, but they aren't productive in a sense of that they will actually help improve the site. And whatever you say, an ugly website will not generate sales in any way.

And not listening to what people say at all is stupid as hell. There's a difference between people telling you, you can't do something (in most cases, yes, don't listen to that) but in almost every other case, take it in to consideration. You can't compare the feedback given in this thread to saying he should stop.

Sly

Oct 28, 2016
@Wess, and I do respect each and every one of you for the support, however the website is still new and with trial and error I will find the sweet spot that makes my website work & unique. Again thank you for your comment.

Users who are viewing this thread