Database help? XAMP on Mac

funkystrainz

Oct 12, 2016
Yo,

I really want to be able to connect to MySQL. This is the 3rd and final post I will make asking for help with the proper set up and documentation of a MySQL server. With the first installation, I hadn't set any locations for any kind of storage for files to be uploaded/saved to, the default files were just installed to different places assigned by my computer. There were also a few more failed attempts, which resulted in a symlink error, that I fixed and no longer have as an issue. Now, however, I've installed those files in new places, written in base/data dirs, updated that information in my other configuration files & have existing file storage created in the path that I've configured. There are a few ways I can almost get the server to start, but it always ends up in one of 3 errors:

-The abundance of symlinks from previous installs; which I've solved
-Failed to update pid file; which doesn't seem to work on its own, and can't seem to be located so I can place it in the directory i've configured along with my username.local err.
-Most often recurring/Recently replaced with a lock.sock i need permissions for: unable to connect through tmp/sock.

I'm not sure what else I have to do before I'm able to move on. I've just been able to access root@localhost with the temporarily assigned password. I've been reading a lot of posts related to bug fixes/packet structures/redirection issues/editing cms content that I'm unable to begin experimenting with because I'm having database trouble. I have info to store in .sql charts that I'm unable to execute. I can't create or install any new databases. And I can't connect to the MySQL server and begin to import valuable information into phpMyAdmin.

I'm currently operating off of an XAMP server that is set up to my localhost, that I'd like to be able to connect to via MySQL.

If anyone can reply with a fix, PM me and guide me through this stage, or teamviewer me & at least take a look at what my set up is like, where my files are/paths lead to, and offer MySQL/phpMyAdmin specific advice, It would be highly appreciated

Last edited:

funkystrainz

Oct 12, 2016
A few people have said I need a VPS, but I'm not sure what for. It may be another method to explore. Wouldn't I need a domain name to configure to the server that my system is already capable of deploying; as my localhost exists with XAMP as the server platform? I updated the post, since it was specifying issues that aren't related to the help I'm asking for. I'll add you on skype either way & hopefully I'll be able to figure this out.

funkystrainz

Oct 12, 2016
try installing mysql manually from the website?
there is an option for mac users
That almost sums up the conclusion to the session @dentercowo and I had over teamviewer. I will be moving onward from threads of this kind/surrounding this topic and will be looking to begin figuring out how configure the client to the server, add different/newer .swfs and assure that said .swfs are in accordance with that of the emulator I will be using, on the server i'm currently, or the dev/vp server i will soon be, operating on.

funkystrainz

Oct 12, 2016
Why not just use Mamp?
Most of the tutorials I've seen are geared towards XAMP users, mainly ones who are using PC, with some steps that still apply to people who use Mac. What would MAMP provide additionally as a platform that XAMP doesn't? I think I may have read that I would need a development server to be able to host a client on the web, even just as a testing environment. But I'm comfortable with the access I have to my database through my current set up, and would like to be able to run the game from this server, and eventually host it on the web when I'm more familiar with how the system works and have acquired a domain name & URLs that point to the web.

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Most of the tutorials I've seen are geared towards XAMP users, mainly ones who are using PC, with some steps that still apply to people who use Mac. What would MAMP provide additionally as a platform that XAMP doesn't? I think I may have read that I would need a development server to be able to host a client on the web, even just as a testing environment. But I'm comfortable with the access I have to my database through my current set up, and would like to be able to run the game from this server, and eventually host it on the web when I'm more familiar with how the system works and have acquired a domain name & URLs that point to the web.
MAMP is geared towards Mac users and uses NGINX web server.

Reading is great and all, and nice little essay but I do not have any interest in what you do in the future, MAMP for Mac systems, NGINX or Litespeed for Linux, and IIS (sadly) for Windows

funkystrainz

Oct 12, 2016
Well then I likely won't be taking your suggestion, as I have no interest in abandoning my current, functional environment to go out on a whim with something I'm not familiar with at all. So I appreciate the MAMP recommendation, and I already have it downloaded, as well as Nginx, but I'm going to continue to build on what I have so far.

Well then I likely won't be taking your suggestion, as I have no interest in abandoning my current, functional environment to go out on a whim with something I'm not familiar with at all. So I appreciate the MAMP recommendation, and I already have it downloaded, as well as Nginx, but I'm going to continue to build on what I have so far.
@Leader

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013

@Leader
Xampp is literally for people in 2009 who openly wanted to be exploited. It's decent as a development server but even then it's bad

funkystrainz

Oct 12, 2016
Xampp is literally for people in 2009 who openly wanted to be exploited. It's decent as a development server but even then it's bad
What more control would I have over the flexibility of my security settings in MAMP, that you are recommending, as opposed to XAMP? And where could I host a server with more control over the protection of it?

Users who are viewing this thread