Introduction Coding & RastaLulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
GOD Rama some people just aint cut out for coding im 13 and I have probably achieved more than you have
What a down-right ignorant and obnoxious post that was. It doesn't matter how old you are when you learn to code.

And it entirely depends on what you want to go into. Do you want to make websites, applications, apps for mobile phones? Etc.
With websites I'd get to grips with HTML5, CSS and JavaScript. Then learn PHP. I used to open other website's source codes and try and logically work out what each thing does, if I was unsure on what something was/does I would research it on W3Schools.
For programming, don't just do what Absterge said and do C, it depends what aspect of programming you want to go into and what stuff you'd like to make/do. However if you learn C, you can pretty much master C#, C++, Java etc
With mobile apps I'd recommend Xcode or whatever you use to code Android apps and so on.

I've been coding since I was about 11 and still love it. I love to be able to create almost anything I want and enjoy making it easier for people when I release something; I enjoy their feedback whether it be positive or negative.

If you do decide to venture into PHP programming, I'd definitely suggest looking into @phpacademy on YouTube. Their channel is brilliant and they explain everything in great detail--especially Alex.

Don't forget you can always check the 'manufacturers' website of the language you decide to learn, e.g:

Ryan090

Apr 9, 2013
I would like to start coding and im 13 but i do need abit of help. I watch tutorials and i do understand it but its confusing all i need really is someone who is a pro or knows how to code retros/Websites/Rps etc... ;) If you want to help me Reply or PM me. Thanks ;)

-Ryan

Hindi

System.out.println(" ");
Dec 30, 2012
I would like to start coding and im 13 but i do need abit of help. I watch tutorials and i do understand it but its confusing all i need really is someone who is a pro or knows how to code retros/Websites/Rps etc... ;) If you want to help me Reply or PM me. Thanks ;)

-Ryan
wth "code retros"

Snappy

^^^^UpHosting^^^^
Aug 29, 2013
Hey, What do you mean, I would like to Code RP's More but as well as Websites, Retros etc..
Hmm well I can help code programmes in vb c c++ c#
but coding RETROS loooool you don't code a retro unless you want to code a emulator or custom skin

Sway

Ruby and Python are married.
Dec 19, 2010
Some of the best advice that I can give you is to not worry too much about the specifics. Just get the concept and move on, no need to memorize what you can look up. Read the documentations and how a certain something works and as long as you know what it does and how to use it, you don't have to worry too much about it. This makes learning a lot more easier.

Also, don't be afraid to jump head first into something. That is an amazing way to do it actually. Just dive in and start coding. I'll say this again, though: read the documentations. Reading instructions on how to make rice makes it so much easier, right? Reading the instructions on how to use something in whichever programming language you learn will make doing that thing much easier.

I should leave something else before I go... never books (if that really needs explaining: never use a book to learn).

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Some of the best advice that I can give you is to not worry too much about the specifics. Just get the concept and move on, no need to memorize what you can look up. Read the documentations and how a certain something works and as long as you know what it does and how to use it, you don't have to worry too much about it. This makes learning a lot more easier.

Also, don't be afraid to jump head first into something. That is an amazing way to do it actually. Just dive in and start coding. I'll say this again, though: read the documentations. Reading instructions on how to make rice makes it so much easier, right? Reading the instructions on how to use something in whichever programming language you learn will make doing that thing much easier.

I should leave something else before I go... never books (if that really needs explaining: never use a book to learn).
Don't know how you can justify what you've said in your last sentence? Some people find it easier to learn from books rather than following tutorial videos, researching on the Internet etc. The only bad thing with learning from a book is: it's not digital (obviously), so if there is an error in the book, it can't be corrected unlike a tutorial on a website.

Trill

Jul 11, 2013
The moral of the OP is that he wants us to spoon feed him. Why not learn the basics then move onto programming languages?

Sway

Dec 19, 2010
Don't know how you can justify what you've said in your last sentence? Some people find it easier to learn from books rather than following tutorial videos, researching on the Internet etc. The only bad thing with learning from a book is: it's not digital (obviously), so if there is an error in the book, it can't be corrected unlike a tutorial on a website.

The problem with learning from a book is that you are learning how to do something from someone else's perspective and not your own. You are learning how to program their way instead of your own. Some people do find it easier, but I would much rather recommend reading the documentations or researching over learning strictly from a book.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
The problem with learning from a book is that you are learning how to do something from someone else's perspective and not your own. You are learning how to program their way instead of your own. Some people do find it easier, but I would much rather recommend reading the documentations or researching over learning strictly from a book.
It's the same with video tutorials, that's someone else's perspective.

GohanSSJ

Ya.
Feb 18, 2013
Just going to try to ignore the ignorant reply Dan made because that was as said before very ignorant as well that he probably achieved being 1337 on editing themes and thinks that changing texts is coding.

Anyway I've always had the struggle and I'm still having it because I've already learned HTML and CSS and i don't know what to move on to. It's so hard for me.

I've tried PHP and some guy tried to learn me via Skype but that didn't really help either so I don't know what i should probably do now ( Maybe just give up )

Kalcor

May 5, 2012
As many people have said Trial & Error is the best. I learned through w33schools and I learned through tutorials, and using peoples code with permission.

Sway

Dec 19, 2010
It's the same with video tutorials, that's someone else's perspective.

I would still recommend reading the documentations over watching a video but I don't think videos are exactly the same as books. When I watch a video tutorial, I first see what the person did in the video, then do it myself afterwards with the knowledge I gained from that video. It's probably just my experience, but with books, instead of paying attention to what is being done, you pay attention to how it's being done, and that is why I wouldn't recommend someone to learn directly from a book, because you learn their style of doing things instead of figuring out your own.

Rama

Jan 4, 2011
Half the programmers on devbest would prefer not to tell the secret on how they code, which just shows how long it must have taken them to program, independently, with nobody's help.

GohanSSJ

Ya.
Feb 18, 2013
Dan.

You better get your life sorted out because there is no way that you can code and there is a way that you can edit and it doesn't matter if you edit things because for me it's a learning process but don't try to improve yourself with little stupid stories telling that you are a way better programmer then anyone here because in this case your not.

Your probably lost as well as your English is because your saying that your coding programs and I'm just editing well give us a prove that you programming and I'm editing then I'd love to see your statement ccome true rather then talking ignorant shit.

Stop being ignorant & Obnixious and just admit the fact that your not able to do anything other then talking non-sense.

Liked the way you like my post because you knew this was true and yet this is no fight it's a opinion I'm making towards your obnixious post.

Last edited:

Snappy

^^^^UpHosting^^^^
Aug 29, 2013
Dan.

You better get your life sorted out because there is no way that you can code and there is a way that you can edit and it doesn't matter if you edit things because for me it's a learning process but don't try to improve yourself with little stupid stories telling that you are a way better programmer then anyone here because in this case your not.

Your probably lost as well as your English is because your saying that your coding programs and I'm just editing well give us a prove that you programming and I'm editing then I'd love to see your statement ccome true rather then talking ignorant shit.

Stop being ignorant & Obnixious and just admit the fact that your not able to do anything other then talking non-sense.

Liked the way you like my post because you knew this was true and yet this is no fight it's a opinion I'm making towards your obnixious post.
U know what im gunna release my coded webbrowser!

GohanSSJ

Ya.
Feb 18, 2013
Your going to release a web-browser that anyone could make with just a simple tutorial.

You may just want to stop talking trash and get some real work dome before calling yourself better than anyone else because you are a complete ignorant thirteen your old child now go back to your dreams and dream on.

Markshall

Русский Стандарт
Contributor
Dec 18, 2010
Could this not be moved to coding section lol?

Seems to be turning into a hell thread on how to code lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread