Introduction Coding & RastaLulz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rama

Jan 4, 2011
Hi, I'd like to tell you a little bit about myself before I start. I joined devbest in around 2010, and after looking around into the habbo world and around the forum, devbest, was starting to get really interested into computers, the fundamentals of them and how they actually work.

At about 2012, I came to know the people behind these. Rastalulz one of them, Sledmore another, and I can just sit here naming all the open source developers that have contributed a lot to the community. What really got me started was, when I was sat there one day, going over devbest, and stumbled across Rastalulz's profile. His status was, 'From the time I was given, I am what I am.' When I came to realise his age, which is about 20, that was when I really started to kick myself. I am a few years younger then him, yet, I have achieved nothing compared to him. My dream was to work in the computing industry, start programming and just explore these wonderful machines and how they work. From the time I was given, who am I? That made me think, have I wasted my time, could have I done something better? I instantly started to try and get into how RastaLulz achieved such great things which he probably may not even notice at times, I really wanted some answers. I wanted to be him.

I was sitting there in School hoping I would be taught a programming language, every lesson. All I was taught, was the basics of python which I forgot within a week.

I don't know one single language at the moment, and my main goal is to learn a language before the age of 20, and maybe develop things like Rastalulz is doing. I also recently noticed that he spends a lot of time talking to users, helping people who need help, even though he doesn't profit from it. I thought that was his secret, but no, there's something more about how he achieved all this.

So yes, putting my boring story to the side, I was maybe suggesting that Devbest could probably open a new forum up for beginner's learning how to program, maybe even experienced people teaching others how to program. After all, there is going to be a change of generation! I would also like suggestions on how it should be taught, how other experienced programmers had got what they got, and would really love to hear Rasta's or Sledmore's story.

Thanks a lot guys,
Rama

Macemore

Circumcised pineapples
Aug 26, 2011
"When I came to realise his age", so 5 minutes ago?
Go to youtube to lrn2progrem, go to college to lrn2pro and get a job some where with benefits

Sysode

Front-End Developer
Dec 11, 2012
So you've learnt your first lesson: school teaches you shit all to do with programming. Go learn yourself like everyone else has :p

RastaLulz

fight teh power
Staff member
May 3, 2010
As oppose to have a section dedicated to members teaching you how to code, you'd be much better off watching tutorials on YouTube and reading up on stuff. Trial and error is the way to go.

Rama

Jan 4, 2011
As oppose to have a section dedicated to members teaching you how to code, you'd be much better off watching tutorials on YouTube and reading up on stuff. Trial and error is the way to go.
Did you start like that? What age?

LeChris

github.com/habbo-hotel
Sep 30, 2013
Im 14 and started a year ago. I have learned HTML,CSS, and basic PHP with mysql

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
'From the time I was given, I am what I am.'
I like that quote, may have to steal it someday.

Putting that aside, Trial & Error is the key to success.
There are many videos and forums dedicated to programming.

Codeacademy I have heard is a good one, I have visited it a couple of times to look around but havent really spent much time there.

Another good learning curve, is to take other peoples code (with permission), modify it in one way or another so it functions differently, get to know the code, how it functions etc...
Then set out to build your own system similar to that of the persons code you used to play around with

Rama

Jan 4, 2011
I like that quote, may have to steal it someday.

Putting that aside, Trial & Error is the key to success.
There are many videos and forums dedicated to programming.

Codeacademy I have heard is a good one, I have visited it a couple of times to look around but havent really spent much time there.

Another good learning curve, is to take other peoples code (with permission), modify it in one way or another so it functions differently, get to know the code, how it functions etc...
Then set out to build your own system similar to that of the persons code you used to play around with
Which language do you think is best learning first?

zMagenta

Posting Freak
Jul 15, 2011
Depends what you want to go into. Web (Design) or programming. For web, I would recommend HTML then CSS, then bringing in PHP/jQuery etc. For programming? Python is good to get a grip on what 'programming' is.

Kaz

BooYah
Staff member
Nov 16, 2010
The questions you need to ask yourself are:
Why do I want to code? What do I want to make?

From there you can determine which languages you need/want to learn to accomplish your task

Rama

Jan 4, 2011
The questions you need to ask yourself are:
Why do I want to code? What do I want to make?

From there you can determine which languages you need/want to learn to accomplish your task
I want to be a habbo developer, like Jammy-Jackson, he develops emulator's & CMS'. - And he is only about 13.

VaginaMuncher

Chilling with me bitch Fiona
Mar 17, 2013
Don't be inspired by Jammy, he's shit, he's messy.
Okay you need to develop your web design skills for cms editing/making
Learn HTML,CSS,PHP,jQuery all come in handy.
Programming emulation servers? Idk not my thing

Adil

DevBest CEO
May 28, 2011
Python, a functional language (Haskell, Clojure, Scala, etc) and C
If you wanna do web dev, throw in js, html & css

Heaplink

Developer & Designer
Nov 9, 2011
I started when I was about 11 years old - using mspaint, Frontpage and horrible framesets in XHTML. Didn't know anything about anything else. Back in the days there werent YouTube so I basically googled (which is how I learned how to search on Google, the right way) me the way through HTML, CSS and later PHP.

Followed and tried to recreate what others were doing ( e.g.) and learned everything about it. Followed the technologies, which are now HTML5 and read about features and tried them out.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you're into web stuff, take a look at HTML5. Read documentation, read (open) source codes from others and play with them (recreate, hack, etc.) - If you're into programming, software, hardware etc. look into the many languages and find one that suits you - C/C++/C#, Python, PHP, Ruby, etc.

You'll be amazed when you get older how fast you learned and cannot remember how you actually learned them - but only if you really have passion for it.

Not only a language teaches you how to code, also the technologies such as how engines, compilers and so on works will help you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread